• You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#531 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

View Postjovet, on 02 March 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

I wouldn't get too excited about it. No route representation is ever going to be really perfect, especially with MSTS and its skewed world projection. If parts of a route can remind someone who's actually been there of the location, then I think that's good enough. There comes a time when one is counting ties on Google Maps between mileposts or something... it's just not worth it, life is too short.

Plus all the default routes have this issue with geometry. A few years ago I attempted to add the Kuma River line to the Hisatsu route, but quickly found the new DEM was quite far off the existing data, and the existing and new track differed. Plus Kuju had a limited set of sections available.

#532 User is offline   cnw_fan 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:53 AM

One thing that would make routes alot easier to switch instead of like the old system where you had to exit then click on a route would be a drop down menu in "Routes" tab where you could pick your route that you want to go to next.

#533 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:08 AM

View Postdekosoft, on 02 March 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

But what about finishing the track tools?

What is wrong with them?

is it possible to join the track sections

??

and have standard functions, like cut, copy and paste and an undo key?

Copy/Cut/Paste is already in 0.612. Undo is something to do in far future.

#534 User is offline   cnw_fan 

• Hostler

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:28 AM

I believe we are all use to the old editor where the track sections snapped together and didn't have to manually join or line up the next section of road bed or track. This is something I do miss. I hope to see this in the next update.

#535 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:30 AM

But here tracks snap together too.

#536 User is offline   dekosoft 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

View PostGoku, on 03 March 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

But here tracks snap together too.

How do I do this? I haven't seen it in the documentation or this thread.

#537 User is offline   Lutz_s 

• Fireman

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:50 AM

The trackpieces or roadpieces will snap together when you place a new one. You simply have to click on the last shape you want connect to. The click has to be near the blue pole.

@Goku: For example when you try to find the matching piece you have to add to close a gap, you have to move a trackpiece around. This won't snap again to the existing tracks. Or am I doing something wrong?

Concerning the list of recent items. Could you place make it longer, maybe twice as long? And please insert a function that avoids doubled entries in this list. When you copy a shape, then it is inserted in the list every time you copy it.

Cheers Lutz

#538 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostGoku, on 03 March 2016 - 06:08 AM, said:

{A question about track tools} What is wrong with them?

For me the absence of the information display for tracks (left side of screen, after selecting a track) is a major problem. I do track laying by the trial and error method: many go down, some get deleted, more go into place, repeat, repeat. Sometimes I don't need any information about them but most of the time I do. For example, I'm trying to construct a vertical curve using 4 or 5 short curves; Each has it's own pitch. The final location is a bit low. Did I goof setting the pitch on one of those shapes? Which one?

I've got one situation right now I'd like to correct: The diverging path off a switch descends, levels out and starts to climb up again. Months later, the ascent now appears to me to be too sharp. How sharp? I dunno... the program won't tell me. If I remove the descent, how much will that help to lower the ascent? I dunno... the program won't tell me.

The lack of information on existing tracks is a major omission for me of something that's fundamental. A consist editor? VERY optional.

#539 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:27 PM

Sorry but I don't understand you. I think my RE can do everything about track placing MSTS RE can.
Do you think about showing track elevation etc?

Don't worry about consist editor. It is much simpler task than RE and takes a lot less time to do it. It is worth to do because there is none con editor for OR. Convoi has weird installer and not nice to use and ConBuilder is not free, but has crazy price.
I think it will take me one week to do most awesone con editor, and some parts will be used in RE. (shape viewer for example)

#540 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostGoku, on 03 March 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

Sorry but I don't understand you. I think my RE can do everything about track placing MSTS RE can.
Do you think about showing track elevation etc?

When I select a track shape the panel on the far left says unsupported trackobj.. the resto f the panel is blank. You told me a week ago that wasn't finished (and that's ok, it's still a work in progress). I think it's a pretty important set of data and its absence is a big problem for laying track and roads. Is there some other place I should be looking to see the pitch?

A suggestion: while reviewing the left side panel when the selected object is static I noticed there is no possibility of entering a numeric value to change the current Y Axis rotation -- I don't mean the qdirection but something any user would understand: plus/minus 0.001 to 180. There is an identical need for track object pitch. In KUJU's RE both data depended upon the end user using arrow keys to provide the data. That's fine for gross estimations of position but almost worthless for anything precise. Raising a track object's pitch to .775 with such methods is an exercise in frustration and an ergonomic nightmare. The guy laying the track knows he wants .775; Please let him type it in. Its MUCH faster and much easier to do.

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users