• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Proposal - [F9] Train Operations Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:32 PM

Scott, are you running the unstable version? And if so do you use ReShade?
I've been using MG forever.
Something about the word unstable makes me hesitant.

Randy

#42 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 January 2024 - 02:23 PM

Scott, I breeched this idea years ago with my Camera Set proposal. Part one was all about the sets and whatever cameras were wanted, Part two was creating target GUI's for specific sets that included the most common commands for a role assigned to that set. One of the roles I called the Brakeman which would appear when you selected the Brakeman camera set. Your thinking in the basenote is very similar to what I had in mind even to the point of attaching the Brakeman's camera to a car.

Also relevant to your idea is my suggestion to add OwnerId() and CarNumber() to .wags so that data could appear in the sprite display above the cars in the train. One step further, move the track sprites out of the global display into one specific to an activity so the player knows the name of where he is supposed to spot or pick up cars without the clutter of sprite text that is irrelevant, and lastly add LadingName() and LadingMass() to the car data in .com files so it too could be displayed somewhere.

In total, the player would have cameras designed for the brakemans job, a gui with his most commonly used commands, sprite text for only the tracks he needs to know about, car initial and number that actually matches what is on the skin of the car, and for good measure information about the lading for the purpose of adding some color/depth to what the player is doing.

Obviously nothing of the above was done. I will suggest the above is very much in line with what you would like to see. If that's right consider that with camera sets you could add roles for engineer, fireman, conductor with the most common commands for each. IOW aligned with your idea X4.

#43 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 January 2024 - 04:53 PM

View PostSiebren, on 19 January 2024 - 10:58 AM, said:

hi Scott,

thanks for your testing and your nice words. Most of the credits go to Mauricio as he did al the artwork. Which makes it really wow...! And came up with the idea. I just created the web interface.

I tested that web interface with a Galaxy Tab A (2018, 10.5) running android. Has a resolution of 1920x1200. On that tablet pressing works ok. Certainly not needed to press 5 to 10 times. Makes the interface useless for you. As a programmer I would try to debug the iPad remotely, but I have no iPad.

regards, Siebren.

Hi Siebren,

I ran it again on my iPad - it worked far better - perhaps my iPad was dirty or having a bad day - LOL. It's also better in landscape vs portrait. You can scratch that feedback from my list.

Thank you again.
:)

Regards,
Scott

#44 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 19 January 2024 - 04:56 PM

View Poststeved, on 19 January 2024 - 12:32 PM, said:

Randy

Hi Randy,

I did switch back to unstable - specifically to run this new tool.

I normally run in the bright sunshine - so I turn up the brightness - I know you like creating those beautiful moody screenshots - so it might not work for you.

It's stable enough - I never have any real issues.
;)

Regards,
Scott

#45 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 19 January 2024 - 05:07 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 19 January 2024 - 02:23 PM, said:

Scott, I breeched this idea years ago with my Camera Set proposal. Part one was all about the sets and whatever cameras were wanted, Part two was creating target GUI's for specific sets that included the most common commands for a role assigned to that set. One of the roles I called the Brakeman which would appear when you selected the Brakeman camera set. Your thinking in the basenote is very similar to what I had in mind even to the point of attaching the Brakeman's camera to a car.

Also relevant to your idea is my suggestion to add OwnerId() and CarNumber() to .wags so that data could appear in the sprite display above the cars in the train. One step further, move the track sprites out of the global display into one specific to an activity so the player knows the name of where he is supposed to spot or pick up cars without the clutter of sprite text that is irrelevant, and lastly add LadingName() and LadingMass() to the car data in .com files so it too could be displayed somewhere.

In total, the player would have cameras designed for the brakemans job, a gui with his most commonly used commands, sprite text for only the tracks he needs to know about, car initial and number that actually matches what is on the skin of the car, and for good measure information about the lading for the purpose of adding some color/depth to what the player is doing.

Obviously nothing of the above was done. I will suggest the above is very much in line with what you would like to see. If that's right consider that with camera sets you could add roles for engineer, fireman, conductor with the most common commands for each. IOW aligned with your idea X4.

Hi Dave,

I understand - yep - these tasks could certainly all use work - but - as a non-programmer - all we can do is attempt to make a clear case - present it as best we can - and - hope a developer finds merit in it - enough to donate their valuable time to the task. I haven't a clue on how these guys work their magic - I'm a modeler - I know Unix shell scripting fairly well, a very little C, and about the same with Python. I wish I could be of more help - I just don't have any ideas.

Regards,
Scott

#46 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2024 - 05:08 PM

View Poststeved, on 19 January 2024 - 12:32 PM, said:

Randy

Randy, pay no bother to the terminology....there is only one stable version Ver1.5 --- all the rest are technically unstable. If I remember correctly unstable used to be called testing.

#47 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2024 - 08:51 AM

View PostWeter, on 19 January 2024 - 10:53 PM, said:

Hello, Gerry.
Actually, there are three kinds of "official" versions:
Stable (currently 1.5.1), weekly testing (more or less debugged) and unstable (updated after every approved code modification)
See more there.

Oh yeah...I remember that page, entirely slipped my mind when posting the explanation of various versions. Thanks. https://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

#48 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 27 January 2024 - 07:58 AM

Hi Folks,

One issue that I've noticed.

Is that when you connect to a Loose Consist in an activity - every handbrake is set to "on" and every brake hose is "disconnected".

I don't think this reflects real world practices.

Would it be possible to introduce a method to "Connect All" and/or "Set/Release All"?

With long car strings - it's a bit tedious - to get them all set to move.

Thanks for the consideration.
:)

Regards,
Scott

#49 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 27 January 2024 - 08:14 AM

weter said:

try Shift+/

Hi Weter,

Oh - let me give that a try - is that just hand brakes?

Thanks.

Regards,
Scott

#50 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 27 January 2024 - 08:18 AM

weter said:

No, Scott, That is for resetting all breaks to running and normal state: BC&BP's air pressure, hoses, valves, handbrakes (or not?)

Hi Weter,

Oh - I knew that one - yep - artificially resets EVERYTHING.

I guess that can work for now.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Scott

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users