Elvas Tower: Wishes for improvement of braking systems - Elvas Tower

• 65 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wishes for improvement of braking systems Adding and correcting of features Rate Topic: -----

#621 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 March 2024 - 04:04 AM

Hello.
Very suitable for leak rates
Very useful for definition of real gears (actual cylinder+auxiliary volumes)
Appreciate the work done.
Is it in testing now?

#622 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 March 2024 - 11:00 AM

You can also manually define the auxiliary res volume now, with ORTSAuxiliaryResCapacity. Doesn't behave any different than if it was defined based on the emergency res volume but should make things a bit easier, especially on cars that don't have emergency reservoirs in the first place! Always felt a bit silly needing to define the emergency reservoir volume for an emergency reservoir that simply isn't real.
Very welcome!

#623 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 March 2024 - 12:18 PM

View Postpschlik, on 09 March 2024 - 02:40 PM, said:

ORTSBrakeCylinderTravel for the stroke of the brake cylinder (assumed to be 8 inches by default)

Thanks for adding this extra real life parameters. Would it be possible to rename this to ORTSBrakeCylinderPistonTravel for clarity?

#624 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 10 March 2024 - 03:22 PM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 10 March 2024 - 12:18 PM, said:

Thanks for adding this extra real life parameters. Would it be possible to rename this to ORTSBrakeCylinderPistonTravel for clarity?

I'm willing to. Sorry for the two people who may have tried the token with the original name, you'll have to change that.

#625 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 March 2024 - 11:59 PM

View Postpschlik, on 15 February 2024 - 06:24 PM, said:

Peter did the implementation for the brake shoe friction curves and I'd rather not mess with it when he's still a contributing member.

I have added a small patch to warn and restrict the max brakeforce per brake shoe to 20kN.

#626 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 11 March 2024 - 07:05 AM

Hello.
How about
ORTSBrakeCylinderPistonTravel -> ORTSBrakeCylinderStroke for the sake of briefness

#627 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor

Posted 11 March 2024 - 11:50 AM

While the travel does represent the stroke, the railroad documentation I use consistently refers to this as 'piston travel' and OR should use terminology familiar to railroad operations whenever reasonable.

#628 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 11 March 2024 - 06:31 PM

Sorry. You are RIGHT then.
I cancel my ask.

#629 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 March 2024 - 12:33 PM

It seems that some older Australian locomotives (like some older US steam locos) fitted with Westinghouse brakes had an independent (straight air) brake valve using the double check valve system that provided for a maximum brake cylinder pressure of 45 psi when using the independent brake.

When using the train brake the maximum brake cylinder pressure was 50 psi.

Can this be set up in OR at present? If so how?

#630 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor

Posted 31 March 2024 - 05:33 PM

View Postdarwins, on 31 March 2024 - 12:33 PM, said:

It seems that some older Australian locomotives (like some older US steam locos) fitted with Westinghouse brakes had an independent (straight air) brake valve using the double check valve system that provided for a maximum brake cylinder pressure of 45 psi when using the independent brake.

When using the train brake the maximum brake cylinder pressure was 50 psi.

Can this be set up in OR at present? If so how?

Yes, this is totally possible in OR. In fact, it is worth mentioning that even locomotives built now in 2024 will still use 45 psi as the "control" pressure for the locomotive brakes, but this pressure is multiplied by the locomotive computer to allow for brake cylinder pressure up to 72 psi. This means you could attach an ET44AH to an F7 and each would produce the correct engine brake pressure on its own (72 psi for the ET44, 45 psi for the F7). Of course that's a bit of a silly situation, but the ET44 needs to be backwards compatible with an SD40, which needed to be backwards compatible with a GP30, which needed to be backwards compatible with an FT...and so on.

Anyway, the setup required to get 45 psi locomotive brakes is just this: (I think this can be put in an include file and will overwrite whatever nonsense was in the MSTS file. Microsoft and people using MSTS were very bad at setting up loco brakes realistically.)
	EngineBrakesControllerMaxSystemPressure ( 45psi ) 
	EngineBrakesControllerFullServicePressureDrop ( 0psi )
	ORTSEngineBrakeRelayValveRatio ( 1.0 )

(Why full service pressure drop of 0? Well, the maximum loco brake pressure is defined as the [Max Pressure - Full Service Pressure Drop]. So if I want a maximum pressure of 45, I set the max pressure to 45 and the drop in pressure to 0.)
(And why no other tokens? As far as I can see, none of the tokens other than Max Pressure and Full Service Pressure Drop affect engine brakes in Open Rails, all the other stuff is nonsense.)

For the modern locomotives, this is identical except the ORTSEngineBrakeRelayValveRatio is 1.6 instead of 1.0.

A 50 psi limit for the train brake could be implemented in a few ways in conjunction with the 45 psi loco brakes, depending on the nature of the 50 psi limit.
ORTSMaxTripleValveCylinderPressure ( 50psi ) can be used to set the maximum pressure the triple valve will ever output, other brake systems can apply the brakes more than this
ORTSMaxServiceCylinderPressure ( 50psi ) is best if this limit only applies to service applications, but can go higher in emergency
BrakeCylinderPressureForMaxBrakeBrakeForce ( 50psi ) would be the MSTS way to do it, but this only makes sense if there's some safety valve that prevents the brake cylinder pressure from going above 50 psi no matter what, which I doubt is the case here

• 65 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users