• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pacific Electric in Watts Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   jdgremsjr 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR, TS2016

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:45 PM

Yes I have to agree, I'm not much of an electric rail fan. Living in the Portland area for all those years and the officials trying to shove the MAX line down our throats. But this route is almost as fun as Seaview. Remember I said almost.

I did notice a few things though, some intersections the cars wouldn't stop and I went straight through a few cars and a couple of trucks. In other areas the traffic would leap underground just to pop up in the middle of the intersection. I realize this was a quick beta, and I love the route but I believe honesty is the best policy

#42 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:02 PM

Jdgremsjr you must be using OR. There is a reason for the submerging and jumping vehicles. MSTS and OR don't allow for setbacks of the level crossings. There is a set distance and in the downtown LA blocks this distance for stopped traffic would but the stopped cars and trucks way out into the intersection rather than having them stop at the "limit lines" of the marked streets in compliance with California Law. An intersection like Central Ave., shown here, is a good example - see where the Chevy is stopped at the limit line, far back from the rails:
Attached Image: Car Subs 01.jpg

You can see the lines where the cars should stop. In order to get them to do so Malte installed sections of track below the scenery back closer to the limit lines and applied the level crossings to them. Looks like this:
Attached Image: Car Subs 02.jpg

This allows the cars to stop back further than a level crossing on the actual track. The problem is that, while this works fine with MSTS, OR has a trick feature that makes cars "bump" over the tracks when crossing over a level crossing. Because the level crossing is some 3-4 meters below the surface, OR pulls the vehicle down to the crossed track, "bumps" it over, and sends it back to the surface, only to do it again on the second track.

Not sure what the best way is to "fix" this. You could remove the level crossings from the sunken track, raise the sunken track to just below the terrain surface and reinstall the level crossings - four per track - and it would not be so comically noticeable but it would still have the cars going "bump" over the track but not where the track is.

#43 User is offline   charlie 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:46 AM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 26 June 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

There is a new release of Xtracks coming up soon and I will make sure to include that pesky piece of track in the new release. This will be build V3.21. First new release in many years for Xtracks.

Here's why that the thing has never been included in any release of Xtracks.
https://www.trainsim...5651#post885651
https://www.trainsim...540#post1138540

regards,
charlie

#44 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:42 AM

View Postatsf37l, on 26 June 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

Not sure what the best way is to "fix" this. You could remove the level crossings from the sunken track, raise the sunken track to just below the terrain surface and reinstall the level crossings - four per track - and it would not be so comically noticeable but it would still have the cars going "bump" over the track but not where the track is.

That is the correct way to fix it. You have to delete the LevelCr objects, move the track, and then re-place the LevelCr objects. I would move the stub tracks to just below the roadway, but you could make the stub tracks the same elevation as the regular track and then change the Y position of the track shapes to put them below the terrain after you're finished (doing a TDB rebuild would require them be moved back first, though).

#45 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:43 AM

View Postcharlie, on 27 June 2017 - 04:46 AM, said:

Here's why that the thing has never been included in any release of Xtracks.

The track piece should not be used in the first place. But by not including it in the main XTracks distribution, it just makes it harder for people who have to deal with routes where it has been used. It should be included.

#46 User is offline   charlie 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:14 AM

View PostJovet, on 27 June 2017 - 05:43 AM, said:

The track piece should not be used in the first place. But by not including it in the main XTracks distribution, it just makes it harder for people who have to deal with routes where it has been used. It should be included.

I certainly agree with that.

As a matter if interest, the 2002 version of Dietmar Julich's trackset with the 0.2m shape was finally uploaded to Trainsim in 2009. It's in "rwger_91.zip".

regards,
charlie

#47 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostJovet, on 27 June 2017 - 05:42 AM, said:

That is the correct way to fix it. You have to delete the LevelCr objects, move the track, and then re-place the LevelCr objects. I would move the stub tracks to just below the roadway, but you could make the stub tracks the same elevation as the regular track and then change the Y position of the track shapes to put them below the terrain after you're finished (doing a TDB rebuild would require them be moved back first, though).

Thanks for that confirmation, Jovet. I'd like to see Malte make those fixes as a part of his next release so that all will receive the corrections. Otherwise, any update of the Beta will put them back again. PEry Scope?

#48 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

More shots, this time around the Watts car house in Open Rails.

Side note: Does anyone else have white wires on this route in OR? It's just with this route, other routes have painted wire on my system.

In the foreground a way freight awaits clearance to leave the Santa Ana Line and enter the four track slow lane.

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-06-28 07-56-25.jpg

If I had drawings of it, I'd make the correct Watts car house.

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-06-28 07-59-34.jpg

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-06-28 08-01-45.jpg

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-06-28 08-05-01.jpg

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-06-28 08-06-18.jpg

Heading for 8th St Yards in downtown Los Angeles.

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-06-28 08-09-23.jpg

#49 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:50 AM

You're missing an ace file somewhere Tim. So far I can't find it. Tried "Wire," "Catenary" (found that one but .bk'ing the thing didn't take my wire away), "overhead," "NEC," "Electric" and there's nothing in the route folder or the Global\Shapes or Texture folders, where I suspect the culprit lies.

I don't know what you are running the Watts line in, whether the main Train Simulator folder or a Mini but try dropping the route into another route folder where you know that the lines are black and see if that darkens up the wire. If it does then backup your Watt's Global folder and replace it with the one that works.

#50 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:42 AM

There was a time when there was a hard copy of the wire.ace in the OR Content folder. But I don't see it anymore in either of my OR installs (3408 and 1.2.377 in separate places). I am running it from my MSTS Install from C:\1MSTS. So, let me understand this, drop the PacificElectric folder into another route that the wires are dark? One route folder inside another? Does that even work?

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users