• You cannot reply to this topic

Shape File Manager Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 December 2023 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for tip: I should check rights, because every time I run TGAtool2, I've being asked, whether I sure to run this "suspicious" program...

#32 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 05 December 2023 - 10:34 PM

View PostWeter, on 05 December 2023 - 03:43 PM, said:

Thanks for tip: I should check rights, because every time I run TGAtool2, I've being asked, whether I sure to run this "suspicious" program...

Software that isn't digitally signed can or will do that.
When an executable is digitally signed, it has embedded within it information about its origin and a digital signature called a hash. Comparing the stored hash to a fresh hash of the current executable file should prove whether the executable file has been tampered with. For digitally signed executables, Windows will check this each time before the program is started. If the hash check fails, it will provide a warning and confirmation before running it. With the digital signature missing, Windows will say "I can't tell if this file has been tampered with or not, are you sure you want to run it?"

Ideally, all published and downloadable software is digitally signed. But, that costs money, since one must purchase (or "lease") a digital certificate for use in the signing process to attest to its origin, and those have yearly fees.

For the modern locked-down operating systems, it really helps to have utilities and even Open Rails/MSTS NOT be installed to \Program Files (x86).
(Remember, that on a 64-bit Windows operating system, \Program Files\ is for 64-bit software and \Program Files (x86)\ is for 32-bit software.)

The ffeditc_unicode.exe program requires multiple files in its folder to tell it how to work, so if those are missing, it definitely won't work. I'm betting that's what fixed your problem, R H.

#33 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:39 AM

View PostNZ_JOHN, on 02 December 2023 - 01:32 AM, said:

sfm.hta will not open in Windows 11.
My version is SFM25
Looks like the SFM.hta needs to be SFM.exe
Is there a fix for this?
Thanks

We have not heard back from NZJohn....did you get it fixed?

#34 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:55 PM

Thanks, Joseph.
But what is interesting:
- two notebooks(laptops) with w10
- the same TGATool2dxt installation file
On one system - no confirmation required, on the other - things are as I've told.

#35 User is offline   NZ_JOHN 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:17 PM

SFM25 works on my win10 but not on my win11
I've used a couple of hta to exe programs but the converted files come up with corrupt or error. If someone can get it to work I wouldn't mind a copy of the exe file to prove it's not my win11 computer
Thanks

#36 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:25 PM

I keep all of my train/hobby stuff on a separate physical drive. I know you can't do that on a laptop. Well, you can if you partition the drive.
The only thing I have installed in the programs folders that I use on trains is new, current, software, I guess Paint dot Net's it. Everything else is on a separate drive.
Windows doesn't care what I do.

Randy

#37 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 07 December 2023 - 02:02 AM

Hi John,

I've used a couple of hta to exe programs but the converted files come up with corrupt or error. If someone can get it to work I wouldn't mind a copy of the exe file to prove it's not my win11 computer

I don't use Windows 11 but have used Vaysoft HTA to EXE convertor to convert sfm25.hta to sfm25.exe. It seems to run OK but as I used the trial version of the program, it may stop working after 30 days!! You are welcome to try it, but please make sure that it can 'see' FFEDITc_unicode.exe - I suggest putting sfm25.exe in the same folder as sfm25.hta.

Please be aware that your anti-virus may take exception to sfm25.exe. During my testing, Windows Defender didn't like it and deleted it, but I don't know why - a new conversion and use didn't cause any problems.

Cheers,
Ged

Attached File(s)

#38 User is offline   NZ_JOHN 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 07 December 2023 - 06:49 PM

View Postslipperman, on 07 December 2023 - 02:02 AM, said:

Hi John,

I don't use Windows 11 but have used Vaysoft HTA to EXE convertor to convert sfm25.hta to sfm25.exe. It seems to run OK but as I used the trial version of the program, it may stop working after 30 days!! You are welcome to try it, but please make sure that it can 'see' FFEDITc_unicode.exe - I suggest putting sfm25.exe in the same folder as sfm25.hta.

Please be aware that your anti-virus may take exception to sfm25.exe. During my testing, Windows Defender didn't like it and deleted it, but I don't know why - a new conversion and use didn't cause any problems.

Cheers,
Ged

Tried it but Windows Defender didnt like it
I got
"Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software."
Trojan Script/Sabsik.flp.aimi

Has anyone else got it work?

#39 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 08 December 2023 - 06:51 AM

The tool really needs to be re-writte from the ground up with a newer language/interface.

#40 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 08 December 2023 - 07:20 AM

View PostNZ_JOHN, on 07 December 2023 - 06:49 PM, said:

Tried it but Windows Defender didnt like it
I got
"Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software."
Trojan Script/Sabsik.flp.aimi

Has anyone else got it work?

Hi John,
Sorry you're having trouble. I've just tried rerunning the file I sent to you and, again, didn't receive any messages from Defender. I also scanned sfm25.exe with Defender which didn't report anything.

It could be that Defender in Win 11 is less tolerant than that in Win10!

Cheers,
Ged

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users