Elvas Tower: OR Steam Exhaust - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OR Steam Exhaust New Changes Rate Topic: -----

#291 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:10 AM

couple more

i dont know if it makes a differnce how the ENG file is adjusted or how the environment of the route makes a difference either.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Steam on the LPS 1.jpg
  • Attached Image: Steam on the LPS2.jpg

#292 User is offline   openheaders 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

Any news on the potential development of better exhaust effects? I got little curious after seeing the new version of openrails.

Thanks,
Steve

#293 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

Better smoke effects can be achieved by using better textures in the MSTS folders. There are some great looking smoke textures available and they do make a difference...

Robert

#294 User is offline   openheaders 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

Oh I meant like the physics and puffing effects. My apologies I should have been more specific. One of the things I see now a days is the latest train simulator going back to 2001 with it's smoke system and I look at Trainz a new era with its sort of realistic smoke system (probably the only thing I like about it) and wonder why other sims haven't caught on. Honestly I've been hoping for a long while for a train sim that hits the steamer right on the nail and I think openrails has all that potential.

#295 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

I have to agree with the last post. I think open rails has the potential to have the steam effect be great but it's going to take time. Working on a real steam locomotive I know quite a bit about how it should look and act. My main issue is yes it needs to have that puffing effect. Also the cylinder cocks need to be more realisic. It's great that you can now have cylinder sounds attached to the C key along with individual cylinder steam but I would like to see it also act according to how much pressure is in the cylinders as well and blast out instead of just little small jets of steam coming out that looks really wimpy. If that could all get figured out it would make the smoke look much more realistic.

Brandon

#296 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:22 PM

So I was thinking would it be possible to distinguish coal tenders from oil tenders and even wood tenders and the difference in efficiency it would be? Right now open rails and MSTS only have Coal tenders. Another thought I had was water tenders and if when one was hooked up to a steam locomotive it would automatically increase the water.

Brandon

#297 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

Water tenders are already a feature in ORTS. Consult ORTS manual for proper setup.

Robert

#298 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

Thanks Robert

#299 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:03 AM

Hi,
I hope this is in the correct thread - it is concerning exhaust, but, mainly, smoke.

Seeing m61's excellent demonstration of timetable mode here : https://youtu.be/1YYpubAaQ04 made me wonder if the smoke effects could be modified. UK steam locos don't, in general, "puff" while they are stationary. This may vary from slight wisps, to a more steady stream, particularly when the fire is being stoked, in which case the colour can be anything from light grey to black! I appreciate that this can depend on the ancilliary equipment carried by the loco (maybe compressors?), but could the "stationary puffing" be selected by a parameter in the .eng file?

Cheers,
Ged

#300 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

MSTS has a better effect for stationary locomotives, but a bit on the heavy side. A steam locomotive in steam, when stationary will always have a slight haze rising from the chimney as a minimum. If the blower is operating there will also be a wisp or plume of steam in the mix. OR does need a rework of how the textures for the steam exhaust are used, Particle system is where that all happens and supposedly synched with the driver revolutions, but seeing a locomotive at speed from the side makes that a bit hard to believe.

As for the clouds of steam that appear when cylinder cocks are opened, that will need to be a separate bit of the particle system along with all of the ancillaries to avoid the puffing graphics.

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users