• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Surfliner 2 Retexturing Giving a favorite route a new look Rate Topic: -----

#161 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:02 AM

If anybody is in the SoCal area and wants a project, I believe at least one of the original SD LRVs (Siemens U2) is at the Orange Empire museum in Perris. They might let you take measurements...

If explained nicely, you might also be able to get info for modeling from the builder. I think the original batch of SD trolleys was actually built in Germany, before the present Sacramento operation got set up. One of the advantages of not using Federal $$ (original SD line was local & state money only) - no Buy America requirements.

If you have a good personally-developed cabview (and interior F5 view?) for the cars, you might want to talk with Marc about a joint project for them and possibly including them with one of his Surfliner equipment sets. *Someday* somebody will probably do a SD Trolley route...

#162 User is offline   keystoneaholic 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

It would appear that there has been a Frankfurt U2 released for TS2015, though it is a commercial release. It could offer some pointers for a cab view, although if there is one at Perris that is probably a better bet.

#163 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

SP 0-6-0, on 02 November 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

Hiball, I believe Marc Nelson from 3DTrains.com made them. Marc would not take to having them freely distributed around without his permission.

Maybe a nicely done letter to Marc along with screenshots of what the Surfliner update is all about could sway Marc into letting his SF cars be used? I doubt it though.

Robert
If I remember correctly I had asked Marc at one time if they were his and I believe he said no. But it was quite a few years ago and my memory isn't the best..I will check with him again.

#164 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:02 AM

I have those trolleys too and also asked him and he said no at that time for i intend to do a detailed route version but this one featured here is doing great so far!!!

glad you mentioned them they are decent models and with a good cab could be great.

I remember the original San Diego Trolleys they ran up to the mid years of my childhood and i always thought they looked cool crusing down the center of El Cajon Blvd and around town. San Diego was much much smaller back then and we kept a lot of things other cities tossed out but the big oil companies put a lot of pressure on the town to dump the trolley line.tho the car barn was still there when i was in high school and college. they were not red :)

#165 User is offline   delamate 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:18 AM

Mike B, on 02 November 2016 - 10:02 AM, said:

If anybody is in the SoCal area and wants a project, I believe at least one of the original SD LRVs (Siemens U2) is at the Orange Empire museum in Perris. They might let you take measurements...

If explained nicely, you might also be able to get info for modeling from the builder. I think the original batch of SD trolleys was actually built in Germany, before the present Sacramento operation got set up. One of the advantages of not using Federal $$ (original SD line was local & state money only) - no Buy America requirements.

If you have a good personally-developed cabview (and interior F5 view?) for the cars, you might want to talk with Marc about a joint project for them and possibly including them with one of his Surfliner equipment sets. *Someday* somebody will probably do a SD Trolley route...

I would be very, very happy to have the San Diego Trolley route for MSTS. Being severely technologically challenged, there is no way that I could build it.(>:

John DeLamater

#166 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

hiball3985, on 03 November 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

I contacted Marc and he said we could use them, he only asked that if included in a route that mention be made in the READ ME or CREDITS that permission was given by 3DT to use them..

I contacted Marc and he said we could use them, he only asked that if included in a route that mention be made in the READ ME or CREDITS that permission was given by 3DT to use them..

This is a copy of what Marc Emailed me:
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. If those are from Andrew's route, you may use the
files, but please mention in the readme that you obtained specific
permission from 3DTrains. Otherwise, the community will think you
"borrowed" without. ;o)

#167 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:16 PM

Great that was very nice of him

i can possibly do a start on a SD trolley route using part of Jeff's route if he will allow. I would want to back date it to 1940 during WWII as I have been planning to do that era for California for a long time but it was behind finishing the PE route that Tim started but that has been cancelled so that a SD Traction Route from the 1940s has moved up the queue. I know the area and its history intimately as my family came there in 1910 and have been there since and were very active in the city in all ways.

Should be a fun project and will give us a chance to give Traction another boost. It is likely i will do it for both MSTS Open Rails and RailWorks Train Sim 2017 as I am moving in to TrainSim 2017 for route work now as well as continuing my support and work for Open Rails and MSTS.

I would plan on doing the San Diego Route to cover the down town, up to the edge of North county but there was not much morth of Misssion Valley back then and inland along El Cajon Blvd a ways but not too far, the city was very small back then and was centered around the Naval Base and Coronado. Would have to add Point Loma and south Bay probably and some of mission Valley but agian i know that area to do it all by heart.

we will see what happens. But for now it is nice to have permission to use the Red cars for the modern version.

#168 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:39 PM

I added a copy of the Email Marc sent to my last post..

The old trolley system in SD would be nice but we are getting off topic, maybe a new post would be better.

#169 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS or Open Rails

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

CrisGer, on 03 November 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

Great that was very nice of him

i can possibly do a start on a SD trolley route using part of Jeff's route if he will allow. I would want to back date it to 1940 during WWII as I have been planning to do that era for California for a long time but it was behind finishing the PE route that Tim started but that has been cancelled so that a SD Traction Route from the 1940s has moved up the queue. I know the area and its history intimately as my family came there in 1910 and have been there since and were very active in the city in all ways.

Should be a fun project and will give us a chance to give Traction another boost. It is likely i will do it for both MSTS Open Rails and RailWorks Train Sim 2017 as I am moving in to TrainSim 2017 for route work now as well as continuing my support and work for Open Rails and MSTS.

I would plan on doing the San Diego Route to cover the down town, up to the edge of North county but there was not much morth of Misssion Valley back then and inland along El Cajon Blvd a ways but not too far, the city was very small back then and was centered around the Naval Base and Coronado. Would have to add Point Loma and south Bay probably and some of mission Valley but agian i know that area to do it all by heart.

we will see what happens. But for now it is nice to have permission to use the Red cars for the modern version.

Be careful about back dating. The rails back then aren't really that extensive for the trolley. What probably was more expanded is the other rail services like the freight lines and passenger trains that are all separate from the trolley. I could imagine the huge lot of yard tracks next to the Santa Fe depot was also still alive then. Those old pictures I asked before of the rails way back when steam was king in my other topic of rail fanning San Diego may be truly handy for such a project. You may want to check out the references Herb mentioned in there.

#170 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:15 AM

I really like the Surfliner 2 route, and this upgrade promises to make it even better. I do have one request, however, one that is common for a lot of routes: Surfliner 2 desperately needs street lighting added to the route. This route is a dandy to run at night, except for the lack of street lights. I'm partial to Vinnie's and Jovet's street light models, but I do hope that some come along (maybe just for OR someday) that have more realistic "glow" renderings. This is one place where TS20** has MSTS and OR way beat, so far.

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users