Elvas Tower: Reworking the Dispatcher Window - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reworking the Dispatcher Window How could we make it more intuitive? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 20 August 2023 - 09:06 AM

Hello.

Can the windows be turned off or transferred to a smart device?
The visible track is greatly reduced. At Multi, players will wait for the traffic controller to focus on their station. 120 km with many, many stations will test your nerves of traffic control skills.

Sincerely, Laci1959

#12 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 August 2023 - 09:31 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 19 August 2023 - 11:22 AM, said:

"for-unstable" label now added, so please would users try it out and provide feedback.

Thank you for adding the label!

View PostLaci1959, on 20 August 2023 - 09:06 AM, said:

Hello.

Can the windows be turned off or transferred to a smart device?
The visible track is greatly reduced. At Multi, players will wait for the traffic controller to focus on their station. 120 km with many, many stations will test your nerves of traffic control skills.

Sincerely, Laci1959

Hello, the "Map customization" panel can be collapsed and the Dispatcher window can be maximized to get the most out of the map. Here's how that looks like:

Attached Image: Screenshot 2023-08-20 193021.jpg

#13 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 21 August 2023 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for tidying up the Dispatch controls - sorely needed.

I think we should continue to call it the "Map Window" as it's not just useful for dispatching.

We've also lost the "Daylight offset (hrs)" control. I find that useful to see what's happening when working with timetables that start at midnight.

It doesn't need to be a numerical control on this form as before. A pair of keystrokes similar to "Debug Fog Increase/Decrease" would be just as useful, since it's purely a visual effect.

Does anyone else find it useful?

#14 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2023 - 11:54 AM

First, thanks to the volunteer effort to make some changes to the map window...needed. Thank you. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

Why do the changes only apply to the Timetable Window?
Dispatch Window does not have option to change background color. I run mostly freight and switching, would find a different background color for the Dispatch window helpful, perhaps a light grey --- a "dark option" would be welcome.

Tested using version >>>> U2023.08.21-0707 2023-08-21 08-13-11

#15 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 22 August 2023 - 02:26 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 21 August 2023 - 07:51 AM, said:

I think we should continue to call it the "Map Window" as it's not just useful for dispatching.

That makes sense --- I've renamed it to "Map window".

View Postcjakeman, on 21 August 2023 - 07:51 AM, said:

We've also lost the "Daylight offset (hrs)" control. I find that useful to see what's happening when working with timetables that start at midnight.

It doesn't need to be a numerical control on this form as before. A pair of keystrokes similar to "Debug Fog Increase/Decrease" would be just as useful, since it's purely a visual effect.

I'm having trouble figuring out in which file that should go. Should I put it in Weather.cs, with the fog commands?

View PostR H Steele, on 21 August 2023 - 11:54 AM, said:

Why do the changes only apply to the Timetable Window?
Dispatch Window does not have option to change background color. I run mostly freight and switching, would find a different background color for the Dispatch window helpful, perhaps a light grey --- a "dark option" would be welcome.

I'm not sure I understand --- I've merged the "Dispatch" and "Timetable" tabs into one unified view. I will look into adding a dark theme to the whole window, including the map. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

#16 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 22 August 2023 - 05:37 AM

I've implemented the foundations for theming the Map window. The colours need refining, but the general idea's there. These changes should be available in the very next unstable build (after U2023.08.21-0707 2023-08-21 08:13:11).

#17 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2023 - 10:04 AM

View PostLooky1173, on 22 August 2023 - 02:26 AM, said:

I'm having trouble figuring out in which file that should go. Should I put it in Weather.cs, with the fog commands?

Yes, please. I know it's more of a debug control than a weather one, but I don't see a better place than Weather.cs.

As it's a debug control, then the Alt modifier is the one to use for the keystroke (as suggested here).

#18 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2023 - 11:25 AM

Thought I was missing something http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pardon.gif ... good hunch on my part.... new key command Control+Shift+9 --- brings up new Map Window...all good now...apologies for the interruption.

I think we need more feedback on other preferred background colors. Again, much thanks for tackling this, credit deserved. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/good2.gif

#19 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 August 2023 - 08:55 AM

Hello.
Thanks for your work once again.
In my localization its called "map tablet".
Prefer green is option, whether all signals out of train's prepared path should be red by default "(closed), or green (opened).
Localization is tags for gettext, which strings have to be extracted.
See source code with poedit to learn their syntax.
Tbc

#20 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 23 August 2023 - 01:34 PM

I don`t use Multiplayer, and I believe these changes only apply to that mode?
In timetable mode the ctrl 9 map window has 2 distinct options "dispatch and timetable" Both are useful and give info not available in the other window. In particular, Chris Jakeman gave many useful features in the timetable window, including the time offset to allow dayliight in night operations. A real help in timetable develoment. The windows should not be merged in this mode
I tried u2023.8.23 in timetable mode. The normal ctrl9 windows are OK. Shift Ctrl 9, the new arangement, does not give enough info and should not be adopted for timetable mode. Closing the map window gives an unhandled exception.
Do you want a log?
Rick

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users