Elvas Tower: Updating past models for Open Rails - Elvas Tower

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Updating past models for Open Rails A heads up for anyone interested Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:21 AM

View PostThat Genset Foamer, on 04 October 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

I'm in the process of "evaluating the feasibility" of making a standalone version of the Salinas Valley when release time rolls around for it, and heard some talk of the ORTS team wanting a standalone version of my Timesaver route as well. Cuesta Grade will come with 1 activity which doesn't rely on default stock, but still relies on default Ingame.sms sounds / track sounds. Currently I'm researching how to make a standalone American track soundset for OpenRails and have gathered some recordings.

Thank you. I will be very interested in these when they are completed.

--------------
David

#22 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

View Postgpz, on 05 October 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

Everything is implemented, use F1 for getting help about keyboard assignments.

Geez... I think that's probably the one place I didn't look http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif . Yes indeed I found the keyboard assignments, and the animations do work - thanks! :bigboss:

#23 User is offline   rrfan96 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

Any updates on the OR only models? Just curious is all. :pardon:

#24 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

Well... OK, here's an update :lol2:

The last models which completed the transition to Open Rails were the WP 0-6-0 switchers, though I've been distracted from getting them uploaded yet - so I'll probably get them uploaded in the next few days or so. I've also made a preliminary update to the 2-8-8-2 articulateds, where I went back and updated a few smaller details on those like the bells and such. This was to utilize components I had further refined and improved on my last few models like the WP 4-8-2's and the Frisco 1500's. The only thing I still wish is that there was a way to avoid having to switch the cabs when entering the sim like on the MSTS versions... What I've been working on for the last week or two though is the WP Mikados which has turned into a more extensive project than I originally imagined. When they're all finished, they'll feature some updated textures borrowed from my later models, as well as more detailed rods, bells, safety valves, whistles, and various other details which I've adapted from my later models to dress them up a bit :lol2:

I'll try to get the switchers uploaded by the weekend at the latest, and hopefully the Mikados will be finished in the next couple weeks or so.

What I've realized though, after working on the Mikados, is that the Consolidations (both D&RGW and WP), along with the WP and D&RGW ten wheelers will really require a fair amount of work to update and be ready for an OR release. I haven't decided if I'll do that first, or sneak the CB&Q ten wheeler 710 and sisters in first. The CB&Q ten wheelers have actually already been started, and as the days pass I'm feeling a stronger urge to get back to working on them. So, I guess we'll just have to see what happens ;)

#25 User is offline   RTP 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:36 AM

In:

http://www.spaintrai...index.php?cid=4

there are a quantity of high quality models, for OR only.

Regards.

#26 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:48 AM

There is no reason why an articulated cannot be built as a single model, just have to get the pivot points right.

#27 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

I've been a little sidetracked and distracted at times, but have still been working on this project when time allows... And I think I've gotten really close to having the WP Mikados fully updated and ready for Open Rails, pending a little more testing :unknw: The updating work on these turned out to be even more than I thought in my last update, which was already pretty extensive at that time lol. I think the result has been worth the effort though, as the improved appliances and other details have improved their look quite a bit I think. I'm including a few screenshots from tonight to show their improved look - and of course the great thing about them now is that the crews are added as FA's to the main shape :)

Back to the articulated engines for a minute though... Copperpen - you said that articulated steamers can be built as a single model today if the pivot points are correct. I wasn't aware that OR was set up to handle this yet, and I would be really interested to know what the hierarchy structure would be? For instance, if all of the "Wheels" groups are children of the MAIN node, they would simply remain rigidly inline wouldn't they? Do you know where there's an articulated steamer that has been modeled for OR that pivots in the middle that I could download and examine?

I still need to get the WP 0-6-0 switchers uploaded too, which I hope to do in the next day or so... for the moment though, on to the screenshots :)

Attached Image: WPORMikes1.jpg

Attached Image: WPORMikes2.jpg

Attached Image: WPORMikes3.jpg

#28 User is offline   rrfan96 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:39 PM

They look fantastic Derek! Love the updates! :unknw:

*Edit* The WP 0-6-0's that were just released are flawless, great work Derek. :)

This post has been edited by rrfan96: 04 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

#29 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:16 AM

View Postmidneguy, on 02 November 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

Back to the articulated engines for a minute though... Copperpen - you said that articulated steamers can be built as a single model today if the pivot points are correct. I wasn't aware that OR was set up to handle this yet, and I would be really interested to know what the hierarchy structure would be? For instance, if all of the "Wheels" groups are children of the MAIN node, they would simply remain rigidly inline wouldn't they? Do you know where there's an articulated steamer that has been modeled for OR that pivots in the middle that I could download and examine?

When I call it a single model, I mean that the lead engine is no longer a separate entity. It is modelled as a bogie so you have a 4-6-6-4 as bogie-bogie-main-bogie. Many years ago I built a rough concept model based on the Big Boy dimensions and ran it in MSTS.

There is a model built like this that has been around for many years. It is called the HOAM, or Heck Of A Machine. It was built by a guy known as Mad Mike who always made models that pushed the envelope.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: HOAM.jpg

#30 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

I have checked out the HOAM model and though it is impressive, there are still limitations and problems with respect to how I would expect an articulated engine to be able to behave in the sim... For instance, lights and steam / smoke FX are still referenced back to the MAIN node, which is a problem for keeping these features aligned with the front pivoting portion of the engine - in particular when the headlight is mounted on the pilot like on the WP 2-8-8-2's. Also, the HOAM doesn't have side rods attached to the front set of drivers and all the valve gear required... my understanding is that these animated features are not supported within Bogie groups? I also see specifying the different wheel diameters for the drivers and lead / trailing axles to be a problem when drivers are placed in Bogie groups as well... Bogie wheels are also unpowered so I don't believe they would show slipping when this is supposed to occur? From what I've seen, the sim(s) can be tricked to a point but there are still shortcomings that need to be overcome?

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users