• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New ALCO FA-1 set For Open Rails only Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

4096x4096? Geez, Allen, and I thought 2048 was big! I gotta get OR soon just to stop worrying about not being able to run these beauties. Incredible work!

Dustin

That 4096 square file is the working PSP image. Not the finished texture size. Details are easier to add to a large working file. It is then reduced to 2048 square for the DXT1 ace file.

And I don't understand why you should worry about running everything on the site. Find something you like and use it. I don't download everything. What's the point. For a hard drive filler maybe? :whistling:

Allen

#22 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

Hi Allen,

So this is where your - cough - cough - diesel - project is hiding... LOL - very nice work - sir...

I forget where you live - NJ right ? Anyway - FYI - there is an old restored Erie F/E unit sitting by the Erie turn table - now a dollar store parking lot - in Port Jervis NY... It's in fine looking shape witha beautiful paint job - just in case you want a reference for your work...

Attached Image: train06_1.jpg

Attached Image: IMG_6664.jpg

Regards,
Scott

#23 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

Scott and all

Here is an update to the PA-1. Nearly finished now with just the trucks to detail.

Attached Image: Image3.jpg

I also couldn't find any passenger cars with a proper paint job to match so I've decided to build a few to go with them. First will be a coach with others to follow as i find information for window arrangements. They will have some good exterior detail but no interiors.

Attached Image: Image1.jpg

A new passenger car bogie. Just need to add some brake details.

Attached Image: Image2.jpg

Scott

I don't know where ou got the idea that I'm a singular path modeler. I like many facets of modeling. If you would look in the library you would find many diesel models I produced in conjunction with Richard Percy, Tim Muir and others. While growing up here in the Salamanca, NY area I witnessed many real world steam and first generation diesel locomotives in action during the late 40's through the end of ERIE and B&O and on into Conrail and Chessy. All that's left now are GW and the regional run by NYS.

Steam locomotive's are just one of those facets. I'm not stuck in any one era or type. I like them all although no so much the new generation generic boxes. I like the older "all" if you know what I mean. I just counted up the model list this morning and found 185 model folders in TSM. Those are projects that have been started with materials collected. And in many of those folders are partly finished models in varying degrees of completion. Many of them are diesel's. The ratio of steam to diesel is roughly 30% to 70%. I'll let you figure out which is king. A steam locomotive model takes from 6 months to a year or more to finish. Derek Miller is excluded from this discussion. :oldstry: That's a lot of time to spend on one project. And you have to be dedicated and focused on that one thing. A diesel model can be cranked out in a couple of month's and is definite eye candy and satisfying. They are a good break from the ho-hum of black and gray with red window trim and a brass bell. :pardon:

No. Not New Jersey! Western New York State is home for me. :dance3:

Allen

#24 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Walter

If you have any passenger car info, dimension's, drawings and pictures, zip them up and send them to me. All I have are a few pictures from George Ellwoods pages and a few from the Passenger Car Photo Index. Erie, Pullman, ACF and Budd information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Allen

#25 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Allen,

In my browsing of the forum I've totally missed this thread - and man oh man, this isn't one that should be missed! Absolutely beautiful work on the FA / PA models http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif I too enjoy the first generation diesels for their distinctive style and variety, and they have much more character than the generic boxes you mentioned that we have today. And yeah, I even think old Baldwin and Alco engines are fun to listen to as well. The FA's and PA's are right up at the top of my list diesel wise ;)

I haven't really been drawn to do any diesels yet, but there is one I might tackle someday if no one else ever gets one out there first... A stainless steel E5 for the CB&Q - Like the Alco's, those are just dripping with style and grace :D

#26 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Derek

Thanks for the compliments.

Here are a few shots of the train car's to go with the PA's.

First is the REA baggage car.

Attached Image: Profile1.jpg

Next is a light weight coach.

Attached Image: Profile2.jpg

Tomorrow I will start on the RPO.

Here are some shots from Open Rails of a test train.

Attached Image: Open Rails 1.jpg
Attached Image: Open Rails 2.jpg
Attached Image: Open Rails 3.jpg

Enjoy

Allen

#27 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostWalter Conklin, on 14 May 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

Hi Allen,

Thank you for modeling the Erie passenger cars.

I agree, very nice!

Rick

#28 User is offline   lineman 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Train Simulator

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

This will make one beautiful set! Thank you Sir!

#29 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Would it be strange for me to say I would like to be running Allen's set while I'm working on my own?? :)

#30 User is offline   Erie-Lack heritage 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

View Postrfranzosa, on 03 May 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Walter, the DL&W didn't have any PAs!!

Allen, that is a nice model. You are going to put me out of business :)

Rick

Rick,

With Allen's coach and RPO, all that would be left to model for the Limited would be a couple of the modernized Erie built coaches, dormitory car, diner/lounge, and pullmans (and E-8s of course).

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users