Elvas Tower: 3D Cabs - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 81 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Cabs Rate Topic: -----

#771 User is offline   ExRail 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 03 March 2024 - 07:26 AM

View PostVAPOR3D, on 18 December 2023 - 11:17 AM, said:

Well, the "problem" with the FreightAnim, solved. It turns out that I was working on a file of the same name but in another folder. Consequence of having so many files open in Notepad++. :pleasantry:

I've just looked into how to disabling opening of old files in Notepad++ because of a related problem,
so if you also want to do that or not already have done it:
https://stackoverflo...-previous-files

#772 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 03 March 2024 - 08:09 AM

One of the reasons I stopped using Notepad++ lol I guess there was a fix.

#773 User is offline   SYogurt 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 March 2024 - 09:50 AM

Question I'm hoping you all have an answer for!

Working on my Genesis cab this week, things are going along pretty nicely for the time being. I hope to be able to use the multiple screen pages function in Open Rails to have the contemporary P42 displays or the original P40 displays. The P40 displays use a lot of bar graphs - is it possible to make the speedometer in bar graph form in a similar way to the brake pressures and loading amps? I would try to do this with a scale animation but I've heard those don't work right in Blender so that's why I'm here!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/721440371925844038/1219123162911084555/Screenshot_2024-03-17_214536.png?ex=660a27ec&is=65f7b2ec&hm=3ecf53ed9f378f4d411445e9a175ac715d9f9046e932c3e023d346051b10b086&
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/725205111172759563/1219410182849826866/scrPRR8397a.jpg?ex=660b333b&is=65f8be3b&hm=0f6b4fc76cdbb20e9338061e785a4ab57bf6344f221122adb84613c4dad4d7d0&

#774 User is offline   ExRail 

• Fireman

Posted 19 March 2024 - 01:40 PM

View PostSYogurt, on 19 March 2024 - 09:50 AM, said:

Question I'm hoping you all have an answer for!

Working on my Genesis cab this week, things are going along pretty nicely for the time being. I hope to be able to use the multiple screen pages function in Open Rails to have the contemporary P42 displays or the original P40 displays. The P40 displays use a lot of bar graphs - is it possible to make the speedometer in bar graph form in a similar way to the brake pressures and loading amps? I would try to do this with a scale animation but I've heard those don't work right in Blender so that's why I'm here!

Only way current to my knowledge is making the bar indicator transparent and animate a white bar below, but that requires room to spare and is a hack or use a bar gauge.
I did find someone doing a bar speedometer but that required some much manual animation that it seamed crazy, especially when what we need
is a display screen to map a generated texture on, like FS2004/FSX gauges do in MSFS 3D cockpits.

The panel I made was basically one large screen, but I had to think of it as a mechanical thing with virtual ropes going from the keys to the two-states, to pull it out from behind.

What we got I awesome and great, but just to get scaling animation working would be nice.

#775 User is offline   SYogurt 

• Fireman

Posted 19 March 2024 - 01:48 PM

View PostExRail, on 19 March 2024 - 01:40 PM, said:

Only way current to my knowledge is making the bar indicator transparent and animate a white bar below, but that requires room to spare and is a hack or use a bar gauge.
I did find someone doing a bar speedometer but that required some much manual animation that it seamed crazy, especially when what we need
is a display screen to map a generated texture on, like FS2004/FSX gauges do in MSFS 3D cockpits.

The panel I made was basically one large screen, but I had to think of it as a mechanical thing with virtual ropes going from the keys to the two-states, to pull it out from behind.

What we got I awesome and great, but just to get scaling animation working would be nice.

I think you're onto something with that first idea, it's a little more work than I wanted to do vs. using a scaling animation but if I just make the screen texture transparent in that area I can just have a translation for the speed. I should have plenty of space to do it, but we'll see. If anyone else has thoughts feel free to share! Appreciate the ideas!

#776 User is offline   ExRail 

• Fireman

Posted 20 March 2024 - 09:43 AM

View PostSYogurt, on 19 March 2024 - 01:48 PM, said:

I think you're onto something with that first idea, it's a little more work than I wanted to do vs. using a scaling animation but if I just make the screen texture transparent in that area I can just have a translation for the speed. I should have plenty of space to do it, but we'll see. If anyone else has thoughts feel free to share! Appreciate the ideas!

Placing a transparent texture, mapped to a copy of the bar gauge and placed in front, looks kind of ok, it's effected by the light and shadows, but if its total black lines it will properly not shift like is does with gray.
Attached Image: BarCover.jpg
So the stack now is Bargauge in the background (it needs to be 10mm behind background image to be 2 mm above background image) and Bargauge cover.

It take some micro alignment to get it right.
Attached Image: Bug_or_Feature.jpg

#777 User is offline   SYogurt 

• Fireman

Posted 20 March 2024 - 11:18 AM

View PostExRail, on 20 March 2024 - 09:43 AM, said:

Placing a transparent texture, mapped to a copy of the bar gauge and placed in front, looks kind of ok, it's effected by the light and shadows, but if its total black lines it will properly not shift like is does with gray.
Attachment BarCover.jpg
So the stack now is Bargauge in the background (it needs to be 10mm behind background image to be 2 mm above background image) and Bargauge cover.

It take some micro alignment to get it right.
Attachment Bug_or_Feature.jpg

Does using the MSTS material type Unshaded or Emissive solve that problem for those bars? I use that material for the screens to keep them "lit" at night.

#778 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 March 2024 - 10:41 PM

View PostSYogurt, on 20 March 2024 - 11:18 AM, said:

Does using the MSTS material type Unshaded or Emissive solve that problem for those bars? I use that material for the screens to keep them "lit" at night.

I'd recommend "Full Bright" or "Half Bright."

#779 User is offline   ExRail 

• Fireman

Posted 24 March 2024 - 06:44 AM

View PostSYogurt, on 20 March 2024 - 11:18 AM, said:

It sure do, I've just looked, all my other instruments are using Full Bright. It's been 6 months or more since I went deep into this.

#780 User is offline   ExRail 

• Fireman

Posted 24 March 2024 - 07:19 AM

I just stumbled into this looking into the old folders,
a pack of 16 fonts for the 'Digital' instrument I made, but can't recall if I ever posted it,
both Ace and HD png are included.

Attached Image: Font_Collection.jpg

Attached File  16_Different_BitmapFonts_256x256px_ACE_and_fullsize_PNG's.zip (903.73K)
Number of downloads: 14

Might as well post the Decoding CabView Controls 1.5 I've just been using to see what the Digital instrument was called,
since I had forgot that.
Attached File  Decoding CabViewControls 1.5.1_ExRail_A3_v1.pdf (81.48K)
Number of downloads: 20

• 81 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users