Elvas Tower: Updating past models for Open Rails - Elvas Tower

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Updating past models for Open Rails A heads up for anyone interested Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Hey everyone :D

I thought I'd put up a brief announcement that I have started the process of updating my past steam engine models for Open Rails, in particular the later ones which required split shapes to be able to load into MSTS. At the top of my list are the Southern Pacific 4-8-4 GS-2's, GS-6's, and the Western Pacific GS-64's and 4-8-2's. From there I will continue to progress backwards through at least the WP Mikados, which were the first that required a portion of the engine details to be placed in an FA to make the models work in MSTS. I have just submitted the first group to be updated, the SP GS-2's, into the main (non-beta) file library this evening as part of this effort :)

I am updating the shape files to be one shape rather than split like they were in OR, which will allow the crews to be added as an FA rather than using crew cars. I am also going through the .eng files to include the Open Rails steam engine parameters for accurate performance, and also re-tuning my past sound designs to be correctly synchronized when the engines are being run in OR.

I'll use this thread to announce when additional Open Rails sets of my past engines have been submitted to the library, and I hope everyone will enjoy running the engines in the ever improving world of Open Rails B)

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:42 PM

:yahoo:

#3 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:59 PM

Good things are happening! :yahoo:

#4 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:52 PM

I think this will be an on-going process as OR continues to develop.

At some stage we will need a stable version 1.0. [No pressure, of course. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/give_rose.gif]

Cheers Bazza.

#5 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

I have just driven a GS2 from Eugene to McCredie. One word will do, awesome. On the steeper stretches, the sound made my desk vibrate. Thankyou Derek.

#6 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the compliments and enthusiasm http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif

I thought about holding off on this until an official 1.0 state of Open Rails had been reached, but I obviously decided against it... In my mind, Open Rails has gotten to the point where it is so good, that it's a shame to not turn these models loose in it and take advantage of its capabilities. And, in my mind the only thing that really needs final tuning steam wise is the smoke, which as we know isn't too bad but is still a work in progress. Once that is sorted out and (hopefully) user / modeler defined parameters available, I may upload a simple "fix" to update to the final smoke settings. Regardless, I'm truly enjoying running in Open Rails at this point and really don't see any need personally to revert back to MSTS. This doesn't mean I won't release an MSTS compatible version of a future model if it's feasible, but that's not going to be an overriding concern for me going forward.

Anyway, I have just submitted to the file library the next Open Rails batch of updated models, which is the Southern Pacific GS-6's :yahoo: Next on the list will be the WP GS-64's, with the other models to follow after that ;)

By the way - thanks to Herb for recommending the addition of the "passenger view" inside the cab which provides a slighly improved view out the front window on GS-6's :good2:

#7 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

Is there a route available anywhere which needs only OR and not MSTS, where I can try these models?

#8 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

View Postdforrest, on 03 October 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

Is there a route available anywhere which needs only OR and not MSTS, where I can try these models?

Hi, Coals to Newcastle offers some OR compatible routes that don't require MSTS to be installed.

#9 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Johnny, I have those and could use them but I was looking for a US based route possibly with activities.

#10 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

View Postdforrest, on 03 October 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

Thanks Johnny, I have those and could use them but I was looking for a US based route possibly with activities.

Hi, Sorry, I haven't tried the routes from coals to Newcastle myself, so I don't know if they have a custom global folder or not, have you tried putting another route in the same installation as the Coals to Newcastle routes?

I'll try downloading one of these routes to see if i can figure out what is what and get back to you.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users