• You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#1591 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hi Goku,
I am not a route builder (yet!), but you are doing a fantastic job with TSRE5!!

We are always being told that we must get up to date - it can be difficult for us older members who can be a little set in our ways!
Please don't let Vince's comments put you off. I'd never heard of permille before reading this thread, but can see that it offers finer control over gradients, or whatever it is applied to.

Keep up the good work :)

Cheers,
Ged

#1592 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

vince, on 09 March 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

Deselect and then re-selecting track the 0/00 field shows 2.6 all good except that the 2.6 displays as .26% in Open Rails!

That's what permille is, Vince. 2.6‰=0.26%. To convert you just move the decimal point. "Percent" literally means "per 100" and "permille" literally means "per 1000".

I can understand that you thought it was a typo or a different word meaning "per cent" on Goku's part... but now that you know it's not, all you have to do is research it.

#1593 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Jovet, on 10 March 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

That's what permille is, Vince. 2.6‰=0.26%. To convert you just move the decimal point. "Percent" literally means "per 100" and "permille" literally means "per 1000". I can understand that you thought it was a typo or a different word meaning "per cent" on Goku's part... but now that you know it's not, all you have to do is research it.

All,
Up to this point there has not been a good explanation as to what the permille was. Last night I did research it.
I have seen the light and DO agree that it is a better and more precise way to measure a gradient.

JOVET's post is what really cleared it up; In permille, just move decimal point one position to the left to get percent.
Gee Goku, coulden't you have said that at the beginning?

Add to the fact that I've always seen percent shown as % and when I saw I thought that a typo also! I too had NEVER heard of permille. Fact is I answered some of Goku's posts where I changed permille to percent thinking it must be a typo.

To quote the late Otto Wipfel (Ottodad) advice to "Always employ the K.I.S.S. principal."
I'll add a heartfelt "PLEASE" to that.

TO CONVERT PERMILLE notation in TSRE TO PERCENT SIMPLY ENTER 2.6 PERMILLE FOR 0.26 PERCENT.
or 20.0 in the permille field to get 2.0 PERCENT. Thank you JOVET and Ged!

Goku, sorry for the rant but I never insisted doing it with percent but only needed a simple example to show me how.
You ASSUMED that I did know permille () is the notation used by Europe where I did not.
Sorry, but I'm not from Europe and know next to nothing how you folks build railroads. But I am learning.

The bottom line is I'd never heard of PERMILLE. That has been corrected.

@Goku>>
"In next version I will add percent/permille option in settings.txt"

Thank you for including percent in the Settings.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/give_rose.gif

regards,
vince

#1594 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

vince, on 10 March 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

Gee Goku, coulden't you have said that at the beginning?

He did. More than once. I am baffled that you missed it, Vince.

Goku, on 01 February 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

There is no glitch. TSRE value is in permilles, OR is in percents. Permiles are easier to read for tracks, because easier is to read 22 permille instead of 2.2 percent. Permiles are commonly used in railway or roadway development outside US.

But I'm glad we're all on the same page now.

#1595 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

Jovet, on 10 March 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

He did. More than once. I am baffled that you missed it, Vince.
But I'm glad we're all on the same page now.

Yes, I missed it here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__215170

Thanks again Jovet,
vince

#1596 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

Gman347, on 10 March 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

Goku, I love what you are doing, and I imagine this can be frustrating at times, but I think that post is the first blatantly vulgar comment I have seen in the six years I have been visiting here. I hope we don't need to be going there.

ADMIN COMMENT

I was out of town when that blatantly vulgar comment was posted so I could not respond myself... another admin addressed the issue and it is not my practice to retroactively second-guess and alter their decisions. That holds true in this case.

However, my patience with Goku's inappropriate postings has been exhausted for some time. I have held off of taking any action in respect for the keen interest many board members have for the software he has contributed. While I have many particular disagreements regarding that work I most certainly do respect both the intent and obvious effort that has been made and I do wish to see the continued evolution of that software.

This board is almost exclusively male and men do tend to be vulgar, often regularly, but on this board the expectation is men will act like gentlemen as-if they are a first-time guest in the home of some slight acquaintance and are wishing to be invited back a second time. Vulgarity can and will be uttered in private between individuals (use PM messages for that) but not within earshot of the group as a whole.

As this has not been the first occurrence of unacceptable posting by Goku and given the language and nature of the most recent offense I want to be perfectly clear to everyone that it will be the last time of overlooking such behavior.

Members who are frustrated with some aspect of his software are to refrain from poking at Goku with a stick and Goku is to refrain from lashing back in anger. It's a low threshold and should be easy to accomplish. Ignore this warning at your peril.

#1597 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:10 AM

Hoping that the situation calms down, I got a request for Goku by a route builder: it may occur that you have to modify an object (.s file + textures) with opened TSRE, to adapt it to the route. In MSTS this was done by modifying the object, moving many tiles away and returing to the tile where the object is: this way MSTS reloaded the modified object.
So the request is for a "refresh" command, that reloads the .s files (at open TSRE) and therefore shows them updated.

#1598 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:41 AM

Csantucci, on 17 March 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

Hoping that the situation calms down, I got a request for Goku by a route builder: it may occur that you have to modify an object (.s file + textures) with opened TSRE, to adapt it to the route. In MSTS this was done by modifying the object, moving many tiles away and returing to the tile where the object is: this way MSTS reloaded the modified object.
So the request is for a "refresh" command, that reloads the .s files (at open TSRE) and therefore shows them updated.

I'll second that request. There are times you'll want to test fit the object in the sim while also having your 3D modeling or texture editing program open.

#1599 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

IMO this is a routine event and refresh (re-reading the world files) would be a very useful feature.

#1600 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

I think this function is already in the latest version 0. 69

See third point of this message: http://www.elvastowe...post__p__217202

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic