• You cannot reply to this topic

Riverland Lines W.I.P. Interurban Electric route for TS2015 Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   bobbie 

• Fireman
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts
  • Simulator:Railworks/MSTS

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

View Postsawyer811, on 18 August 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

Needs Moar Boxcab/Steeple Cab electric freight locos :D:)

I might try to make them in a later staduim... need to figure all the RW asset stuff out first. Some things are a real pain in the bass compared to msts..... :)

#32 User is offline   bobbie 

• Fireman

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

Hi everyone,

Yes it has been a long time since my last post on this forum, Reason is that i don't have that much time lately (due to my Job and other stuff at home)... but this project is not death. It's progressing slowely and there is now more than 1 person working on it. Jpetersjr is helping with a lot of Content for this route, So that in the end, it will be 100% Freeware, and no more Payware (only HSC route addon at the moment) needed to run this route!

The trackage hase changed a bit to make the route more interresting for everyone.(more industries and pieces of double track added).

Here are some screenshots:

Attached File  Rss58.jpg (787.87K)
Number of downloads: 17
Train at the Riverview Rd. in MillCreek, There is a flagged stop on this road. The trains have to maneuver trough 3 thight curves to get out of Millcreek.

Attached File  Rss59.jpg (820.45K)
Number of downloads: 21
The new layout at the Mapleton station.

Attached File  Rss61.jpg (818.79K)
Number of downloads: 22
B&M GE44 with a small freight train trough the northern side of Millcreek

Attached File  Rss64.jpg (835.29K)
Number of downloads: 23
The B&M Railway near Millcreek (al though, you will probarly never drive over it...)

Attached File  Rss65.jpg (835.26K)
Number of downloads: 16
And the last screenshot is taken south of Mapleton, at the brand new Oxford Suites Hotel.

Enjoy the pictures, I will come back now and then to give a new update on the route! :-)

Cheers,
Bob

#33 User is offline   bobbie 

• Fireman

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

ok, i'm going to try to be more active on this forum again, but it's hard to find time at the moment...

Here are some new shots on the route, Marc from 3D trains released some 3D trees, which give the route a whole new look if you ask me :)

Attached File  Rss85.jpg (1.12MB)
Number of downloads: 9
A GE44 tonner with a mixed freight train from New Holland on it's way to Millcreek, just Northbound of the Mapleton station.

Attached File  Rss87.jpg (836.9K)
Number of downloads: 11
2 trains meet just south of Mapleton, the 3 car train is the Express train to New Holland, the 2 car train goes to the Millcreek B&M terminal.

Attached File  Rss86.jpg (1.09MB)
Number of downloads: 10
2 hours later, the crew from the 118 took a littke coffee brake, while a long Riverland Express train from the NHT depart's from Mapleton to resume his way to New Holland.

Attached File  Rss88.jpg (1.03MB)
30 minutes later, The train from the B&M Terminal in Millcreek was on it's way back to New Holland and just stopped at the Millcreek station.

Attached File  Rss89.jpg (1.04MB)
B&M mixed freight train between Old Greenwood and New Holland.

and here is also a small video from Millcreek:

The video doesn't have the 3D trees yet, because it's from before Marc released them..

Cheers,
Bob

#34 User is offline   bobbie 

• Fireman

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Hey everyone,

I need some help here... I can't figure out what i want over here. The scenery looks nice as it is right now, but it devides Mapleton in 2 sections, not that i's bad. but i need some thoughts on the fact to leave it like this, or build more houses on the rural piece of area, so it makes one whole Mapleton.

Attached File  littlebitofhelphere.jpg (701.13K)
Number of downloads: 10

If anyone could help me out with some advise about what's best for the route, i'd be glad to hear it.

Cheers,
Bob

#35 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

One thing that is different about American and European land use patterns is that things are much more diffuse and spread out in the states. Towns rarely end suddenly and become rural, there is usually a bit of transition where houses become more infrequent and a mixed in between farmland and so on. You can see this in google earth, I imagine.
Christopher

#36 User is offline   bobbie 

• Fireman

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

View Postconductorchris, on 14 August 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

One thing that is different about American and European land use patterns is that things are much more diffuse and spread out in the states. Towns rarely end suddenly and become rural, there is usually a bit of transition where houses become more infrequent and a mixed in between farmland and so on. You can see this in google earth, I imagine.
Christopher

Yes, I do imply it on my route,. I simply want to make is as real as possible. The only thing right now, is that the town is a bit split in two. There are still some houses between the two parts, I just can't really figure out if i want to close the gap between the two parts, because it looks nice either way...

Cheers,
Bob

#37 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

First FAntasitc work one of the best RW routes for the US I have seen yet, beautiful detail, great diversity and wonderful content. I am very eager to see this, I run all the train sims including many versions of RW so will enjoy seeing this in action.

ok, now to your question. The way to unite a american town is to add some varied use structures, if you have a small town, it needs various services, some of which it is easy to forget or ignore. An old ice house for instance, easy to make with a quick texture for any form of larger industrial structure. A brick yard, a lumber yard or three, a couple freight yards or depots, an old coal yard, an odd warehouse or three usually in one part of town, due to zoning but also barns and old livery stables linger. Some farm houses here and there, that were swallowed up by the town, or just detached from main areas.... a house and a couple of sheds add great realizsm to an area.

does your town have sidewalks? they can unite an area well, even small towns occasionally have sidewalks here and there, and street lighting is important too for unifying a town feel. fencing too, in the US it is board fences, picket fences, some hedges but not as many as in Europe tho in your regoin of this route, they did have hedges... rows of trees along roads, that is another way to unify.

gas stations is another unifyer, and always found, often rural style in this case, a few pumps and a store, or feed store. Surely there are farms in the area.

A hospital or school can help too, there are some good schools even a small college, Alma College is a possiblty Wayne is making a RW version and he may have advice on similar structures ..there are quite a few buildings out for RW now if you hunt and look.

Row houses somtimes can help but they are not as common in the US as in Europe. when you make a neighborhood remember alleys behind help and were used, as were fencing, between houses, good fences make good neighbors my father's friend Robert Frost always used to say....

also in housing areas, remember front walks and front gates, mail boxes and walk ways. garages, sheds out back, even a few added will break up uniformity of a neighborhood and give it immediate character. The eye can be tricked by using a few key items that grab attention and then keep the viewer interested. That red fire truck is a great example.

another possiblity is your river, you could add a few docks pleasure boats, a sail boat or two, one or two on the river, and maybe even a mill along the river, or two, there were tons of them in that area historically i think.

keep up the GREAT work and really i am very very impressed. PM me with specific questions, i have studied american community development at all levels in my work and may have some ideas if you give me specifics or an overview of the town.

a couple more things to possibly add for vareity....used car lots, small shopping areas with a few stores and a restaruant...restaruants need parking lots and that adds realism too. Schools, churches..esp churches for that area... and shacks and sheds...and i was thinking houses and their yards..americans have always loved yards. with gardens, or seats, or swings, or whatever...

cheers and keep it up
Chris

your work is superb.

#38 User is offline   bobbie 

• Fireman

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

Hi everyone,

It has been a while, I had a lot on my mind past half year, but the route is still being worked on. Richard Scott had made some Wonderfull Pullman carriages! I also lost a lot of work due to stupidity. I was lucky to have backups, but i still lost about 50 hours of work due to it...

Attached File  Rss99.jpg (3.45MB)
Number of downloads: 24
Let's take a loot at the new Pullman Cars first, at the Millcreeck B&M terminal. To encounter a pulled train here is rare these day's, since most trains are operated with a railcar. There where 2 more tracks at the terminal. One was for the branch to Woodland. The branch from Millcreek to Woodland opened in 1904 and was closed for passenger service in 1928. The NH&RE (New Holland & Riverland Electric) opened their own line to woodland in 1924, which had a more frequent and faster service than the B&M branch had. When the NH&ER was bought over by the New Holland Goverment in 1954, all the freight services where cheased and the B&M took over everything. By doing so, they didn't need the old branchline anymore to get to Woodland and it got demolished. These day's there is still a bike trail to be found on the old route. At the time that this picture was taken, there was just 1 train a day in every direction on the Mainline, mostly railcars. Rarely a E7 with 2 to 4 cars. The NHT interurban has a special service to the B&M terminal. It only rides on the time of the B&M trains. Ther service isn't too populair with the people, so a one car train is more than enough for the service.

Attached File  Rss100.jpg (3.66MB)
Number of downloads: 24
Right here we see a local freight train from Woodland on it's way to New Holland. A last little glimp at the river before it's diving into the suburbs of NH. The B&M doesn't use Electrics anymore for the freight operations. It used electric locomotives untill 1956, when they decided that Diesel was cheaper. The old NH&ER equipment was already quiet aged and had a lot of defects.

I hope to get the first beta done soon. oh... and i need to warn everyone that the screenshots are very big (in seize)!but never the less, Enjoy! (next time they will be full HD again)

Cheers,
Bob

#39 User is offline   bobbie 

• Fireman

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

Hi all,

It feels great to have enough time to work on this route again!

I wasn't happy with the situation in Mapleton. It was a mess! So i deleted all the tracks and rebuilded from scratch. The Mapleton Station now has 2 main tracks with Platforms and 1 siding for Freight trains. I also worked on New Holland, finishing up the Scenery there. (still have a lot of "green" spaces over there...)

Attached File  Rss101.jpg (1.02MB)
A 3 car Express train riding trough the outskirts of New Holland, passing by some local industries.

Attached File  Rss106.jpg (1017.1K)
Number of downloads: 26
2 car train from New Holland is slowing down to stop at the Mapleton Station.

Attached File  Rss105.jpg (817.71K)
A rare sight, a 4 car train to New Holland. Usualy trains are 2 or 3 cars long but sometimes they add an extra car during rush hours.

Attached File  Rss104.jpg (981.19K)
Number of downloads: 15
The B&M 112 has to wait on the siding untill the NHT car has passed. The NHT car is a local train to Millcreeck. The local trains are usualy 1 car long, and 2 cars during rush hour.

Attached File  Rss107.jpg (2.05MB)
Another 3 car Express train going to the Woodland terminal. the new stationbuilding of Mapleton is still W.I.P, so untill it's finished, it has a freight building to keep everyone warm and happy.

Attached File  Rss102.jpg (667.17K)
This is a little bit Early, lot may still change from this picture, but this is the Woodland Terminal. Both the B&M and NHT are using it. The buildings are temporary, untill new ones are made. Woodland is the 2nd biggest Town in the route, after New Holland.

Cheers,
Bob

#40 User is offline   bobbie 

• Fireman

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:14 PM

Hi everyone,

There is a new update on this route again. Work is slow due to other things in life and the many changes that i make because of stuff that i don't like.

Let's start with New Holland, I've changed it completely (again...) trackwise.

Attached File  Rss109.jpg (1.08MB)
Number of downloads: 13
Here you see a 3 car Express train at the 53rd street station. This station is the end station of all the Express trains, Local trains that service the Easton Branch go down further to the South End staiton. Express trains stop here and leave empty, to go to little yard where the crew can take a break after a long ride.

Attached File  Rss108.jpg (1009K)
A 4 car long Express train departing from the station, on it's way to Woodland. The 53rd Street station is on a walking distance from downtown New Holland. The line will go back into the Suburbs of the City after this station.

Attached File  Rss110.jpg (1.42MB)
Number of downloads: 22
This last screenshot was taken on the Bakerfield branch, This is a route with his own history and didn't belong with the NHe&Rr untill 1938, when the B&Her (Bakerfield & Hoods electric railroad) got in trouble. The B&Her opend their short railway line from Hoods to Bakerfield in 1898. Instead of using overhead wires, they decided to go for 3rd rail as power source. The B&Her got in trouble when the new road between Bakerfield and Hoods was constructed in 1935. Without any real freight operations on the line, the railways was doomed. They made a deal with the B&M in 1936. Passenger operation was shut down and a connection with the (then South Hoods Station) NHe&Rr made. The NHe&Rr purchased the first 10 Pullman car's in 1937 and in early 1939, they would run the first express service between Bakerfield and New Holland. The Pullmans where the first car's of the NHe&Rr to have a dual power system. There was a small increase of passengers on the line with the new faster express trains to New Holland.

When the NHe&Rr went bankrupt in 1954 and the New Holland Goverment and some local investors took it over (for almost nothing) from the B&M. The express trains to Bakerfield were discontinued. Instead, a local train from Millcreek would go run up to Bakerfield twice a day. All the express trains would go to Woodland from then. Nowaday's, the Bakerfield branch attract's a lot of tourists in the summer. The line travels trough a rural area. And beinga 3rd rail Interurban line in the late 60's makes you quiet unique.

Cheers,
Bob

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users