Elvas Tower: Reworking the Dispatcher Window - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reworking the Dispatcher Window How could we make it more intuitive? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 August 2023 - 09:26 PM

View Postrickloader, on 23 August 2023 - 01:34 PM, said:

I don`t use Multiplayer, and I believe these changes only apply to that mode?
In timetable mode the ctrl 9 map window has 2 distinct options "dispatch and timetable" Both are useful and give info not available in the other window. In particular, Chris Jakeman gave many useful features in the timetable window, including the time offset to allow dayliight in night operations. A real help in timetable develoment. The windows should not be merged in this mode
I tried u2023.8.23 in timetable mode. The normal ctrl9 windows are OK. Shift Ctrl 9, the new arangement, does not give enough info and should not be adopted for timetable mode.

No, these changes apply to both timetable and multiplayer modes. I decided to merge the "Dispatch" & "Timetable" tabs because they complement each other and to remove some massive code duplication. When running in timetable mode, the new Map window automatically hides controls related to multiplayer mode, thus two tabs would be redundant. I've already reimplemented the Daylight offset control in the new Map window as a keyboard control (<Ctrl + Alt + ü>, <Ctrl + Alt + ó> --- at least on a Hungarian keyboard; I don't know what that corresponds to on other keyboards but it should be listed in the F1 Help window localized to the user's keyboard) but forgot to commit it. I'll rectify that soon! :-)

What information are you missing from the new Map window? Under "Map customization", you should find all the tweaks that were previously available in the old Map window.

View Postrickloader, on 23 August 2023 - 01:34 PM, said:

Closing the map window gives an unhandled exception.
Do you want a log?

On U2023.08.24, running the CTN test route, closing the new Map window works as expected. Could you please try to reproduce the crash on this version or higher? If it still occurs, please do send me a log.

#22 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 24 August 2023 - 12:45 AM

Logs attached for closing the map window in timetable mode. U2023.8.24.
I`m sorry, I don`t understand the removal of the time offset to a keyboard combination. In my opinion these are hard to remember although adding more seems to be ORTS policy. (finding the enhnaced dispatcher HUD window is very awkward)

The ommission is that static trains do not seem to be shown
sorry must continue later......................................

Attached File(s)

#23 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 24 August 2023 - 01:43 AM

I was called away.....
Static consists seem to disappear when detached. So you have an invisible consist that is impacting train running. I would think this even more important in dispatcher mode. Please can static consists be visible in the map window?
Returning to the time offset. Chris kindly made this because inexperienced users said they couldn`t see what to do in dark operations How will such sers cope with multi key combinations?

Multi key assignments are ok for testing new features , but in my view a menu button is far preferable, Yet it seens policy to make minimalist menus and maximum use of key combos. Which is acually best for users?. One for ORMT perhaps?

#24 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 24 August 2023 - 04:38 AM

View PostLooky1173, on 23 August 2023 - 09:26 PM, said:

I decided to merge the "Dispatch" & "Timetable" tabs because they complement each other and to remove some massive code duplication.

The Timetable window was originally just an experiment - hence the "massive code duplication" as the easiest way to get something visible and gain feedback. It should have been re-factored before becoming part of the release, so I am glad that you are doing this now.

I hope you can recover the "static consist" functionality that Rick has identified as missing.

#25 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 24 August 2023 - 05:18 AM

Thank you for the logs, Rick! I will investigate the issue.

View Postrickloader, on 24 August 2023 - 01:43 AM, said:

Static consists seem to disappear when detached. So you have an invisible consist that is impacting train running. I would think this even more important in dispatcher mode. Please can static consists be visible in the map window?

View Postcjakeman, on 24 August 2023 - 04:38 AM, said:

I hope you can recover the "static consist" functionality that Rick has identified as missing.

If they worked in the old timetable tab, they should work in the new Map window too. (Or are we talking about the "Dispatch" tab?) Have you selected the "All trains" radio button in "Map customization"?

View Postrickloader, on 24 August 2023 - 01:43 AM, said:

Returning to the time offset. Chris kindly made this because inexperienced users said they couldn`t see what to do in dark operations How will such sers cope with multi key combinations?

Multi key assignments are ok for testing new features , but in my view a menu button is far preferable, Yet it seens policy to make minimalist menus and maximum use of key combos. Which is acually best for users?. One for ORMT perhaps?

It was in fact Chris who suggested I convert the Daylight offset control into a keyboard command, because then it can be used quicker by not having to open the Map view. Nevertheless I would be happy to add it back to the window while keeping the keyboard commands.

#26 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 24 August 2023 - 07:19 AM

Rick, I've just pushed a fix for the crash --- it will be available in the next unstable release. The Daylight offset keyboard commands will be included too!

#27 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 24 August 2023 - 10:53 AM

View PostLooky1173, on 24 August 2023 - 05:18 AM, said:

It was in fact Chris who suggested I convert the Daylight offset control into a keyboard command, because then it can be used quicker by not having to open the Map view.

Sort of. I was thinking that the Daylight Offset (Hours) would be useful anywhere in game (e.g. activities), so should not be located just within the Timetable Window. I am hoping that there will be a Confirmation message telling the user how many hours are now offset.

I have no problem with the Timetable controls gaining a pair of buttons to duplicate your new keystrokes. As Rick says, there are a lot of keystrokes to remember!

#28 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 24 August 2023 - 10:56 AM

Thank you. I will report back when the new version is released. Thanks also for restoring the offset button . Inexperienced users will find this easierto find . Yes, I have been using "all trains" enabled
I apologize. it seems static consists were never shown in either map window. But surely they ought to be? I think that in both multiplayer and timetables it will be hard to understand the map window if there are invisible consists present.
Would it be a lot of work to display static consists, please?
Thanks Chris for your timetable map window. It is very much easier to use than staring at lines of text in the F5 Hud dispatcher. And this needs goodness knows how many key combinations to access! And thanks Looky for enhancing the interface.
Rick

#29 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 24 August 2023 - 11:03 AM

View Postrickloader, on 24 August 2023 - 10:56 AM, said:

Would it be a lot of work to display static consists, please?

I'm not familiar with how static consists are represented in the code, or even regular consists, but I will take a look at see if I can figure it out.
Edit: Actually I think I might be onto something... (Orts.Simulation.Simulator.Trains[TRAIN_NUMBER].TRAINTYPE.STATIC) [(foreach (Train staticConsist in simulator.Trains.Where(c => c.TrainType == Train.TRAINTYPE.STATIC) { }] but we will see tomorrow!

View Postcjakeman, on 24 August 2023 - 10:53 AM, said:

I am hoping that there will be a Confirmation message telling the user how many hours are now offset.

I wanted to add that but I don't know which class to use... and neither do I know how to add new strings for translation. I will try Poedit as Weter suggested.

#30 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 24 August 2023 - 11:55 PM

I managed to add a confirmation message when changing the daylight offset, but I couldn't get translations to work. I ran Update.bat in the Locales folder, which correctly added the new strings to localise in RunActivity.pot. Then, I opened the RunActivity hu.po file in Poedit, and updated it with Translation > Update from POT file. The new strings appeared as expected and I translated them to Hungarian. However, when I changed the OR language to Hungarian and ran RunActivity, the confirmation message was still in English (unlike everything else which was in Hungarian). What did I do wrong? Have I run the wrong bat files in the Locales folder, or missed to run some, or run them in the wrong order...?

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users