• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Animation not quite right Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Nope, that shouldn't work, Jeff. Change it out to something more like mine. You don't need bogies on that thing.
If you do want bogies, you'll need two. One for each wheelset. A front and a rear.

Uh! Not so Rick.

You can run a single "Bogie" in MSTS and it should also work in Open Rails. And I'm talking about just the Bogie with sound and cabview. I've done it. The Bogie needs "Wheels11" and "Wheels12 and possibly "Wheels13" if it's a three axle truck. All wheel sets must be parented to "Bogie1" and the Bogie parented to a single poly called "Main". In your case it would be whatever is the "Main" object.

Wheels11 thru Wheels13" must be parented to "Bogie1". Wheels21 thru Wheels23" must be parented to "Bogie2", Wheels11 thru Wheels13 and Wheels21 thru Wheels23 are automatically animated by MSTS. Note; "Wheels31" thru "Wheels33" will not roll or animate in MSTS but do work in Open Rails. IE; ATSF 2926 tender with 4 axle trucks and 8 axles per tender.

"Wheels1" thru "Wheels5" have to be animated by the builder either thru individual key frame animation or by pre-written unicode "rot" script. They can be animated on the X, Y or Z axis. "Wheels1" thru "Wheels5" and possibly up to "Wheels9 can be used for shafts, fans, crankshafts and whatever other rotating part you can think of as well as locomotive drivers.

"Rods1" thru "Rod9" can use both rotation and motion animations. You can use 8 or 16 frame animation. I prefer the 16 frames as it takes the cogging action out of the movement's.

I've never experimented with the "Wiper", "Mirror" or "Pantograph" parts so I don't know what their limitations are.

Respectfully.
Allen

#12 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostB & O GUY, on 05 September 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

Uh! Not so Rick.

You can run a single "Bogie" in MSTS and it should also work in Open Rails. And I'm talking about just the Bogie with sound and cabview. I've done it. The Bogie needs "Wheels11" and "Wheels12 and possibly "Wheels13" if it's a three axle truck. All wheel sets must be parented to "Bogie1" and the Bogie parented to a single poly called "Main". In your case it would be whatever is the "Main" object.

Wheels11 thru Wheels13" must be parented to "Bogie1". Wheels21 thru Wheels23" must be parented to "Bogie2", Wheels11 thru Wheels13 and Wheels21 thru Wheels23 are automatically animated by MSTS. Note; "Wheels31" thru "Wheels33" will not roll or animate in MSTS but do work in Open Rails. IE; ATSF 2926 tender with 4 axle trucks and 8 axles per tender.

"Wheels1" thru "Wheels5" have to be animated by the builder either thru individual key frame animation or by pre-written unicode "rot" script. They can be animated on the X, Y or Z axis. "Wheels1" thru "Wheels5" and possibly up to "Wheels9 can be used for shafts, fans, crankshafts and whatever other rotating part you can think of as well as locomotive drivers.

"Rods1" thru "Rod9" can use both rotation and motion animations. You can use 8 or 16 frame animation. I prefer the 16 frames as it takes the cogging action out of the movement's.

I've never experimented with the "Wiper", "Mirror" or "Pantograph" parts so I don't know what their limitations are.

I forgot to add. "Wheels" by itself won't animate automatically. Maybe not at all. Jeff! You should have "Wheels11" and "Wheels12" instead of "Wheels" and "Wheels1".

Respectfully.
Allen

#13 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

See my post #6, he has wheels instead of wheels1 and wheels2 if animated, or alternatively wheels11 and wheels12 which are auto animated. The fake bogie makes sure the vehicle tracks correct through curves and switches. Setup as per my comments.

Cheers Bazza

#14 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

As Allen says, there is more flexibility in OR, thankfully.

According to what James said, it may be possible to have more than two bogies? One class of NZR DE loco has three powered bogies.

I suppose, logically, bogie3 wheelsets would be wheels31, wheels32 and wheels33. :lol:

Cheers Bazza

#15 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 05 September 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

As Allen says, there is more flexibility in OR, thankfully.

According to what James said, it may be possible to have more than two bogies? One class of NZR DE loco has three powered bogies.

I suppose, logically, bogie3 wheelsets would be wheels31, wheels32 and wheels33. :rotfl:

In theory you can have up to 9 bogis, but I'm not entirely sure what'll happen. :derisive:

#16 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

Guy's

I found out today that you can't use 32 key frame animations and 16 key frames together in the same model although it could be used for some special effects modeling. The 16 framed parts stop at mid cycle of the 32 framed part's. There goes that idea. :rotfl: It's fun to play and see what you can get away with.

Allen

#17 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

How does one convert an "S" or shape file to text and then back to code again. I've looked in ConText and can find no answer. And it has way to many choices for a dummy.

I need help with this one.

Thanks

Allen

#18 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

All is well guys. Got it fixed. Odd enough, the wheels spin backwards in Sview. It animates correctly in ORTS. Here's the hierarchy.
Attached Image: Capture s.JPG

#19 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

There ya go. Keep it simple as I did on my RGS1.
As I stated earlier but was rebuked, you don't need bogies on this model. :good:

Wheels20 is a new one on me. I don't think it'll run in MSTS but, if you change it to wheels11, it should work just fine.
Basically, wheels11, 12 and 13 are set up for your front wheelset/wheels.
While wheels21,22 and 23 are for your rear wheelset/wheels.
At least that's how MSTS likes it.

Oh, forgot to add that my wheels roll backwards too, but not in the sim. :derisive:

:rotfl:

#20 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

I don't see any of my models running in MSTS anymore. Just too hard and too poly intensive. Well, my speeder and your speeder prove to the rebuker that it indeed DOES work. :rotfl: Still, I wonder what setting up a bogie would do.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users