Timetable concept Alternative way to define running of trains

#571 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 22 April 2023 - 09:43 AM

View Postjoe_star, on 22 April 2023 - 07:53 AM, said:

Hi Rob,

I have been testing the use of the cruise & maxdelay functions of the speed command.

While the cruise function is taken, the maxdelay one doesnt seem to be applied. I have tried the 2 combinations below and neither work

Train A Train B
#speedkph $cruise=70 $maxdelay=2 $cruise=40 $maxdelay=2

Neither does

Train A Train B
#speedkph $cruise=70 /maxdelay=2 $cruise=40 /maxdelay=2

Is this the correct way to use them?

Thanks

I managed to figure out the command, it looks like each train entry must be specified as "cruise=nn $maxdelay=nn"

Now I see a speed limit associated as defined by the cruise speed associated with every speedpost and signal when the train is running on time. When there is a delay however, the speed limit defined on the signals is maintained at the cruise speed, while the speed posts & speed resume signs are indeed honored. In the end the train is mostly still subject to the cruise speed even when running on delay.

Is that a bug or perhaps expected behavior?

#572 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 24 April 2023 - 12:11 AM

View PostTraindude, on 15 April 2023 - 03:09 PM, said:

Another idea I had regarding timetable mode--the provision for "estimated" departure times, perhaps by adding an $est timing instruction tag next to the departure time. If a train arrives at a station early, and loading time finishes before the time indicated, then instead of the train being detained until the time indicated, it can leave immediately, even though it's technically early. Such is the normal practice on many commuter, light rail and subway operations during rush hours, when there are a lot of trains on the line, in order to keep them moving at all times when not stopped to load or unload.

Can you please create a trello-card for this, than I can use that for the update.
The syntax for early departure will be a '*' in the departure time, between hours and minutes, e.g. 10*24. Note that the boarding time in timetables is always the stop-time as set in the platform details, unless this is overruled using the $stoptime parameter.

View PostLaci1959, on 22 April 2023 - 12:48 AM, said:

This is a good idea, especially when following dense trains such as the subway. Anyway, I could imagine the opposite in case of delay. If the delay exceeds the time specified in the command modifier, the $est command takes effect. Once the passengers have boarded, the train can move on.

That is already standard procedure, a delayed train will always depart as soon as possible.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#573 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 April 2023 - 09:23 PM

View Postroeter, on 24 April 2023 - 12:11 AM, said:

Can you please create a trello-card for this, than I can use that for the update.
The syntax for early departure will be a '*' in the departure time, between hours and minutes, e.g. 10*24. Note that the boarding time in timetables is always the stop-time as set in the platform details, unless this is overruled using the $stoptime parameter.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Here you go.

#574 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 30 April 2023 - 02:44 AM

Hi Rob. I am delighted you have resumed development of timetable mode.
I do not want to give a wish list, because i know you have your own priorities. However, i can`t find my card on Trello anymore for passing times. Please may I draw your attention to 2 items
1) Passing times. I think you have previously suggested that these might be denoted - 11/26. ( Passing times refer to recording non stop trains in the station field of timetables)
2) $detach at speed . Mainly for detaching banker locos at the summit. In Britain and Germany the train often did not stop , but the (uncoupled) banker separated on the move from the train.
If you are able to consider them , Would you like Trello items for these?
Thanks, Rick

#575 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 April 2023 - 04:00 AM

11p26, Rick.

#576 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 30 April 2023 - 04:33 AM

11p26 it is ! thanks!
But i don`t think that Trello cards should just disappear. Or am I blind? Trello is the only approved means that users can offer input to OR. Apart from badgering Devs- which i hope i am not doing!
I`m inspired by this thread to resume work on the Somerset and Dorset timetable
Rick

#577 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 01 May 2023 - 10:53 AM

View Postrickloader, on 30 April 2023 - 02:44 AM, said:

However, i can`t find my card on Trello anymore for passing times.

Could it be this one, Rick?
https://trello.com/c...g-passing-times

#578 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 01 May 2023 - 11:33 AM

Yes. thank you Chris. #542 I am sorry i could not find it - even searching various terms didn`t seem to work, Anyway, i`m pleased it isn`t lost, even though it has yet to make a timeline.
Rick

#579 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:10 AM

View Postrickloader, on 30 April 2023 - 02:44 AM, said:

Hi Rob. I am delighted you have resumed development of timetable mode.
I do not want to give a wish list, because i know you have your own priorities. However, i can`t find my card on Trello anymore for passing times. Please may I draw your attention to 2 items
1) Passing times. I think you have previously suggested that these might be denoted - 11/26. ( Passing times refer to recording non stop trains in the station field of timetables)

As pointed out already, his is available as 11P26. However, at present it can only be used as reference in the timetable, there is no processing provided as yet except that this syntax is accepted. Actual processing, e.g. to calculate present delay, will have to wait for some other development which is on the cards.

2) $detach at speed . Mainly for detaching banker locos at the summit. In Britain and Germany the train often did not stop , but the (uncoupled) banker separated on the move from the train.
If you are able to consider them , Would you like Trello items for these?
Thanks, Rick

Problem here is not so much detaching that coach, I can think of some ways to do that, but the real issue here is the existing physics. A 'loose' coach has no power, and the present phyics is such that something that has no power, will not move. That will need to be revised, but that is a far more larger and complex work that just detaching something. I am sorry but such adoptation of the physics is not yet on my list.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#580 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 03 May 2023 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for your reply Rob.
In my second point I`m not refering to detaching a loose coach ( a slip carriage).
I mean a banker, a helping locomotive at the rear. In British practice this was often not coupled, but relied on pushing to maintain contact with the train. At the summit the banker would slow to a halt, breaking contact while the train continued. In effect there are now 2 separate powered trains.
So I am asking if this might be done in game by allowing bankers a $detach /forms at speeds greater than 0.
Perhaps this is a lot more complicated than I realise in which case, I`m sorry, and I`m happy to abide by your list.

I`m hoping not to derail this thread, but there is a severe gradient near Aachen. A kriegslok 2-10-0 buffered up behind but not coupled . From the last carriage the all out effort made a stupendous experience. A treasured memory!
Rick

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users