• You cannot reply to this topic

The beginning of something special The FJ&G Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:29 PM

Paul is a fairly new member to Elvas Tower. Let's hope we'll be hearing more from him on this good looking project.

#12 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

What sort of steam ran on the line? Something beginning with 'Baldwin', perhaps?

WOW, certainly a route out of the top echelon.

Cheers Bazza

#13 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:51 AM

Hi All,

As usual I popped in this morning to see if there were any new screen shots of Tim Muir's fine PET route only to find Paul's FJ&G post so I thought I'd stop and say hello.

It's been a lot of drawing in the last fourteen months, I'm down to about one more month of drawing then adding interactive objects and some final details. After that the route can be posted and I can take the time to draw a couple of "Ambroid" combines to cover the Broadalbin mixed and the line's gas-electric that was used for express freight service from Gloversville to Fonda.

I've been thinking of my next project after the FJ&G is posted and I'm taking the Springfield Terminal (electric) seriously after seeing Wayne's London and Port Stanley and the Tim's PET. The line was only 4 1/2 miles long but served about 20 customers, set in a deep "V" valley with some great scenery. The STRC interchanged with the Boston and Maine at Charlsetown NH and the Central Vermont had trackage rights down the Conn River Route mainline running the largest steam in New England, the 700 series 2-10-4s. Anyway, that's the plan.

Thanks for all the nice comments on the FJ&G route, and thanks for the screen shots Paul, it's always interesting to see the line through someone else's eyes.

Back to planting trees!

Paul :-)

#14 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Post icon  Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:55 AM

Springfield Terminal

Homer never uses the train? :whistling:

Cheers Bazza

#15 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:09 AM

No, this would be the pre-Homer era!

This post has been edited by charland: 06 May 2008 - 04:10 AM

#16 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:34 AM

View Postcharland, on May 6 2008, 07:51 AM, said:

Hi All,

As usual I popped in this morning to see if there were any new screen shots of Tim Muir's fine PET route only to find Paul's FJ&G post so I thought I'd stop and say hello.

It's been a lot of drawing in the last fourteen months, I'm down to about one more month of drawing then adding interactive objects and some final details. After that the route can be posted and I can take the time to draw a couple of "Ambroid" combines to cover the Broadalbin mixed and the line's gas-electric that was used for express freight service from Gloversville to Fonda.

I've been thinking of my next project after the FJ&G is posted and I'm taking the Springfield Terminal (electric) seriously after seeing Wayne's London and Port Stanley and the Tim's PET. The line was only 4 1/2 miles long but served about 20 customers, set in a deep "V" valley with some great scenery. The STRC interchanged with the Boston and Maine at Charlsetown NH and the Central Vermont had trackage rights down the Conn River Route mainline running the largest steam in New England, the 700 series 2-10-4s. Anyway, that's the plan.

Thanks for all the nice comments on the FJ&G route, and thanks for the screen shots Paul, it's always interesting to see the line through someone else's eyes.

Back to planting trees!

Good to see you posting. I hope we hear more from you.

I think you are poking around close to my home town area, in Massachusetts. As a kid, it was always a treat to make a trip into Springfield. If my dad was going in to the farmer's co-op there to deliver the eggs, I would stand on the loading dock and watch the activity in the B&M classification yard a couple hundred yards away. If we went with my mom for any shopping, she always would drive by the same yard on the way into the city. Route 20 ran parallel to the B&M mainline between Palmer and Springfield and I had my eyes glued to the window all the time hoping to see a train.

Love to see the Springfield Terminal come to life.. I don't remember ever seeing it, I may have and not known it at the time.

Love these screens of the FJ&E and will love to see it first hand.

Bill

#17 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:08 AM

Hi Bill,

This is Springfield, Vermont. Was an electric line until the wires came down in 1957 and they bought a GE 44 tonner to replace the electrics. There's a small website with some information and photos:

http://www.vuhs.org/...strc/strc1.html

#18 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:55 AM

View Postcharland, on May 6 2008, 09:08 AM, said:

Hi Bill,

This is Springfield, Vermont. Was an electric line until the wires came down in 1957 and they bought a GE 44 tonner to replace the electrics. There's a small website with some information and photos:

http://www.vuhs.org/...strc/strc1.html

Ok, that puts things in different perspective. I don't recall Springfield Vermont in particular, but we did a lot of vacation traveling through both New Hampshire and Vermont. Beautiful countryside. If that New England charm and beauty can be brought to MSTS, it would be fantastic.

Bill

#19 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:58 AM

The FJ&G ran a lot of 4-4-0s, including one of the last 4-4-0s in regular service east of the Mississippi until 1950. They also ran an ex-NYC 0-8-0 as road power until 1948. Heavy 0-6-0 was kept as a back up engine until 1955.

There are some nice shots on Gino Dicarlo's FJ&G website at:

http://www.fjgrr.org/

#20 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:19 AM

Lots of interesting reads on that web site. Thanks for posting.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users