Elvas Tower: Reworking the Dispatcher Window - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reworking the Dispatcher Window How could we make it more intuitive? Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 August 2023 - 02:45 AM

Under U2023.08.25-0607 The map window can be closed ok and play resumed. The exception seems fixed thank you.
To clarify. Under the old arangements static consists were shown under the dispatch window but not in the timetable window. Under the new arrangement static consists ar not shown at all. This is why I was not keen on it.
I am not a coder, but wouldn`t the code for the old type dispatch window show how static consists could be displayed in the new map window?
Thanks, Rick

#32 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 25 August 2023 - 04:19 AM

View Postrickloader, on 25 August 2023 - 02:45 AM, said:

To clarify. Under the old arangements static consists were shown under the dispatch window but not in the timetable window. Under the new arrangement static consists ar not shown at all. This is why I was not keen on it.
I am not a coder, but wouldn`t the code for the old type dispatch window show how static consists could be displayed in the new map window?
Thanks, Rick

I think I have it figured out, but I can't test it because I don't have any timetable routes with static consists. By the way, just to be sure, static consists are exclusive to timetable mode, right?

I'm still struggling with localization too, and it seems like the process is not documented anywhere at all. Could someone who has already dealt with this lend me a hand? Thanks in advance. :-)

#33 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 25 August 2023 - 10:55 AM

hi Looky! I can test static consists in in timetable mode for you. I don`t know about static consists in other modes. In timetables I expect there is a static "class" (?) But I`m out of my depth here. Thanks for taking trouble over this,
In developing the timetables it will be very useful to have active, passive, static trains together with path and signal info.
Thanks, Rick

#34 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 25 August 2023 - 11:46 AM

View PostLooky1173, on 25 August 2023 - 04:19 AM, said:

. By the way, just to be sure, static consists are exclusive to timetable mode, right?

Static consists are part of activity/dispatcher mode as well.

#35 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 25 August 2023 - 11:34 PM

Please could we pause here and review the function of the map window?
In my view the importance is in giving an overview of the network performance. The extended dispatcherHUD does too, but only the timetable map window shows the position of trains in relation to each. So a timetable compiler will spend many hours staring at the map window watching trains. I imagine this would be true of a multiplayer dispatcher. It is very satisfying to see 50 or more trains moving round the network. manual 17.9.5
When trains get "stuck" all of the info in the extended F5 HUD is needed to to trouble shoot. But the dispatcher window is superior because it shows locations of other affecting trains.
Chris kindly enabled much (but not all) of the extended HUD in the timetable viewer. How, and how much of the HUD info can be shown in the map window needs to be considered. Sometimes the full info is not shown. This is not essential all the time and I`m not sure why the full info sometimes reduces. Different colours can replace some text eg for a delayed train
When trains are in trouble the HUD shows - (No) = not shown in present timetable viewer. My comments
D delayed (No)
Internal train number. needed to identify conflicting trains
Train name
Distance travelled (no)
Speed (no) - not needed evident from map
max speed (no) - not needed
AI mode what the train is doing - vital
AI data (no) -throttle / brake also next time event
Auth - signal etc authorisation. Important error conditions
Distance - to authority event - not needed
Signal - current aspect for train
distance - (no) to signal - not needed
Path info - very important. gives sub path counter conflicts deadlock with other trains

Chris provided a link button to the manual explaining the HUD. A good idea?
Often the dispatcher window gives enough info to cure problems. If not the other diagnostic windows are needed . Like CTRL+ALT+F6 track items or CTRL+ALT+F11 signals. or train list window F9 something or other
Who the heck can remember these key combos? Let`s have a button or at least a reminder on the window.
Finally staring hours at a white screen is hard on the eyes . please let`s have optional soft background colours
Thanks, Rick

#36 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 26 August 2023 - 12:31 AM

View Postrickloader, on 25 August 2023 - 10:55 AM, said:

hi Looky! I can test static consists in in timetable mode for you. I don`t know about static consists in other modes. In timetables I expect there is a static "class" (?) But I`m out of my depth here. Thanks for taking trouble over this,
In developing the timetables it will be very useful to have active, passive, static trains together with path and signal info.
Thanks, Rick

I've just pushed some code changes to include static consists in the Map window; they are to be expected in the next unstable release (after U2023.08.25-1822 2023-08-25 19:28:17). Please let me know if static consists do show up this time. They be coloured bright cyan.

View Postcopperpen, on 25 August 2023 - 11:46 AM, said:

Static consists are part of activity/dispatcher mode as well.

Thanks for confirming that; I thought the contrary and I was about to make showing static consists in the Map window exclusive to timetable mode. Thanks again! ;-)

View Postrickloader, on 25 August 2023 - 11:34 PM, said:

Please could we pause here and review the function of the map window?
In my view the importance is in giving an overview of the network performance. The extended dispatcherHUD does too, but only the timetable map window shows the position of trains in relation to each. So a timetable compiler will spend many hours staring at the map window watching trains. I imagine this would be true of a multiplayer dispatcher. It is very satisfying to see 50 or more trains moving round the network. manual 17.9.5
When trains get "stuck" all of the info in the extended F5 HUD is needed to to trouble shoot. But the dispatcher window is superior because it shows locations of other affecting trains.
Chris kindly enabled much (but not all) of the extended HUD in the timetable viewer. How, and how much of the HUD info can be shown in the map window needs to be considered. Sometimes the full info is not shown. This is not essential all the time and I`m not sure why the full info sometimes reduces. Different colours can replace some text eg for a delayed train
When trains are in trouble the HUD shows - (No) = not shown in present timetable viewer. My comments
D delayed (No)
Internal train number. needed to identify conflicting trains
Train name
Distance travelled (no)
Speed (no) - not needed evident from map
max speed (no) - not needed
AI mode what the train is doing - vital
AI data (no) -throttle / brake also next time event
Auth - signal etc authorisation. Important error conditions
Distance - to authority event - not needed
Signal - current aspect for train
distance - (no) to signal - not needed
Path info - very important. gives sub path counter conflicts deadlock with other trains
Thanks, Rick

Rick, could you please compile a list of informations that should be shown in the Map window but are currently not? Thanks, I'm asking because I don't clearly understand from your list above which informations are, at the present, exclusive to the extended HUD but should be shown in the Map window as well.

View Postrickloader, on 25 August 2023 - 11:34 PM, said:

Finally staring hours at a white screen is hard on the eyes . please let`s have optional soft background colours
Thanks, Rick

I have already added an experimental dark theme to the Map window, which can be toggled with Map customization > Rotate between themes. I will certainly make more themes in the future which will be softer on the eyes. What about a "solarized" theme?

#37 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 26 August 2023 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for your reply The (no) in my list means that the HUD information is not currently in the dispatcher window. Of course, we don`t want too much on screen.
I would like to see "D" for delayed trains or maybe the train has a slightly different colour.
Also "AI Data" This gives throttle and brake setting. Also for inactive trains the time when it activates. It would be useful to include this.
Yes the solarized backgrounds would be great please. I like base 2 and 3. What do others think?
I will look for the next updates and let you know.
Thanks Rick

#38 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 26 August 2023 - 07:28 AM

Translated .po should then be used to create new localized *.dll files, for game to get translated strings.
Compilation is being made by running update-dlls.bat
Wish you success!
Update.bat updates all (.pot&.dll), placing them to ../program subfolder.
So, they should be placed into folder with .exe files, you running (into localized, i.e. hu subfolder)

#39 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 26 August 2023 - 07:42 AM

Sorry, mervin.
Manual tells us (timetsble concept chapter, introduction), that activity mode, inherited from msts, and timetable mode have different classes for defining static/lost consists. So, lost consist is defined in act-file, while static consist is a special instance of tt train class, which has no task, but later can be picked up by other train.

#40 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 26 August 2023 - 09:17 AM

Thanks Weter. for clarifying. I have an idea for your accelerated timetable request. What would happen if the Map window were the main window and was displayed during the pre run process? You would see the network at 5 second intervals, the speed depending on how fast your computer can execute. Would the screen render keep pace? Would this give a fast and useful speeded up timetable?
Should we discuss in a new thread so we don`t spoil Looky`s thread?
In my list of dispatcher HUD parameters I forgot that D is for delayed trains, and in addition there are alternatives P for passenger and F freight. Might be nice to include that?
Looky, I don`t yet see static consists in U2023.08.26-0907 with all trains checked? Should they be visible in this build?
Rick

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users