• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Sphere light in newer releases Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 December 2023 - 10:10 PM

The latest build seems to have solved the flickering issue on my 70 tonners as well. Well done!

Is there a solution in the works to the sphere of light moving opposite the direction of travel with increasing speed? I find that even with my light source placed an absurd distance from the carbody, I still end up with a bright spot around 35mph that gets bigger and bigger from there. It seems to shrink again when the camera is rotated to the side of the locomotive, and it grows whenever I take a screenshot. It's very strange.

#32 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 07 December 2023 - 11:38 PM

Yeah, it sounds like a strange effect, will look into that too! :)

#33 User is online   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 08 December 2023 - 01:03 AM

View Postgpz, on 06 December 2023 - 10:24 AM, said:

Roger, thanks, it worked! :) And fixed. Also halved the intensity.

Hi Peter,

Just tested in release 2023-12-07.
Indeed, the "flickering effect" is gone, thanks. :sign_thanks:

However, the Sphere light still does not follow the dimmer settings in the .eng?

As an example, the DASH9 with the settings BBFAD09F, FFFAD09F, 55FAD09F, 01FAD09F.
Attached Image: DIM BBFAD09F.jpg
Attached Image: DIM FFFAD09F.jpg
Attached Image: DIM 55FAD09F.jpg
Attached Image: DIM 01FAD09F.jpg
In other words, from a maximum of 'FFxxxxxx' to almost off '00xxxxxx', unfortunately no difference?

I suspect you now halve the intensity as a fixed setting by default? and only with 'bright'?
The following pictures show that the "color adjustment" (or what is the good English term?) does work, here you see the 'green/white' glow of a gas discharge lamp. [OK]

The joke, however, is that in the old release 2023-09-29 the DIM is dimmed and BRIGHT produces a large beam of light.
Attached Image: DIM old.jpg
Attached Image: Bright-old.jpg

In new 2023-12-07 the DIM is very bright (not dimmed) and BRIGHT is very soft (dimmed?).
Attached Image: DIM new.jpg
Attached Image: Bright-new.jpg

Once again I think that the Sphere lights do not follow the 'Dimmer settings FF->00', and that you now have a fixed setting, is this correct?
If you can check whether the new sphere lights can follow the settings 'FF->00', then I think it will work as before. :)

Greetings,
Roger

#34 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 08 December 2023 - 07:54 AM

Roger, Hello.
AFAIK, first byte is for transparency, but not for intensity.
IOW, that is expected to be alpha; while next three are naturally Red, Green and Blue.
Since some time, RGB were swapped, so James have fixed that (for dieselsmoke appearance), hence, maybe, something is still wrong for headlights color code...
As a result, I suggest You to adjust manually all the three last bytes (which are R,G&В), reducing numbers and doing so more for blue and less for red.

C44-9 on Your picture has too close and low sphere of light.
I guess, You have done that so to better show us an effect, but real head projector/s beam touches the ground far before locomotive's nose.
Lv have indused warm feelings in me - thancs to You personally for using them on screenshots.

#35 User is online   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 08 December 2023 - 09:42 AM

View PostWeter, on 08 December 2023 - 07:54 AM, said:

-- AFAIK, first byte is for transparency, but not for intensity.
-- C44-9 on Your picture has too close and low sphere of light.
-- Lv have indused warm feelings in me - thancs to You personally for using them on screenshots.

I think this is incorrect.
For years (from the MSTS era...) the first 2 HEX settings have been for dimming/intensity, nothing with transparency. (or do you mean transparency as a form of dimming?)
You can also test this with OR releases from 2015 to the present (end of September 2023).
This is for both the light effects (TYPE=0) and Sphere lights (TYPE=1).

As an example, the DASH9 picture is "BBFAD09F" = 'BB' the intensity and 'FAD09F' the RGB color setting, of course everything in HEX.

It seems that with the "new sphere lighting technology" the RGB settings are followed, but not (yet) the intensity/dimming. :sweatingbullets:

C44-9 is indeed just an example of light settings (of European diesel locomotives) in the .eng. (continued from previous post attachment)
These light settings are of course not correct with an actual C44-9, but they do indicate the (no) differences.

Yes, the LV is still often used! :)

#36 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 08 December 2023 - 09:46 AM

Strange... I use to think, the code is ARGB.
Certainly, those two very first symbols give 256-steps gradation, expressed in hexadecimal counting system.
First time, I hear about intensity.
Though, transparensy would make light glow more "subtile", if it's right expression.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users