• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

debate - start Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Maximus 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:07 AM

Gokus sentence was analogous "Get yourself a time machine".
There is no insult that you can see in it. He simply has his own way of writing and is misunderstood.

Therefore, he should have rather written: "Get yourself a time machine, set the date to 16.09.2019 and the error is fixed by then".

Maximus
Since my English is not good enough, I wrote with a translation program

#22 User is offline   lateagain 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:06 AM

View PostMaximus, on 20 September 2018 - 12:07 AM, said:

Gokus sentence was analogous "Get yourself a time machine".
There is no insult that you can see in it. He simply has his own way of writing and is misunderstood.

Therefore, he should have rather written: "Get yourself a time machine, set the date to 16.09.2019 and the error is fixed by then".

Maximus
Since my English is not good enough, I wrote with a translation program
Iquite agree Maximus.

Well I am English. English is my first language. It is NOT Goku's first language. His English is not good but having read this, now rather sorry thread, I'd say that anyone taking that much offence to his answer (WHICH BTW I READ AS Maximus did) is frankly ludicrous.

There may be more to the communication than is here? ....but as I read it there is a functionality not yet working? If you use software that's a WIP there are ALWAYS going to be glitches aren't there? The OR team have been rather blunt in some of their replies to the few issues I queried but then I've been a union rep most of my working life so I'm used to listening to folk who are pissed off. My motto has always been "Never mind the language ...what are they REALLY saying"

Try that for a philosophy and maybe you won't be so easily upset? BTW that's ToWhomItMayConcern. If the cap fits, wear it.

...and btw since when did demanding completion schedules on freeware become acceptable behaviour? because some of the posts smack too much of that to me :thumbdown3:

#23 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:36 AM

View Postlateagain, on 20 September 2018 - 07:06 AM, said:

There may be more to the communication than is here?

<<ADMIN COMMENT>>

That is correct. It was made in the context of several years of abusive behaviors which I tolerated only because of his contribution. Any other member would have been shown the door years ago.

You should understand this event as the straw that broke the camels back.

The targeted person thought it was abusive; so did I. I have messages asking what took you so long?

It is unfortunate that a developer has been shown the door (He can continue to work with the OR team via e-mails) but the cause his his and his alone.

#24 User is offline   WaltN 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:31 AM

View Postlateagain, on 20 September 2018 - 07:06 AM, said:

Iquite agree Maximus.

Well I am English. English is my first language. It is NOT Goku's first language. His English is not good but having read this, now rather sorry thread, I'd say that anyone taking that much offence to his answer (WHICH BTW I READ AS Maximus did) is frankly ludicrous.

There may be more to the communication than is here? ....but as I read it there is a functionality not yet working? If you use software that's a WIP there are ALWAYS going to be glitches aren't there? The OR team have been rather blunt in some of their replies to the few issues I queried but then I've been a union rep most of my working life so I'm used to listening to folk who are pissed off. My motto has always been "Never mind the language ...what are they REALLY saying"

Try that for a philosophy and maybe you won't be so easily upset? BTW that's ToWhomItMayConcern. If the cap fits, wear it.

...and btw since when did demanding completion schedules on freeware become acceptable behaviour? because some of the posts smack too much of that to me :thumbdown3:

Baloney!

I asked him a straightforward question in this thread, and he replied that I should get a time machine. After I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out what he meant, I concluded that I should take it as an insult. He could have said he had a full plate and why. Perhaps I could have given him some help. But, no, he never intended to give me a straight answer. Every user seeking support on a forum should receive a reasonable response.

#25 User is offline   jtr1962 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

View PostWaltN, on 20 September 2018 - 10:31 AM, said:

Baloney!

I asked him a straightforward question in this thread, and he replied that I should get a time machine. After I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out what he meant, I concluded that I should take it as an insult. He could have said he had a full plate and why. Perhaps I could have given him some help. But, no, he never intended to give me a straight answer. Every user seeking support on a forum should receive a reasonable response.

I saw his post before Dave deleted it. While I personally wouldn't have taken it as an insult, I thought it was a cryptic response which really didn't answer your question. I was scratching my head for a while trying to figure out exactly what the point of such a post was. If you really don't have the time to answer a question, either don't post a response at all, or post something short like "I'm really busy. No time for more questions." In all fairness to Goku, I have no idea what his schedule looks like. He may have posted that after not sleeping for 48 hours. I've been there. I've done things under sleep deprivation which make me cringe when I look back on them.

#26 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

View PostWaltN, on 20 September 2018 - 10:31 AM, said:

...Every user seeking support on a forum should receive a reasonable response.

... but I don't think the answerer should be banned if he does not provide a clear response. I personally feel free to reply or not to OR questions, and this is an advantage of developing freeware.

#27 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:51 AM

Admin Comment

Carlo is right in saying each person determines for themselves which posts to answer. That said, it is an expectation of this board that all posts, including answers, do not disparage other members. Goku has a long history of doing exactly that. He could have written a different answer. He could have been less ambiguous. He could have included a smiley face. He didn't. If that had been his only offense he would not have been banned. The post would have been edited, a discussion ensued in which his intent was made clear, and all would be forgiven. But that course had already been closed.

Why stop him now? My answer is I had reached the end of my patience; I did what should have been done a long time ago. You guys might not have been here when Bill was around but Bill would have banned Goku on the first offense and been delighted in pulling the trigger. Bill LOVED to ban people. I don't. I never have and the matter of banning was the only topic of disagreement we had.

So let's stop this talk about a hasty, ill thought out decision. The question of when will he go has been the longest decision process of the 13-14 years of Admin duty I've put in here.

I really don't see any purpose in participating further in this debate. If the OR management wants me to set up some arrangement whereby he can post within the private forum and/or read posts in the software development area, that's ok w/ me, but I have no intention of letting Goku write posts or PM's to ordinary members. That bridge is burnt.

#28 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:30 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 20 September 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

Admin Comment
If the OR management wants me to set up some arrangement whereby he can post within the private forum and/or read posts in the software development area, that's ok w/ me, but I have no intention of letting Goku write posts or PM's to ordinary members. That bridge is burnt.

To me, an very reasonable and diplomatic solution to the situation, given ALL that has transpired.
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gifproud to be a member

(members who have stated they are leaving the board because of this dust-up should reconsider their hasty decisions)

#29 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:03 PM

Bad news folks. The ORMT made the decision to not give Goku a chance to have access to the Developers section and to not be part of the OR team????? In short, he was booted. I will try not think about this too much since if I do, I may get totally ticked off. At this point, Goku would have the right to remove all access to his code so if you have to ability to download it, I would do it soon.

Edward K.

#30 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:16 PM

I'm sorry but why would the Open Rails Team make this decision? In my opinion this is a horrible decision on there part! Goku has only helped the Open Rails Team out by making the Route Editor and Consist Editor that are both very handy! I understand if the Open Rails team wants to go in a different direction then what Goku wanted and have there own editors but it seems like its going backwards now.

Brandon

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users