Elvas Tower: Route Riter errors - Elvas Tower

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Route Riter errors step-by-step, with pretty pictures and everything Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:38 AM

I'm running 64 bit.

I just tried throwing "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow3264Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator" into the search bar of the regedit program, to no avail. I then did a manual search for "Microsoft Games", as directed, but didn't find the entry.

I DID, however, come across this:

Attached File  Registry editor code5.jpg (274.66K)
Number of downloads: 2

I've highlighted what I spotted in red. There wasn't a "Wow3264Node", but a "Wow6432Node" and in it (although not flagged in the regedit search) was an entry that had ROUTE.EXE. I can't click on it, but hovering my mouse over if revealed the following full address (I think):

Attached File  Registry editor code6.jpg (19.15K)
Number of downloads: 2

Is this the missing link or whatever?

The file that regedit DID flag in the folder shown above (the blue highlighted file "9558") had an address as follows:

Attached File  Registry editor code7.jpg (23.22K)
Number of downloads: 1

Minesweeper. It skipped the illusive ROUTE.EXE one and went for Minesweeper. :wallbash:

PS: Ged, I think you mean "November 3" and not "December." ;)

#102 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hi Bernie,
Apologies for the error in the Registry key path - it should, of course, be Wow6432Node - I've corrected it!

I DID mean December 3 because I didn't post anything on November 3!

The item you highlighed, as far as I know, has nothing to do with what we're looking for. Can I suggest that you open up the Wow6432Node folder and look for Microsoft, then open that folder. looking for a 'Microsoft Games' folder. If you find that, open it and you should see a folder called 'Train Simulator'; when opened there should be a folder called '1.0'. Click on this and you should see a similar display to that shown in my post of 3 Dec. If you get this far, please post a screenshot.

Cheers,
Ged

#103 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:18 AM

I searched every instance of a Wow6432Node folder, but the only ones that had a Microsoft subfolder had a variation on one of the two following entries:

Attached File  Registry editor code8.jpg (139.28K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  Registry editor code9.jpg (148.1K)
Number of downloads: 0

The only real differences seemed to be their location (HKEY subfolder locations). As you can see, no Microsoft Games folder. <_<

I had a thought... if we're looking for the registry entry, why don't I just enter the registry ID or whatever into the search function? Does anyone have the text of the MSTS entry? Or am I confusing things again and attempting something that isn't possible due to software coding or who knows what? :unknw:

#104 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

Hi Bernie,
As I'm only going by the screenshots you've posted, can we, please, get back to basics?

1. What Operating System are you using?
2. Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
3. Did you install MSTS from the CDs? Or did you copy it from another installation?
4. Exactly where is MSTS installed - please show the full path from drive letter to 'Train Simulator' (or whatever you called your root folder)?
5. Is train.exe set to run as administrator? (Right-click train.exe, left-click 'Properties', left-click the 'Compatibility' tab - there should be a tick in the 'Run this program as an administrator' box - if not, left-click the box, then 'Apply' and 'OK'.)

You can determine 1. and 2. by left-clicking the Start Button, right-click 'Computer' then left-click 'Properties' (this is for Vista & Win 7; Win 8.1 and 10 are slightly different).

I appreciate you've probably answered these questions before, but it'd be helpful to have all the answers together!

Cheers,
Ged

#105 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:32 AM

1. Win7 Home Premium, on an Intel Core i2 CPU M370 @ 2.40GHz with 4.0 GB RAM.
2. 64 bit
3. Originally installed via CD, then modified and updated via the Steam4me "bible". This current install is a recovery after my original (smaller) literally melted. The sucker burned out. :blink: I suspect the computer shop used a combination of pulling any data they could off the old drive and using a backup drive I supplied them with, which also has MSTS on it.
4.C:\1MSTS\train.exe (I've cut out the toolset and memory upgrade lines after train.exe, but can add them back in if need be).
5. Yep, set to run as admin.

#106 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:15 AM

Hi Bernie,
I don't understand :

3. Originally installed via CD, then modified and updated via the Steam4me "bible". This current install is a recovery after my original (smaller) literally melted.

I don't know what you mean by "modified and updated via the Steam4me "bible"", but I suspect that you have NOT installed MSTS from the CDs on to your new system, but merely copied it from the backup drive. If so, that is why you don't have a valid Registry entry for it.

I suggest you do the following :
1. Temporarily rename your C:\1MSTS folder - call it whatever you like.
2. Using your MSTS CDs install to folder C:\1MSTS
3. When it's completed, delete the folder just created (C:\1MSTS)
4. Rename your original MSTS folder back to C:\1MSTS
5. Make sure train.exe is set to run as administrator, then run it up to its first menu, then quit.
6 Change the MSTS Desktop icon to use train.exe instead of launcher.exe, removing the -rungame bit.

You should now have a properly set up MSTS system!

Cheers,
Ged

#107 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:26 AM

Regarding the modifications, the steam4me site has instructions on optimizing MSTS such as installing in a non-default location, adding additional memory, and adjusting which CPU cores the operating system uses for the sim, etc.

Looks like I'm gonna have to take the loooooong option and sit for a few hours while the old install CDs chug away. <_< Ah, well. My only question is this: wouldn't deleting the newly installed MSTS before renaming the old version delete the registry entry, or am I once again showing my almost complete lack of computer programming knowledge? :pardon:

#108 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hi Bernie,
Trust me, mate, if you manually delete the MSTS folder, NOT uninstall MSTS, the Registry is not changed!

and adjusting which CPU cores the operating system uses for the sim, etc.

I suggest you ignore this suggestion, at least for now!!

Unless you've got a very slow CD reader, I've just test-installed MSTS from the CDs into Win 10 and it took between 8 and 9 minutes.
If your CD2 won't read properly, and you're not using Win 10, there is a work-around but it involves delving into the innards of Windows! Please come back if you need more details.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year :)

Cheers,
Ged

#109 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:08 AM

Bernie,

You don't have to install the complete MSTS. Uncheck all of the routes, no need to install them if you aren't going to use them.
And no, changing the name doesn't change the registry.

Steve

#110 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:16 AM

Hi Steve,

Uncheck all of the routes, no need to install them if you aren't going to use them

It's not something I knew could be done, but I consider that's very bad advice, particularly for a relative novice! Many routes require the default routes to be present when they are installed as they use default textures and shapes.

Cheers,
Ged

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users