Elvas Tower: OR Steam Exhaust - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OR Steam Exhaust New Changes Rate Topic: -----

#261 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

I like where this is going too. Wish I was more of a computer programmer because then I could help out with trying to work out the kinks with the smoke. I am a big steam guy and know quite a bit about how a locomotive is to be fired.

Brandon

#262 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:03 PM

Gee, Herb, 'smoke' is suppose to have kinks in-it...http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/bigboss.gif

Cheers Bazza.

#263 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

Apparently, they also sometimes throw a shovelful of sand into the firebox and it's immediately drawn through the tubes and cleans them of soot. The end result is a spectacular blast out of the stack.

CB.

#264 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:16 PM

That would certainly be true of oil burners. Coal burners have their own grit to score the flues. :bigboss:

#265 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

There is quite a bit of work that still needs to be done to steam locomotives and I feel like the smoke code needs a new makeover. What it really needs is a puff simulation and the cylinder cocks need to work as individual not just one stream of steam on both sides of the locomotive. This would have to also be reworked in the ENG file as well. Another thing I have thought of are air pump steam, Dyno steam along with other areas that produce steam while operating a steam locomotive like a Blow down and pop off valves when the pressure gets too great. I really wish I could help with coding but I'm not that advanced when it comes to computers. Sure I make models, edit Eng Files, make my own sound sets and repaint locomotives but I am not sure about how you would go about coding all of this!

Brandon

#266 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:56 AM

All things that are on a great long todo list. The cylinder cocks would also need to be linked to piston movement as there are two per cylinder. There are also cylinder over-pressure valves to consider. For a synchronised "puff" to look good, the particle physics for that area would need a total rework with high initial acceleration and slow decay. That however does place an extra load on processing. Just watch the FPS tank when you run an unmodified diesel that has a heavy exhaust.

#267 User is online   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:12 AM

Of course, we can complicate it further! If the engine is a coal burner with cyclone front end, the smoke will come out with a swirling motion :shock6:

It would be really nice to see the exhaust on a loco starting a heavy train, to be individual blasts that go straight up until a bit of speed is reached.

Steve

#268 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:16 AM

View PostSVRy_Steve, on 22 October 2015 - 04:12 AM, said:

It would be really nice to see the exhaust on a loco starting a heavy train, to be individual blasts that go straight up until a bit of speed is reached.

Steve

Exactly what I would like to see. Does not have to be very high, just high enough to look good. A bit more lift to the exhaust while not moving would be an improvement as well, along with not having that awful pall hanging about when the throttle is opened.

#269 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:27 PM

This is how we need Steam Locomotives to look in Open Rails eventually! https://www.youtube....h?v=wFAk0hywU6w

#270 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:09 AM

Three things need to happen for this. 1. Overhaul of the particle physics code for steam to include initial stack velocity under varying conditions. 2. Reworking of the steam fireman code to allow breaks in the auto firing and then link the stack colour to this. 3. The sound system is old and clunky, read MSTS. It too needs something different for steam locomotives.

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users