Superelevation don't Work on some tracks Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 September 2023 - 04:56 PM

View Postvince, on 02 June 2023 - 10:26 AM, said:

Some versions (which, I don't know) of Scale Rail do not 'superelevate'.
vince

IIRC, Waaaay back at the start of this feature, Walt (RIP) was limiting the work to dynamic track only and (again, IIRC) he was using the profile from ScaleRail to craft the resulting shape. At some later time somebody reworked the feature to broaden its utility. Dynamic Track uses radians and everything about it is easily is computed in both MSTS and OR, whereas all other track uses degrees in individual shapes as defined in (the very long) Tsection file.. Perhaps this difference required a lot more work and given the labor is volunteered it's quite plausible that the person doing this work got to a point in time when enough was enough and he stopped, leaving some shapes out of the final code.

#22 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 06 September 2023 - 06:27 PM

Hello, Baldo.
I guess, "375r5" and "375r10" are 5 and 10 DEGREE turnouts, not meters.
Glad, You have found the solution, which blocked Your route's progress.

#23 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 September 2023 - 06:55 PM

Take a look at the options for super-elevation on the "Experimental" tab.. there's a minimum length value.

A 375r5d segment works out to just under 33m in length, and the the 375r10d is just over 65m. The default setting is 50m, so the 5d segment won't qualify but the 10d would.

Change that 50m value down to 30m, and it might have kicked in on that tight of a curve.

#24 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 07 September 2023 - 01:48 AM

I know the Superelevation function in Experimental too, I fiddled with it the first few times when I thought it depended on it! I even tried to enter 20 as the minimum radius, but still, many xxx5d pieces remained flat.
It all started from some driving tests on Open Rails to test the stability of the scenario, and from there I noticed this difference, replacing the clips with those from xxx10d ( Thanks Weter for the correction, but sometimes I don't remember the exact wording ) superelevation works! so it makes me think that the program does not digest the clips from xxx5d.. which is why I hope that one day we could have a standard superelevation to be applied automatically !

this is a screen of one of the zones of my route where the superelevation is working again by replacing the pieces of shapes with those from xxx10d

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: LercaraBassa_Sett2023.jpg

#25 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 07 September 2023 - 05:29 AM

There might be a minimum limit in the code that cannot be overridden. I haven't looked at the source in ages, but I don't think it is determined by the physical shapefile details as much as it is from the math that determines the length of the vector from the TDB.

There is good reason not to do it for all curves as they are used in turnout definitions and you wouldn't want super elevation occurring in a crossover or junction. The first and last pieces of a compound vector are also not replaced.

#26 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2023 - 08:48 AM

View Posteolesen, on 07 September 2023 - 05:29 AM, said:

There is good reason not to do it for all curves as they are used in turnout definitions and you wouldn't want super elevation occurring in a crossover or junction. The first and last pieces of a compound vector are also not replaced.

Yet another reason for a better route editor -- there are many things that should be recorded in world files that are not; SuperElevation (Y/N) to designate high speed mainlines is but one.

#27 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 07 September 2023 - 04:07 PM

I Agree with you Guys, hope for the future for a better reworked Editor!

#28 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 07 September 2023 - 10:28 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 07 September 2023 - 08:48 AM, said:

Yet another reason for a better route editor -- there are many things that should be recorded in world files that are not; SuperElevation (Y/N) to designate high speed mainlines is but one.

Hello.

Not just for that.
SuperElevation in reality depends on two factors.
1. From the radius of the arc.
2. From the design speed of the track (not the train).
The elevation of an arc with a radius of 1500 meters is 122 millimeters (UIC) if the design speed of the track is 160 km/h. The elevation of an arc with a radius of 1500 meters at a design speed of 100 km/h is 0, i.e. zero millimeters.
The SuperElevation run (transition) has its own rules.
Of course, the designers of the railway track use this together with the design of the straight-curved transition
So, in a route ( Route ), not only one max speed must be defined in the trk file, but several, precisely defining its range. Or several independent lines can belong to one speed, even in a list.
The Alföld track is 2,400 km long. There are many side lines that are only designed for a speed of 40 km/h, there are second-order main lines designed for a speed of 80 km/h, and there are first-order main lines designed for a speed of 120km/h. SuperElevation of a specific arc radius is different.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#29 User is offline   jugondavidlisto 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 07 September 2023 - 10:59 PM

Does the superelevation support different types of tracks? I mean if there can be A(number)T tracks and at the same time a VM type, I mean that the two are displayed correctly each one and that one is not replaced by the other? As it happens in this image

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 233838945-74d150a6-2e3c-46a2-9155-e01a5ab2002c.jpg

#30 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2023 - 06:27 AM

I was told, super elevation in ORTS is being made by substitution of given track shape with dynamic track, following track vector.
As a result, berms, which are part of track model disappear in curves.

Yes, the pairs "radius/super elevation" are acceptable in *.trk-file, but they have only physics impact, not visual effect, if I understood it right.
If so, visually, super elevation is the same everywhere.
http://www.coalstone...e-design/#super

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users