Elvas Tower: 3D Cabs - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Cabs Rate Topic: -----

#801 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 April 2024 - 10:01 PM

Hello.
Could someone tell me (Manual can't), are kgf/cm2 pressure units supported currently? BAR isn't SI UoMs in fact.

About new cvf-tokens:
Looks as very good improvement. It reminds me function kx+b, where k is factor (multiplier) and b is addition, do I catch it right?

#802 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 01 May 2024 - 07:12 AM

Weird unit, using kilograms as a force...But KGS_PER_SQUARE_CM is probably what you are looking for.

And yes, the new tokens are just a fancy way to program a line where the input is data from the train and the output is a number in the cab view.

#803 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 01 May 2024 - 10:19 AM

Thanks.
Is KGS_PER_SQUARE_CM already supported?
Modern standard is Megapascals (1MPa=100kgf/cm2), but old tradition is still persists, allowing to read integer numbers on dials, neither dozens of kilo pascals.

Kilogram-force (килограмм-сила)
That's why it abbreviated as kgs (not plural of kilogram)

I have a question, then: since we apply said coefficient and shift (if needed), what it will be look on HUD? Just number, without UoM?
With dials, will ScaleRange be in resulting units?

#804 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 01 May 2024 - 10:40 AM

On our steam locos and early electrics, kg/cm2 was the units on all cab gauges, but bar is close enough to get by in the sim.

#805 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor

Posted 01 May 2024 - 10:51 AM

View PostWeter, on 01 May 2024 - 10:19 AM, said:

Thanks.
Is KGS_PER_SQUARE_CM already supported?

Yes KGS_PER_SQUARE_CM is supported I wasn't pulling that out of nowhere.

#806 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 01 May 2024 - 06:07 PM

@Phillip
Thanks.
@Jonatan
1 bar ~ 1.013 kgf/cm2

#807 User is offline   akioyamamura 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 May 2024 - 09:55 AM

View Postpschlik, on 30 April 2024 - 09:12 PM, said:

KM_HOUR_MIN is now a valid cab unit in the unstable version.

To save from annoyance in the future, I also added some tokens that can be placed in a cab view control to create custom units of measure.

• ORTSUnitsScaleFactor ( x ) - Multiplies the value shown by the cab view control by a factor of x. For example, a cab view control with units of MILES_PER_HOUR can be converted to feet per second (a unit ORTS does not support) using ORTSUnitsScaleFactor ( 1.467 ). Can be any decimal number (negative, fractional, 0...all should work). If not specified, the factor is 1 (ie: no change).
  • ORTSUnitsOffset ( z ) - After the scale factor is applied, adds z to the value shown by the cab view control. For example, a cab view control with units of BAR actually shows gauge pressure specifically. This can be converted to absolute pressure in BAR with ORTSUnitsOffset ( 0.987 ). This can also be any decimal number, but negative numbers will reduce the value shown by the cab view control. If not specified, the offset is 0 (ie: no change).

These can be combined to, eg, convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit (that would be ORTSUnitsScaleFactor ( 1.8 ) and ORTSUnitsOffset ( 32 ) combined, though this is a bad example as ORTS should support both units when a temperature gauge becomes a thing), and probably do some other weird things. The point is flexibility to allow for unusual units, so imagination is the limit.

That said, I'd still recommend choosing an official unit of measure if it exists (there is no reason to use MILES and ORTSUnitsScaleFactor ( 5280 ) when FEET is already a valid unit) and submitting a feature request for any units that seem important enough to add officially. If you want to measure a force in decinewtons (0.1 newtons), that's on you, but something like kiloamps is useful and might be worth adding.

Thanks for that! It's a awesome feature, even to reproduce the inconsistance between different equipment showing the same parameter. For example, some railroads use 3 different speedometer in the same locomotive, each one from a different source, and of course, each one will show something different. I don't know if it's difficult, but please, could you extend the "Precision" and "UpdateTime" command, now used just for speedometer gauge, for all cab view controls? This will implement a little more reality to the displays in cabs.

#808 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor

Posted 02 May 2024 - 10:16 AM

I don't know of any settings for precision or update time, that might be an unofficial feature and I'm only messing with the official version of OR.

#809 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor

Posted 02 May 2024 - 11:23 AM

I have a question, then: since we apply said coefficient and shift (if needed), what it will be look on HUD? Just number, without UoM?
With dials, will ScaleRange be in resulting units?

Nothing will change the HUD because the units of the HUD are set completely differently to the cabview.

For things like scale range and the accuracy switch, keep in mind that the adjustments to the units happens before anything else, which means that the min and max values, accuracy switch, color change, etc. will be determined using the resulting data not the original data.

For example, let's say you have an ammeter that can show up to 8 kilo-amps. To show kilo-amps, you use Units ( AMPS ) and then ORTSUnitsScaleFactor ( 0.001 ) to convert amps to kilo-amps (5000 A * 0.001 = 5 kA). Now that you are in kilo-amps, you should set ScaleRange ( 0 8 ), and the gauge will max out at 8 kA, which will happen when 8000 amps are simulated. Hopefully this is more intuitive, as you can look at the gauge in real life, see "oh, the maximum value is 8 kA" and just type 8 into the .cvf file instead of manually converting units every step of the way.

#810 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 02 May 2024 - 11:40 AM

Hello.

min and max values, accuracy switch, color change, etc. will be determined using the resulting data not the original data.

That's a good news.
I'll try to use Bar > kgf/cm2 conversion for brake system's manometers and see, how it works.
bar and bar/s units are simply to use in *.cvf's code.
However, if You have said, KGS_PER_SQUARE_CM is already valid... the rate in KGS_PER_SQUARE_CM/s too?
Thanks again. Questions might follow...

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users