• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Surfliner 2 Retexturing Giving a favorite route a new look Rate Topic: -----

#131 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

Paul, I think it you got it nailed down real good. Looks even better than the FPM version of the route which I thought had the best overall teretex for the location.

Robert

#132 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

I think that is as close to reality as it gets, great job on the textures :clapping:

#133 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

Looks great to me!

I thought I could spot a texture edge seam in there, but it's just the power lines. :)

#134 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's really encouraging! I'm always a bit weary of adding vegetation (other than grass) to the terrtex for fear that it's depth will look odd on a flat surface from different perspectives, so it's good to know I'm on the right track!

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif

#135 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:42 AM

paulytechnic, on 29 August 2016 - 03:30 AM, said:

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's really encouraging! I'm always a bit weary of adding vegetation (other than grass) to the terrtex for fear that it's depth will look odd on a flat surface from different perspectives, so it's good to know I'm on the right track!

Well, I say if there were a right way to do it, you found it!

#136 User is offline   JackWhiteIII 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:14 PM

I'll echo everyone else in saying that it looks damn near perfect. You've found a way to make a fantastic route even better. Your facelift" as you call it is, I think, going to be the best route upgrade I've seen so far.

#137 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:06 AM

I grew up in San Diego and Santa Barbara and have painted that landscape as an artist many many times including that chaparell and scrub bush type of hillside and that is perfect .you got a texture that is a very very good match. well done. keep it and keep going you are doing GREAT.

I have known that coastline since the early 1950s and the last of the Steam era..and it is wonderful to see it evolvilng.

my hope someday is to backdate it to 1940 but that will have to wait and see how much time is given to us :)

well done.

for the countryside areas remember along the coast Eucalyptus trees are ever present. they are available for MSTS from several packs. They and palm trees charactrize the coast..tho the palm trees are only in the older neighborhoods the tall noes and in LA many of the older blocks were lined with the fat date palms as well. that will give the distance and the trackside hoods the right feel..same for Santa Barbara, that coast along the beach in Santa Barbara has seveal long lines of tall palms and there are some by the lagoon between Montecito and downtown that are very distinctive and can be seen from teh train. as in this view looking to the moutnains with teh main line on the other side of the lagoon..

the second picture shows the way the Eucalputus trees can be seen from a distance in many areas and they were also planted in windbreaks along orchards as well as in the third one... which is from Goleta on the north side of Santa Barbara there used to be a lot of orange groves and lemon groves as you cane into LA from the south but most are gone now..Iriving Ranch still has some

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: sb_SunsetMontecito.jpg
  • Attached Image: p_sb_morningMistBird.jpg
  • Attached Image: sb_SunsetGoleta2.jpg

#138 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:09 AM

Thanks, Chris!

By the way, your paintings are simply exquisite! I took a few moments to look at more of your work on your website, and I'm seriously impressed! To my eye, your use of lighting and shadows is perfect. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool3.gif

#139 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:36 AM

Here are a few shots from around San Mateo Creek. This is another one of those areas that already had a good amount of vegetation, but unfortunately the terrtex had little more than grass where the water should have been. Hopefully, this should provide a bit more visual interest to this particular area.
Special thanks to "That Genset Foamer" for allowing me to use his excellent riparian texture, which was blended-in a bit subtly in these shots here, but I intend to gradually increase its prominence as I work southward to add some variety. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif

Attached Image: SanMateoCrk2.jpg

Attached Image: SanMateoCrk1.jpg

Attached Image: SanMateoCrk3.jpg

#140 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:07 AM

Still looking mighty excellent! Don't be afraid to turn on some dynamic shadows on them bridges.

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users