• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OR Not Loading Constant OR Error Box Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   GTADon 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

That is about the only thing I have not tried at this time. I am using Norton 360, (please don't tell me what I should be using), I do have an auto-backup on an external disc running as well. I will isolate the computer from all outside influences and have a go.

I tried running an Activity that I just ran all the way through in MSTS without issue, but I am still getting the same error box about Open Rails Activity Runner has Stopped working. That is after the confirmation programs that I was asked to run.

I will see what happens this time.

Thank you for the assistance.

#42 User is offline   GTADon 

• Fireman

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

OK! We seem to in business on this end finally!

I disconnected the Back-up drive and things seem to be working. I tried the Surfliner activity that I finished with MSTS and it is working. It is a nice difference, but now I have to get used to the differing controls.

I will have to see if there is a way of disabling the backup drive when I need to play trains!lol It is a Seagate, so there should be lots of help at their site.

Thank you all for your assistance, it is great to know there are people willing to help. So often it is something like this, so simple. I am sure this will help someone else along the line.

#43 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Nice to see you got it running. Have to say, and external backup drive never crossed my mind as a possible cause, because I have three of them connected here.

#44 User is offline   GTADon 

• Fireman

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

I think it was more in the way it was set up to run, always constantly backing up the computer. One of those things where you do the install and never get around to setting it up properly. Now that it is set up to NOT interfere, everything seems to be good!

Right now I am using it to run the new Marias Pass 5, what a nice improvement over both previous versions and doubly so with OR!

Thanks again, and maybe keep that in mind if someone has a loading problem.

#45 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostGTADon, on 04 June 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

I think it was more in the way it was set up to run, always constantly backing up the computer.

Ah, backup software, something I hadn't considered. In the same way anti-virus software might scan a file shortly after it is created, the backup software must've been trying to back up the OR log file. (But without using the best APIs to do it, like most A/V software these days does.)

#46 User is offline   R H Steele 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

After I stuck my "idiots two cents worth" (I was very wrong) I have been following to see what was the problem. Amazing...back up drive. Good education. Glad it got solved. You should enjoy OR very much. rhs

#47 User is offline   GTADon 

• Fireman

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Thank you again to all who contributed. Maybe this instance will shorten someone else's diagnosis. First check the Back-Ups!

I am now enjoying Open Rails and right now the new Marias Pass route.

One question, some of the "Loose-Consist" engines have nothing more than exhaust smoke while I am passing by, is something easy to deal with? Is there something in the locomotive "ENG" file that OR does not read correctly? They seem to be the default Dash 9.

#48 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

When you say only have smoke, does this mean there is no visible shape?.

#49 User is offline   GTADon 

• Fireman

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yes, no substance to the locomotive at all. I had the same thing with the default activity in Maris Pass (MSTS Version), the interior showed fine, but when switched to an outside view (2-key), nothing but smoke and headlights. That is why I think it has something to do with the MSTS Dash 9 locomotive. Yes the Dash9 has all the updates.

I am substituting other locos for the Dash9 in consists and as loose consists to see what happens.

#50 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Don

I have run the eastbound activity as far as Essex and all locomotives show. The AI are all using the dash9, and the locomotives in the sidings at Essex are the SD40-2.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users