debate - start Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:59 AM

View Postlandnrailroader, on 18 September 2018 - 04:00 AM, said:

Guys,

What happened, has Goku been banned, or what?.

Either that or he doesn’t want to hear about problems. I reported 2 problems with his CE in the Creating con Files section back on 30 July that have not been responded to.

#12 User is offline   WaltN 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:24 AM

View PostWaltN, on 18 September 2018 - 04:34 AM, said:

That deficiency has been around for quite a while. So I guess it was an insult!

That is a serious deficiency. How does he expect one to control grade on real terrain?

I updated to the most recent release (V0.6958), and the elevation display is still missing. Methinks he thought it was not necessary.

That's a show-stopper for me!

#13 User is offline   landnrailroader 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:00 AM

View Postcr-stagg, on 18 September 2018 - 04:59 AM, said:

Either that or he doesn’t want to hear about problems. I reported 2 problems with his CE in the Creating con Files section back on 30 July that have not been responded to.

Goku posted on TrainSim this morning that he has been banned from ElvasTower. As a result he will no
longer support ORTS with his editor. His editor will be backward compatible with MSTS/RE but there
will be no further changes, additions, etc. I rarely look at ElvasTower and now I will be checking
here a lot less. Personally, I believe the administrator should have delayed his action until it
was determined that the person asking the question was offended. My grandmother once told me to
be careful not to cut off my nose to spite my face. In banning Goku, this group has deprived
those of us who create routes of a very valuable tool and may force many of us to abandon the
MSTS platform. If I was younger (I'm 80) I would be moving to another platform, but now I intend
to continue on MSTS. So thanks administrator, you have damaged all of us route developers.

J. H. Sullivan
Florida
:thumbdown3:

#14 User is offline   WaltN 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:37 AM

View Postlandnrailroader, on 18 September 2018 - 06:00 AM, said:

Goku posted on TrainSim this morning that he has been banned from ElvasTower. As a result he will no
longer support ORTS with his editor. His editor will be backward compatible with MSTS/RE but there
will be no further changes, additions, etc. I rarely look at ElvasTower and now I will be checking
here a lot less. Personally, I believe the administrator should have delayed his action until it
was determined that the person asking the question was offended. My grandmother once told me to
be careful not to cut off my nose to spite my face. In banning Goku, this group has deprived
those of us who create routes of a very valuable tool and may force many of us to abandon the
MSTS platform. If I was younger (I'm 80) I would be moving to another platform, but now I intend
to continue on MSTS. So thanks administrator, you have damaged all of us route developers.

J. H. Sullivan
Florida
:thumbdown3:

In retrospect, I have no doubt that Goku intended an insult. That apparently is his habit when too many people come wanting the same thing. When I searched the forum this morning, I came up with three people that missed the elevation display in Properties, which is documented in Goku's TSRE5 manual. Apparently, he resorts to insults when ignoring the problem doesn't go away.

I too am 80. I intend to continue to document my work on achieving realistic procedural curves on a grade and then abandon route editing.

I rise in defense of the administrator. It was a continual habit of Goku to insult users.

#15 User is offline   jtr1962 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:58 AM

I understand both sides of the issue here. Goku may have posted what he did out of frustration with too many people asking for a feature he may have not thought was important. Unfortunately, that insult was the straw which broke the camel's back as far as the administration was concerned.

Did Goku ever make the source code available, or might he if someone asked nicely? If he has no interest in supporting OR in the future then maybe someone else can pick up where he left off, and he could continue with his own version of the route editor.

#16 User is offline   BillC 

• Conductor
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

View Postjtr1962, on 18 September 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

I understand both sides of the issue here. Goku may have posted what he did out of frustration with too many people asking for a feature he may have not thought was important. Unfortunately, that insult was the straw which broke the camel's back as far as the administration was concerned.

Did Goku ever make the source code available, or might he if someone asked nicely? If he has no interest in supporting OR in the future then maybe someone else can pick up where he left off, and he could continue with his own version of the route editor.

The source code is on GitHub. Unfortunately, his development is done with Qt C++. OR developers work with Visual Studio C#, porting would require working with both. In addition his tool set was NetBeans.

#17 User is offline   Stephen Hjellum 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:50 PM

So that means someone has to start from scratch. Maybe we can strongly urge the ORTS team to develop an editor. I feel like now there is no more reason to continue any of my California Routes if there is no support. I understand why Goku was banned, as I have seen his sarcastic European remarks that are not exactly fitting for this forum, and I also understand Goku's frustrations with those of us in this community. At this time, I will continue working on my fictional route, and after that, I can't make any promises regarding release. It's a shame Goku was banned. I really thought that we would have a great replacement for the MSTS editors. This is truly a dark day, because the ORTS team won't create the editors; at least, not at this time as bug fixes seem to be all they do these days. And before any of the ORTS team jump on here, I will make this point that I understand that they are limited in what they can do, so I'm not denouncing their work. I'm lamenting the efforts that have now evaporated. I personally feel very strongly about route editing and route building, especially the potential for procedural track laying which was far in the future. This may drive me to the other simulators. I will miss ORTS as it was revolutionary 5 years ago, but now, there's not really much being done as far as I can see that have any relevance to me and other route builders.
Ok, I'm stepping down from the soapbox.

#18 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:31 AM

Sorry, but you wouldn't tolerate years of bad behavior from a friend because they always give great gifts for birthdays and holidays.

I took a lot of grief when we banned one of the more knowledgeable people on shapefiles and raw data. He just happened to also be a rampant pirate.

We survived. This too shall pass.

Porting over the TSRE into C# would be a bit tedious, but it's doable. It wouldn't be starting from scratch.

#19 User is offline   Stephen Hjellum 

• Conductor

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:17 PM

Well, regardless, at this time, I cannot justify further perusal of this site, as it seems to me to be a big misunderstanding from the Moderators here. I'm going to take a break from this board because while you guys have done an excellent job, and put up with a lot of mishaps and skullduggery, a permanent ban for a slight mistake in addition to other misunderstood posts is a big no-no to me. That's where I draw the line. I seriously doubt anyone else is going to do what Goku did as far as writing the code to an editor, so I bid you all adieu. I would love to come back, but it seems there is too much paranoia here.

#20 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:04 AM

I am dismayed by the turn of events here.
I use TSRE5 every day, and daily give thanks to Goku, for his superb freeware editor.
Coders willing to work for ORTS are rare, and valued. We should acknowledge our debt to all ORTS developers. Thank you for giving so much to our hobby.
I agree with Stephen`s post above
I would add : it is a bizarre notion to kick a guy out, and then steal his code
rick

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users