Timetable concept Alternative way to define running of trains

#561 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 20 February 2023 - 02:07 PM

View Postroeter, on 19 February 2023 - 12:01 PM, said:

Hello Joe,

checked this and there is indeed a problem which occurs only if the access path is straight across the turntable from the storage path. And, of course, it so happens that such a situation does not occur on any of my 20 or so pools on my route. Will look into this but it's a bit of a puzzle.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Hello Rob,

Thank you for the input. I have now therefore reworked my turntable such that the former straight path thru is now nudged to the next closest outlet on the turntable. Its not prototypical but it will do for now.

#562 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 April 2023 - 03:09 PM

Another idea I had regarding timetable mode--the provision for "estimated" departure times, perhaps by adding an $est timing instruction tag next to the departure time. If a train arrives at a station early, and loading time finishes before the time indicated, then instead of the train being detained until the time indicated, it can leave immediately, even though it's technically early. Such is the normal practice on many commuter, light rail and subway operations during rush hours, when there are a lot of trains on the line, in order to keep them moving at all times when not stopped to load or unload.

#563 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 April 2023 - 10:19 PM

Hello.
Do I understand You right:
When train receive $est command in given stop location, it will stay there only for present loading time, then - will leave before defined departure time, making platform free for the next train, for it too can arrive earlier, instead of waiting besides entrance signal for the first train to depart in time?
I think, it's very special case, but assume, that can exist in real life. Can You confirm that? (You have already done it partially)
OTOH, as a dispatcher, I'd issue such order only when needed, avoiding further havoc on this line. It's near-emergency case, allowing to ease some kind of serious problems, but shouldn't be the usual practice, IMO.
As a passenger, who needs to go with the train, which is booked to departure at 15:36 I'd be offended very much, appearing on platform at 15:34 for boarding and seeing my train's taillights, because it occasionally have arrived 5 minutes earlier today, so got an order to go before it's known departure time.

#564 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 18 April 2023 - 02:03 AM

Hello,

How to solve this situation? How to solve this situation? I want the train to stop at the second platform in the direction of travel and accept the time in the timetable. However, the train always stops at the first platform in the direction of travel. The station name is the same. There is only a different name for the name of the platform. Ostrava-Svinov,kol.8 and Ostrava-Svinov,kol.8a or Ostrava-Svinov,kol.4 and Ostrava-Svinov,kol.4a.
Attached Image: Ostrava-Svinov,kolej8.jpg
Attached Image: Ostrava-Svinov,kolej8a.jpg

The situation is the same at the Opava East station. Opava vychod kol.3 and Opava vychod kol.3., Opava vychod kol.7 and Opava vychod kol.7b.
Attached Image: Opava-vychod.jpg

The route downloads here: https://trainset.sim...hp?id=trate_310

There are other routes/projects in which the same situation exists.

#565 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 April 2023 - 03:20 AM

There's only one proper way to do it, and that is to use a different station name for the 2nd part of the platform.
If the train is just to stop at the 2nd platform, you could try $keepclear /rear=xxx /force, with xxx such that the train clears (almost) all of the first part of the platform. The /force is required as there is a signal between the two platform parts. But I am not sure if this will also work if callon is required.
Using a second station name is by far the best way to handle this. The only problem it could cause is that you cannot define $connect requirements between trains stopping in the different parts of the station.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#566 User is offline   gto451 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 21 April 2023 - 06:13 PM

Using my local transit agency the MBTA. In their timetable any stop that has an "L" before the time means "the train may leave ahead of schedule at these stops."

#567 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 21 April 2023 - 07:24 PM

View PostWeter, on 15 April 2023 - 10:19 PM, said:

Hello.
Do I understand You right:
When train receive $est command in given stop location, it will stay there only for present loading time, then - will leave before defined departure time, making platform free for the next train, for it too can arrive earlier, instead of waiting besides entrance signal for the first train to depart in time?
I think, it's very special case, but assume, that can exist in real life. Can You confirm that? (You have already done it partially)
OTOH, as a dispatcher, I'd issue such order only when needed, avoiding further havoc on this line. It's near-emergency case, allowing to ease some kind of serious problems, but shouldn't be the usual practice, IMO.
As a passenger, who needs to go with the train, which is booked to departure at 15:36 I'd be offended very much, appearing on platform at 15:34 for boarding and seeing my train's taillights, because it occasionally have arrived 5 minutes earlier today, so got an order to go before it's known departure time.

My initial thought was that my local transit agency (Sound Transit) did this for its light rail operations, but after consulting with someone in my local transit community, apparently, I was wrong.

View Postgto451, on 21 April 2023 - 06:13 PM, said:

Using my local transit agency the MBTA. In their timetable any stop that has an "L" before the time means "the train may leave ahead of schedule at these stops."

Now here's a real-world example. Thanks!

#568 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:11 PM

I see. Didn't know, such rules exist.

#569 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 22 April 2023 - 12:48 AM

View PostTraindude, on 15 April 2023 - 03:09 PM, said:

Another idea I had regarding timetable mode--the provision for "estimated" departure times, perhaps by adding an $est timing instruction tag next to the departure time. If a train arrives at a station early, and loading time finishes before the time indicated, then instead of the train being detained until the time indicated, it can leave immediately, even though it's technically early. Such is the normal practice on many commuter, light rail and subway operations during rush hours, when there are a lot of trains on the line, in order to keep them moving at all times when not stopped to load or unload.

This is a good idea, especially when following dense trains such as the subway. Anyway, I could imagine the opposite in case of delay. If the delay exceeds the time specified in the command modifier, the $est command takes effect. Once the passengers have boarded, the train can move on.

#570 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 22 April 2023 - 07:53 AM

Hi Rob,

I have been testing the use of the cruise & maxdelay functions of the speed command.

While the cruise function is taken, the maxdelay one doesnt seem to be applied. I have tried the 2 combinations below and neither work

Train A Train B
#speedkph $cruise=70 $maxdelay=2 $cruise=40 $maxdelay=2

Neither does

Train A Train B
#speedkph $cruise=70 /maxdelay=2 $cruise=40 /maxdelay=2

Is this the correct way to use them?

Thanks

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic