• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just discovered No textures required Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

Another shot of the Shay with textures nearing completion. Was a good day with the textures and getting the lawnmower fixed. Then I got bit by the neighbors dog. Was trying to break up a fight and I lost. So was mostly a good day until the end. :clapping:

Attached Image: Shay-working.jpg

Allen

#22 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

But once in a while I need to do something else to keep me from going crazy. Looking at one model day after day is a bit much.

Amen, to that, brother.

Then I got bit by the neighbors dog. Was trying to break up a fight and I lost.

Been there, been bit, by my mutt, breaking up a fight. He went home very fast, the toe of my boot was inches from his backside all the way. Amazing how about 1 or 2 seconds after the event you suddenly realise it wasn't such a good idea to intervene.

The lokey's black looks great, also the munted paintwork on the pilot, etc.

Cheers Bazza

#23 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:11 AM

The lokey's black looks great, also the munted paintwork on the pilot, etc.

Thanks Barry. I'm working at shading down the cab and tank's to a lighter gray to match the boiler and provide a more weathered look. Don't want it to be too dirty though.

I like my my Jack's but sometimes they do things that defy description. It's like having a bunch of unruly children. They get into scraps with other dogs as well as themselves on a fairly regular basis. I used to haul them off to the vet to be sewed up, but now unless it's a serious wound I've found they heal by themselves just fine. Luckily none have nicked any arteries yet.

Allen

#24 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

I like my my Jack's

Strange but true for a dog of their size, they have British bull terrier in their bloodline.

Cheers Bazza

#25 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

Capt.

You got the bull part right. Bull headed. Interesting. I didn't know that. I knew about the Weiner and terrier parts.

Shay 15 now has a helper to push those loads of logs and lumber. I got interested in moving animated parts and decided to try it. The only parts that need be edited are the motions. Rotational parts updated on their own. This is the result. A Shay 5 on the rear.

Now where did I hear that name before?

Attached Image: Shay-helper.jpg

Allen

#26 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:38 AM

View PostB & O GUY, on 06 May 2011 - 11:52 AM, said:

Chris
I can't tell you what a great exhilaration it is to speculate how a model is going to work and to actually see it work flawlessly the first time. Many of the animations I had the feeling would never have worked in MSTS. This particular model has 24 key frame animations plus the wheels and trucks. The naming conventions for the rods and wheels was a pure guess and I had no idea whether they would work or not. Even the inter connected shafts follow the main shafts perfectly. Dumb luck the first time.
What a rush this day has been!
Allen

Allen,
As stated in the Camelback thread, OR animates all parts except some specifically reservered. We are working on defining standards for Running Gear parts that would be automatically animated. Right now the part definition includes Wheels and Rods. It would be easy to add part names like GEARS or other parts at this time.

So my question is: what PART names did you use for the Shay for running gear animations? Would you be willing to use some standard part names so OR can differentiate between running gear animations and other triggered animations like BELL or REVERSER?

Thanks

#27 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:17 AM

Chris

I used Wheels1 thru 5 for the linear animations and Rod1 thru 9 with derivatives such as 7.1, 7.2 for the lateral rotational-motion animations. I wasn't able to get the drive shafts to articulate with both the trucks and the engine although i just thought of a way I might be able to do this with dummy trucks between the engine and main trucks and maybe an invisio-locomotive between the "A and B" sections of the locomotives. In any case I'm very happy with what has been achieved so far.

And! As you well know. I'm willing to try anything new. So yes! Bring it on. Trip my trigger with new triggers. :oldstry:

Allen

#28 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:30 AM

Chris

Another thing that came to mind would be animation's for shafts. Such as linear, lateral and vertical shaft's. Maybe ShaftV, ShaftLI and ShaftLA with 8 or 16 point key frames.

Just a thought. Gears could be included with those along with speed of 1 thru 10.

Make sense?

Allen

#29 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

Chris

This Shay is using 4 bogies with the intermediate drive shafts attaches to Bogies 2 and 3. They now articulate properly and follow the bogies around sharp corners while still staying centered on the crankshaft universals. Bogies 2 and 3 are single polygons hidden in the floor of the locomotive although they could be anywhere as the are made Transnorm with an alpha texture. The poly bogies are centered on the driveshaft centers "Z" axis and center of the frames "X" axis as are Bogies 1 and 4.

Attached Image: Shay-5.jpg

Thought you might be interested.

Allen

#30 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

Allen,
Good to know that you can use more than 2 bogies per model and everything works as expected!

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users