• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Sphere light in newer releases Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 06 October 2022 - 02:54 AM

In the later releases I see that the head light (Sphere light) has changed. (?)
Although a lot has been said about Sphere lights, I'm not sure exactly what has been changed or what the new settings are. (If I've misread it, sorry)

Although the light effect looks good at first, I see some drawbacks..........

1)
The effect works nicely if you have "one Headlight", for example with American locomotives.
In many other countries, like here in Europe, locomotives have two or 3 lights (or more..)
Since you only have one position in OR regarding Sphere light, it is usually "set back" to better get the effect of two/three lights on the front/rails.

In old situation this had no effect on the locomotive ["Old-front"], in new situation the light on the locomotive becomes visible ["new-front"]
Attached Image: Old-front.jpg
Old situation

Attached Image: new-front.jpg
New situation

2)
Many locomotives have already been modified regarding lighting effect in the SIM. As an example the "H0 - H1 - H2" effect of "shunting lighting, DIM light and High beam".
Especially "Shunting lights and DIM lights" are for visibility, and give a small light beam/distance.
IOW, this is "muffled light" effect.
Attached Image: H0-Cab.jpg
H-0 Old situation

Attached Image: H1-Cab.jpg
H-1 Old situation

Attached Image: H2-Cab.jpg
H-2 Old situation

In the new situation "H0 - H1 - H2 _new" you see that everything is 'maximally' lit.
I also notice that with "muted light", so setting not as FFxxxxxx but example 08xxxxxx, that it blinks a lot. As if OR is trying to dim the light based on "time period switching?" (If you take a screenshot, you often have to repeat this, usually the light beam is not visible in the photo......) What influence concerns performance?
Attached Image: H0-Cab_new.jpg
H-0 New situation

Attached Image: H1-Cab_new.jpg
H-1 New situation

Attached Image: H2-Cab_new.jpg
H-2 New situation

Summary:
- I assume this is an experiment, and I sincerely hope not the default future in OR.....!
- If the new way of Sphere light is introduced, I assume the old way will remain, and the new way "with ORTS...." setting can be toggled on/off....?
- Otherwise this means that you have to adjust almost all existing locomotives regarding settings of Sphere lights in the .ENG .......
- And the above old effects will no longer work. Especially with older locomotives, "the light beam" is minimal" and for example European locomotives don't have the "single beam effect" you would get if you had to push the Sphere's position forward again.

#2 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 06 October 2022 - 07:05 AM

Hello.
That was an attempt to improve sphere's of light appearance.
It's author, gpz, have posted his report here on February 2022.
Here is an answer to You, about was it an experiment, or not.
Alas, we have, since MSTS times only one sphere of light at time (one for dim state, one for bright) lets say, Your example contains one for off.

The only problem I see on Your screenshots (IMHO), is that dim and off states cause area to lit too bright.
In other point of view, an effect looks more realistic.

As for this moment, we hear nothing about development continuation, but certainly, it might be possible to fine-tune, I hope.

So, I see two BUGS here: causing back-faced textures lit, and flickering of light, instead of dimming.
Also, there is the reason to tweak effect, for making dimming possible (what might be related to bug#2)

#3 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 06 October 2022 - 07:20 AM

I too noticed it and it threw all my light setups into disarray. Some locos with weak flickering oil lamps look like flood lights so I went back to using my trusty T1.3 version. Yes, the brightness value no longer have an effect - unacceptible.

Alot of people use the sphere of light at track level instead of at the point of origin of the light source.
When I began using OR I noticed this affected how the light casts shadows on terrain so I've since moved all the sphere of lights to where the headlamp is and the light was cast on the terrain in a more realistic manner. This also got ruined by the new light setup, very strange behaviors of how the light is cast onto objects now.

Most noticable and immersion-breaking drawback next to what you described with the loco model illuminating is the light point moves back as the speed increases, as if it tries to keep up with the train????

#4 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 06 October 2022 - 08:14 AM

When you speak of releases, what are you meaning? Unstable or Testing release?

#5 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 06 October 2022 - 01:14 PM

Alas, we have, since MSTS times only one sphere of light at time (one for dim state, one for bright) lets say, Your example contains one for off.

Maybe I misunderstand/translate? But you can give a Sphere light to all 3 positions (H0,H1,H2), if desired.
True, usually H0=off, but here with many locomotives you can give a "shunting light", which in many countries here means "one light (right side) at the front and back".
My photo is very dark, but in the SIM it gives a little bit of light effect.

So, I see two BUGS here: causing back-faced textures lit, and flickering of light, instead of dimming.

This is indeed what immediately struck me. + Jonathan problem": "the light point moves back as the speed increases".

Alot of people use the sphere of light at track level instead of at the point of origin of the light source.

Usually the "Sphere position" is indeed set back slightly, and at a 'lower height'. As an example I often use 1.2 - 1.5 meters height, because then the light beam effect better illuminates the rails and the sides, as if this is the joint "3 light beam" together.
IOW, it prevents the "flashlight effect" if I may call it that.

When you speak of releases, what are you meaning? Unstable or Testing release?

I mean the Unstable releases, first noticed in 2022-09-26 (but I hadn't updated for a while...) and now tested in 2022-10-04

#6 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 06 October 2022 - 03:55 PM

Yes. But only ONE sphere for each of three positions.
Many years ago, I've tried to define at least two for H2, but one is always failing to appear.

Real projectors have slight inclination downside, but I doubt, sphere of light effect can accept elevation () parameter, can't it?

#7 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 07 October 2022 - 10:25 AM

Small update from my side:

When comparing various locomotives, All "dimming effect" disappeared with the new Sphere lights, IOW brightness value no longer have an effect!?

Fortunately, the color effect (white light, yellow light (as older Dutch trains) or 'green-white' light (as gas discharge lamps, etc.) still works.

However, I have now noticed something, the "flickering effect" is not always consistent with various dimming settings? In fact most Sphere lights are "stable", some are "flickering".
As an example the .ENG of the locomotive above pictures. Here is the "flickering effect" is very present?

Not much time these days, try to test and compare even more next week.

@Jonathan, are you still having the problem with "the light point moves back as the speed increases"?
Only tested very briefly, but I did not immediately see this phenomenon.

#8 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 08 October 2022 - 10:11 AM

Here https://james-ross.c...jects/or/builds many Unstable releases may be downloaded. It would be useful for developers if someone getting the problem could identify which is the latest Unstable release that works correctly (or the first one suffering the problem)-

#9 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 08 October 2022 - 11:34 AM

I know my problems with the new light system started with whatever version that introduced them. I've updated a few times after it so I don't know when it was.

#10 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 09 October 2022 - 12:02 AM

If this is related to this PR https://github.com/o...nrails/pull/570 , it could be checked whether the problem is present on this https://james-ross.c...%2008-58-40.zip Unstable release and not on this https://james-ross.c...%2008-28-37.zip one.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users