• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Surfliner 2 Retexturing Giving a favorite route a new look Rate Topic: -----

#151 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

Paul, that shot there with the bridge is stunning as all get out! I had to blink a bit to realize it was ORTS not any of the Dovetail sim stuff!

#152 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:01 PM

SP 0-6-0, on 27 October 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

Paul, Absolutely stunning! There is no comparison between the original and your update. This route should be $30 dollars or more when it is complete. It's simply that good.

Thanks, Robert! Of course, I'll be offering a 100% discount to the first billion (or so) downloaders, as required by the huge crowd of freeware contributors who generously donated their content to the community and this project! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

The only thing that would make it even better would be a complete overhaul of the roads and tracks using exclusively Scale Rail/ Scale Roads.

I completely agree! However, the several unique X-track shapes (with no ScaleRail equivalent) would make that a challenge--one that I'm not really up for at the moment. More power to anyone out there willing to give it a stab, however!

I know it is the wrong route and time period. But, I just can't get this song out of my head when I see these screenshots. Song

Close enough...the north end of the route was SP, anyway! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the ol' Espee!

#153 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

Kazareh, on 30 October 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

Paul, that shot there with the bridge is stunning as all get out! I had to blink a bit to realize it was ORTS not any of the Dovetail sim stuff!

Actually, that shot was plain ol' MSTS, not OR! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/naughty.gif

I had just put in Tom Galbardi's "BP Summer 3" environment (bpsummer3.zip at the other site), which makes a good difference, I think. Although I'll ultimately be using ORTS in the future, for now I'm testing with MSTS to ensure compatibility.

#154 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:58 AM

I just finished adding the Sprinter line that parallels the main line in Oceanside, with new stations at the Oceanside Transit Center and Coast Highway. After much thought, I ultimately decided to use dummy/static track for the addition, since it's a relatively small portion of the line, and I also wanted to leave the track database unaltered (both to avoid corruption and to maintain compatibility with existing activities). Thus, this Sprinter line is merely eye candy (the Sprinter DMU pictured below is also static, and not driveable on the line). I did need to make updates to the roads database, however, as a few roads needed to be added & relocated, and a couple of crossings also needed to be nudged out of the way.

Here's the new station at Oceanside Transit Center:
Attached Image: Sprinter_Oceanside1.jpg

Attached Image: Sprinter_Oceanside2.jpg

Attached Image: Sprinter_Oceanside3.jpg

Here you can see the ROW, with the dummy Sprinter track on the right. At the junction, it joins the existing wye with a dummy turnout overlayed on top of the existing track (which doesn't interfere with its operation). Here, I needed to use quite a lot of artistic license, since it appears that Jeff used the track layout which predates the Sprinter line, which is quite a bit different than the way things are now (I'm still using a target date of around 2009 for my updates).
Attached Image: Sprinter_ROW1.jpg

Here's the Sprinter Coast Highway station, which is situated on a functional track. Modelling the curved platform to match the curved track was a bit of a challenge for me!
Attached Image: Sprinter_ROW2.jpg

Attached Image: Sprinter_CoastHwyStn1.jpg

Attached Image: Sprinter_CoastHwyStn2.jpg

The one thing I don't have much experience with is signaling. Obviously, this line doesn't need functional signals, so I'm sure that makes things simpler. To add a static signal, would I just duplicate a "functional" signal's shape, and set it as a static object in the .REF file? At this point, I don't even know the exact types of signals on this part of the line (I haven't found any good photos of them yet), so more research is still needed.

#155 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:46 AM

SUPERB! that is so much better then the version I did several years ago. I used real track so I could run AI Sprinters. I never connected it at the junction, just ran it parallel so the TDB wasn't effected. There are some static signals available at TS library, I don't recall what models but possibly something that can be used.I don't recall what I used, I'll have to look..

#156 User is offline   delamate 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:11 AM

paulytechnic, on 01 November 2016 - 06:58 AM, said:

I just finished adding the Sprinter line that parallels the main line in Oceanside, with new stations at the Oceanside Transit Center and Coast Highway. After much thought, I ultimately decided to use dummy/static track for the addition, since it's a relatively small portion of the line, and I also wanted to leave the track database unaltered (both to avoid corruption and to maintain compatibility with existing activities). Thus, this Sprinter line is merely eye candy (the Sprinter DMU pictured below is also static, and not driveable on the line). I did need to make updates to the roads database, however, as a few roads needed to be added & relocated, and a couple of crossings also needed to be nudged out of the way.

Here's the new station at Oceanside Transit Center:
Sprinter_Oceanside1.jpg

Sprinter_Oceanside2.jpg

Sprinter_Oceanside3.jpg

Here you can see the ROW, with the dummy Sprinter track on the right. At the junction, it joins the existing wye with a dummy turnout overlayed on top of the existing track (which doesn't interfere with its operation). Here, I needed to use quite a lot of artistic license, since it appears that Jeff used the track layout which predates the Sprinter line, which is quite a bit different than the way things are now (I'm still using a target date of around 2009 for my updates).
Sprinter_ROW1.jpg

Here's the Sprinter Coast Highway station, which is situated on a functional track. Modelling the curved platform to match the curved track was a bit of a challenge for me!
Sprinter_ROW2.jpg

Sprinter_CoastHwyStn1.jpg

Sprinter_CoastHwyStn2.jpg

The one thing I don't have much experience with is signaling. Obviously, this line doesn't need functional signals, so I'm sure that makes things simpler. To add a static signal, would I just duplicate a "functional" signal's shape, and set it as a static object in the .REF file? At this point, I don't even know the exact types of signals on this part of the line (I haven't found any good photos of them yet), so more research is still needed.

Beautiful!!

John DeLamater

#157 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:31 PM

Paul, This update is going to be the finest piece of work for any route ever done. Bravo!

I had taken the project of doing those dang SF red trollies for Jeff but never could find any decent drawings or info on the older German built cars. Maybe you could make some fake dummy stand in objects to populate the SF Trolley area. The other surfline route had something to this affect.

Robert

#158 User is offline   keystoneaholic 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:37 AM

SP 0-6-0, on 01 November 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

Paul, This update is going to be the finest piece of work for any route ever done. Bravo!

I had taken the project of doing those dang SF red trollies for Jeff but never could find any decent drawings or info on the older German built cars. Maybe you could make some fake dummy stand in objects to populate the SF Trolley area. The other surfline route had something to this affect.

Robert

Robert,

There is a drawing available on Wikipedia. It has no dimensions, but the U2 article has some dimensions which would make the drawing usable.

https://upload.wikim...Drawing.svg.png

Rob.

#159 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:36 AM

I have the SD trolley, they are driveable, I added my own cab and sound, but I only use them for AI traffic. I don't know who made them originally. I got these from a person who got the original version of the route, I never got the route, I was one of many who got BURNED. I will gladly share these with anyone that wants them, less cabview and sound. I'm not sure if they are exact models but pretty close

Attached Image: SD trolley.JPG

#160 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

Hiball, I believe Marc Nelson from 3DTrains.com made them. Marc would not take to having them freely distributed around without his permission.

Maybe a nicely done letter to Marc along with screenshots of what the Surfliner update is all about could sway Marc into letting his SF cars be used? I doubt it though.

Robert

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users