Elvas Tower: OR Steam Exhaust - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OR Steam Exhaust New Changes Rate Topic: -----

#271 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

Nice video of a British steamer from the cab on how to operate one properly! I have to agree that all of those 3 things above need to be looked at and adjusted. Also with firing another thing that should be made into account is Auto Stokers and would also be more realistic if the fireman knew what parts of the fire to adjust instead of just throwing coal into the fire.

https://www.youtube....h?v=GHuYeYttBb8

#272 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:23 PM

If the engine is a coal burner with cyclone front end, the smoke will come out with a swirling motion...

:ko2: :wacko: ;)!?

#273 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

I think we need to look to a very little known sim for ideas on how exhaust should be carried out. This was done by a single person AFAIK as far back as the early 2000s.

The smoke has very realistic particle physics and drifts, slowly, on the wind. Also note the cylinder cock steam as well as the rocking motion!

Some other views, note the big drifting and expanding plume from the standing Garratt:

On a sidenote: I think, as a personal opinion, that those who seek to develop OR into a completely new sim should look for something else, as my understanding with OR is the intention to be an extension of MSTS and therefore keep all elements of MSTS but add to and enhance existing features.

#274 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostJonatan, on 28 October 2015 - 12:55 AM, said:

The smoke has very realistic particle physics and drifts, slowly, on the wind. Also note the cylinder cock steam as well as the rocking motion!

That's indeed quite nice - and we should aim for the best effect we can - but it's a balancing act. Open Rails tries to balance simulation and visuals, but that's not to say things have to look bad. The smoke/etc. effects are an area I am aware we need to work more on it.

View PostJonatan, on 28 October 2015 - 12:55 AM, said:

On a sidenote: I think, as a personal opinion, that those who seek to develop OR into a completely new sim should look for something else, as my understanding with OR is the intention to be an extension of MSTS and therefore keep all elements of MSTS but add to and enhance existing features.

The original aim was a completely new sim, bootstrapped by MSTS content, but it did snowball quite a lot on the MSTS content front. We don't have a very precise vision right now (which is partly my fault) but I would love for OR to start supporting its own content and independent-of-MSTS features sooner rather than later. That said, I would suggest that OR's target audience is not that far off MSTS's - somewhere between the casual gamer (who wants basic controls and nice visuals) and the hardcore sim-er (who wants every switch to do something and top-notch physics).

#275 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:56 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 29 October 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

The original aim was a completely new sim, bootstrapped by MSTS content, but it did snowball quite a lot on the MSTS content front. We don't have a very precise vision right now (which is partly my fault) but I would love for OR to start supporting its own content and independent-of-MSTS features sooner rather than later. That said, I would suggest that OR's target audience is not that far off MSTS's - somewhere between the casual gamer (who wants basic controls and nice visuals) and the hardcore sim-er (who wants every switch to do something and top-notch physics).

I think you nailed it James: We are those who have been totally enamored of MSTS and are really stoked about the fact that the content - both rolling stock and routes - of MSTS now operates in a much more realistic, efficient and robust environment with full screen capability and outstanding graphics. ORTS works SO much better than MSTS ever did with features that closely resemble the actual operation of trains in the real world.

I am delighted with what you have done to date and look forward to even greater operation. :sign_thanks: :bigboss:

#276 User is offline   openheaders 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:28 AM

I have to admit even though Trainz a New Era was a bit of a flop in my humble opinion they hit one thing on the nail.... Steamers in the latest update have in my opinion the best steam chuffing effects i have seen in a game... https://youtu.be/JvJ3qVq4HNo At about 5:30 in the vid you can see the starting effects of steamers in a new era. ~Note I have no idea how to post a video directly to the forum so go easy on me....

#277 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:59 PM

View Postdforrest, on 05 June 2016 - 07:24 AM, said:

I have turntables working on the UK Black Country 1 and Cannock Chase 5 routes.

Em, how does this pertain to Steam Exhaust..?

#278 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:32 AM

View PostKazareh, on 05 June 2016 - 10:59 PM, said:

Em, how does this pertain to Steam Exhaust..?

It doesn't. I posted in the wrong thread!

#279 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:41 PM

View Postdforrest, on 06 June 2016 - 02:32 AM, said:

It doesn't. I posted in the wrong thread!

Ohh, alright. It happens! :)

#280 User is offline   JordySmeets 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:24 AM

About steam exhausts ^^ Perhaps an interesting idea for winter rides: steam heating between carriages? during the winter or the autumn I usually see steam coming from between the carriages from the steam heating, isn't this a possibility to add for OR passenger cars? Perhaps with an extra FX line for rail cars? (matter of fact it could be useful for caboose exhausts or kitchen car exhausts as well)

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users