• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#511 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

Yeah I see that Vince but with him expanding it so fast there is a lot more then just the key commands. Your right I should work with Guko to make the Manuel better but like I said it really was just a real quick thing I whipped up to help myself and others. :)

Brandon

#512 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

Brandon,

Thank you

Steve

#513 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

One problem I have had with this new editor which apparently no one else is having is I find it calculates the geocentric position (lat and long) somewhat differently than MSTS. Note in OR and this editor the position is the same but its different in MSTS.

I have tried two routes both by Russel Beer, Victorias Northern main route (Bendigo line and two branch lines) an Vic North east 1950's route. In both of these MSTS's position is usually within around 20 metres of reality where as both OR and the route editor position is around 1100 metres in error. This makes the editor in these cases unusable.

Lindsay

#514 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 29 February 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

One problem I have had with this new editor which apparently no one else is having is I find it calculates the geocentric position (lat and long) somewhat differently than MSTS. Note in OR and this editor the position is the same but its different in MSTS.

That isn't news to me. I've noticed that OR's coordinates do not correspond with MSTS's. I've never quantified the error, though. But it hasn't bothered me, considering MSTS's poor world representation model to begin with... just as long as it's consistent.

#515 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:38 PM

View Postjovet, on 29 February 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

That isn't news to me. I've noticed that OR's coordinates do not correspond with MSTS's. I've never quantified the error, though. But it hasn't bothered me, considering MSTS's poor world representation model to begin with... just as long as it's consistent.

I wonder if this is due to the projection method used....MSTS uses Goode-Homolisine whereas ORTS might use something different, albeit with no real transformation to the coordinate grid. I'll have to see what the correlation is between error and Lat/Lon perhaps?

#516 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:34 PM

View PostThat Genset Foamer, on 29 February 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

I wonder if this is due to the projection method used....MSTS uses Goode-Homolisine whereas ORTS might use something different, albeit with no real transformation to the coordinate grid. I'll have to see what the correlation is between error and Lat/Lon perhaps?

Thank for the responses from the writer and jovet.

The matemeatics for Goode-Homolisine has been published and a quick look sometime back it appears OR uses the published formula, there appear to be two possible causes. As I understand it is that first being MSTS skews the grid so the projection is no longer true Goode-Homolisine. The second possible cause is due I believe to the "great white void problem" so some route developers to get around this shifts the entire route so it displays properly in MSTS. THis appears to have been done in the Adelaide hills and SE route.

In the two cases I mentioned the error is greater than 1000 metres, this is to great to be able to use the current editor. Goku's route editor would though be quite OK on a new route.

An interesting point with this is for one of the routes mentioned, the Vic North east 1950's route which currently extends the 59 miles from Melbourne to Seymour, I have dome a text based marker file (not currently in MSTS format) that extends the whole 240 miles from Melbourne to Wagga in NSW. This "marker file" has the start and end of every curve, bridge, and platform along with the position of every level crossing and culvert. The same goes for two of the branch lines off the main line, the Mansfield line and the Cudgewa line (the latter is for the real line NOT the one from the curve and gradient diagrams).

Post Script; These marker files also have the position of every Mile post also, this has been played with slightly as the line beyond Albury is another state and the railways reference point is different, I have assume the line is still in Victoria.

Lindsay

#517 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:33 AM

Hi Goku
Supports TRSE5 JNodePosn parameter for animation swith? I am building little station and at all swith mising JNodePosn parameter. Animation no function.
http://msts.steam4me...zen_points.html
Thank you for your answer and sorry for my bad English.

#518 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:06 AM

I will fix it in next version.

#519 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:39 AM

Goku,

Just wondering...did you see my post from earlier?

#520 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:50 AM

Yes.

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic