• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Animation not quite right Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

All is well guys. Got it fixed. Odd enough, the wheels spin backwards in Sview. It animates correctly in ORTS. Here's the hierarchy.

That Shay5's a rebel to the end. Eh Rick!

Allen

#22 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

Me?? Na, just a southerner from VA. You,,,,, No comment. :rotfl: You fill in the blank.

#23 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

As I stated earlier but was rebuked, you don't need bogies on this model.

Rebuker debunked? If it works, it works. My good faith comments were based on my prior MSTS experience with four wheel vehicles, including a similar MoWs, wagons and locomotive, that would not track correctly until a bogie part was added.

Cheers Bazza :give_rose:

#24 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

In theory you can have up to 9 bogis, but I'm not entirely sure what'll happen.

A darned long centipede, James.

Following the logic of MSTS, bogie9 would have wheelsets 91, 92, 93?
The second glass of red wine has oiled the brain cogs. Hmmm, you've given me a 'bright idea' how to make use of extra bogies.......:give_rose: .

Cheers Bazza

#25 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

Shay 5, on 06 September 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

I don't see any of my models running in MSTS anymore. Just too hard and too poly intensive. Well, my speeder and your speeder prove to the rebuker that it indeed DOES work. ;) Still, I wonder what setting up a bogie would do.

A bogie is for a wheelset or frame that houses your wheels as a unit. The bogie is what swivels or rotates to follow a curve in the tracks and keeps your wheels aligned properly as a complete unit or a truck, as we Americans call them.
Just like the trucks on a boxcar.. It's the bogie that swivels around the curves.

Now, technically, you could add a bogie to the front end so it would 'steer'.
I considered it on my RGS1 but decided against it. It would be far too complicated to add as for the way I built my model.
I would like just the wheels to steer and not a whole bogie swiveling.

:give_rose:

#26 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

Ah, gotcha. Anyway, it works in ORTS so That's all I care about. MSTS is just too difficult to model with.

#27 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:53 AM

In the real world, the leading bogie/wheels help guide the locomotive through curves and switches, the main drivers carry the weight and the trailing bogie/wheels support the rear end, ie weight of the boiler/firebox and cab.

Cheers Bazza

#28 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

B & O GUY, on 06 September 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

I found out today that you can't use 32 key frame animations and 16 key frames together in the same model although it could be used for some special effects modeling. The 16 framed parts stop at mid cycle of the 32 framed part's.

Sure you can. But how to go about doing it depends on the effect you want to end up with.

If you want those 16 keyframes in the same space as the 32, then skip a frame between keyframes for the part that needs 16. While the 32-keyframe part does something for each of the first 32 frames, the 16-keyframe part only has keyframes every other frame. The game fills in the gaps between keyframes just fine.

Alternately, you can simply copy the original 16 keyframes as is and repeat them, so that while the 32-keyframe part does its thing in 32 frames, the 16-keyframe part does its thing twice in 32-frames.

Hopefully that makes sense?

#29 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

Sure you can. But how to go about doing it depends on the effect you want to end up with.

If you want those 16 keyframes in the same space as the 32, then skip a frame between keyframes for the part that needs 16. While the 32-keyframe part does something for each of the first 32 frames, the 16-keyframe part only has keyframes every other frame. The game fills in the gaps between keyframes just fine.

Alternately, you can simply copy the original 16 keyframes as is and repeat them, so that while the 32-keyframe part does its thing in 32 frames, the 16-keyframe part does its thing twice in 32-frames.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Jovet

Although I was just looking for a 2 to 1 drive ratio for a geared steam locomotive, I discovered that just as you said. That mis-cue later turned into a "Wahoo!" later on as I realised that opened up a whole new world of fun possibilities for me. But for this project, The Capt. Bazza provided the clue I was seeking. I haven't uncorked any practical applications yet but I'll be thinking about this for a while.

Allen

#30 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

There is a complex relationship between animation (ie, number of frames) and the playback rate in the S (shape file) and some numbers in the ENG file.

The standard animation rotation cycle through 360 degrees in MSTS is 0 ~ 16 frames, with 0 being the neutral keyframe. Therefore, the basic animation sequence for a steam locomotive is a total of 17 frames, inclusive of the 0 keyframe. Between 1 ~ 16 each frame is advanced through 22.5 degrees, ending at 360 or back at frame 0, the keyframe.

In the early years, some modelers erroneously used 0 ~ 8 frames, a misunderstanding caused by incorrect default steamers and lack of animation documentation. (I just confirmed this by comparing my Mogul with the Scotsman in the same scene. The Scotsman's rotation was twice that of the Mogul - animated 0 ~ 16 frames.)

In the Engine section of the .ENG file, there is the line:
WheelRadius ( 0.47m )
The animation speed can be altered by making that figure of 0.47m greater, or smaller.
(WheelRadius refers to driverset wheels.)

In the Animation section of the shape file .S (the last section) there is the line:
animation ( 16 30
The figure 16 refers (I believe) to the number of 'active' frames, seemingly discounting the neutral 0 keyframe.
The figure 30 refers to the FPS playback rate for the animation sequence in total.

In theory, without adjusting the playback rate figure, a wheel of 0.47m will rotate through 360 degrees and in doing so travel a distance equal to the circumference of the wheel whether going forward or in reverse.

If a wheelset that has been rotated over 0 ~ 16 frames appears to 'skid' on the track then that is a warning that something is amiss. (Skid checking is best viewed at a POV at 90 degrees to the wheelset.)

A quickfix is 1.)
Using a unicode text editor, adjust the WheelRadius figure by a small amount, decreasing it to speed up and increasing it to slow. That tweak might fix the skidding.

Another quickfix is 2.)
In an uncompressed shape file, using a unicode text editor, adjust the playback figure thus; a smaller figure speeds up and a larger figure slows the animation sequence.

It is best to try one, or other of the methods at a time.

Cheers Bazza

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users