Open Rails 1.5 is coming soon Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   A D REID 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Post icon  Posted 04 September 2022 - 06:05 PM

A D REID, on 18 August 2022 - 10:23 AM, said:

ORTS 1.5 -- DIFFERENT BEHAVIOR

KC-A.act (newyearsdayv1-02.zip) for BNSF Scenic Sub runs successfully in earlier versions of Open Rails (such as 1.4). This activity has a LOT of AI traffic, coordinated with wait points and double reverse points, but the AI trains behave differently in Open Rails 1.5, resulting in a "traffic Jam" that makes it impossible to complete the activity.

Hi Chris,

I have some additional information regarding the original issue (different AI behavior). I have been unable to run this activity to completion -- I have tried resuming from different save games, and even starting the activity from the beginning, and always ended up with a traffic jam. At least that has been the situation until today, when I was loading from various files, to provide the information you requested, and I loaded from this save file: Attached File  NYD-3.zip (1MB)
Number of downloads: 120

This leads to a traffic jam before the player train reaches Mukilteo (I have taken a save at that point -- see Attached File  NYD-4.zip (916.54K)
Number of downloads: 126).

When I repeat this process, an interesting thing happens if I press Ctrl-M (to get manual control of signals and switches) BEFORE pressing Esc to resume the activity. I can watch the track monitor (F4) as I follow the AI train, and I can see it disappear at the end of its path. I can then press Ctrl-M to get back in AUTO made, and there is no traffic jam -- I can drive my train all the way to Mukilteo, and drop off the hoppers at Mukilteo Pier 1. From there, I should be able to complete the remainder of the activity. I have taken a save at this point also (see Attached File  NYD-5.zip (483.31K)
Number of downloads: 125).

Regards,
Dan

#62 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 04 September 2022 - 06:13 PM

Did You take in account, that some of BNSF scenic sub activities require, that an option about auto processing passing paths (Iirc) should be checked in options menu of ORTS?
This allows to avoid traffic jams.

#63 User is offline   A D REID 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Post icon  Posted 05 September 2022 - 02:42 AM

Weter, on 04 September 2022 - 06:13 PM, said:

Did You take in account, that some of BNSF scenic sub activities require, that an option about auto processing passing paths (Iirc) should be checked in options menu of ORTS?
This allows to avoid traffic jams.

Thanks for the suggestion, but there must be some other issue, as I have been running this activity with "Location-linked passing path processing" checked on the "Simulation" tab.

Just now, I have tried deselecting that option, and resuming from the save file contained in NYD-3.zip -- but the outcome is the same.

Regards,
Dan

#64 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:06 AM

Hi Dan,

Might want to start the activity over again. I've changed settings in options part way through an activity and resumed from a save and nothing has changed. Started over again and the change is made. Don't delete your saves just in case the outcome isn't what you wanted, you can always go to options and change back, them use you last resume to continue your activity.

Paul :-)

#65 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 05 September 2022 - 04:19 AM

About reported flickerings that weren't present in OR 1.4: my experience says that this is due to 64-bit operation (that indeed was introduced between 1.4 and 1.5). I'm saying that because these flickerings occur also in ORNYMG, but only when the 32bit option is unchecked. If the option is checked, such flickerings disappear.
There might be further flickerings that were present also in OR 1.4 though.

#66 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2022 - 08:25 AM

A D REID, on 04 September 2022 - 04:24 PM, said:

Again, you are in luck-- I have that file also.

Many thanks for these two files. I have been able to reproduce the second crash (at 01:00:00 which is related to the signals). I can do this reliably which is what you need if you want to be sure that you've found and fixed the issue.

I expect I can devise a work-around but it would be better to understand first what is happening and whether it's bad data or a weakness in the code.

#67 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 05 September 2022 - 08:57 AM

Is there a work-around for the wheel slip problem? I get wheel slip just going into notch 1 when the engine is alone, on straight level track. I've gone back to v1.3 because switching above that doesn't work very well. Odd thing about the wheel slip, if you are running an activity in clear it's very prevalent, in the rain, hardly happens at all.

#68 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 05 September 2022 - 11:22 AM

>Just now, I have tried deselecting that option, and resuming from the save file contained in NYD-3.zip -- but the outcome is the same.

You cannot change settings once an activity has started.
The changes can not be guaranteed to work.

#69 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2022 - 12:34 PM

charland, on 05 September 2022 - 08:57 AM, said:

Is there a work-around for the wheel slip problem? I get wheel slip just going into notch 1 when the engine is alone, on straight level track. I've gone back to v1.3 because switching above that doesn't work very well. Odd thing about the wheel slip, if you are running an activity in clear it's very prevalent, in the rain, hardly happens at all.

Paul, Something incorrect in your setup -- never experience wheelslip in that situation. I'm experiencing wheelslip close to reality....the exception is in extreme wet rail conditions...I think some more work needs to be done for those specific situations.

#70 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 05 September 2022 - 02:41 PM

Hi Gerry,

My engine files are just ones that people have been using for the last two decades. Other then changing the name and size, I've done little else.

In v1.3, v1.4 and v1.5 I get wheels slip often. I can usually get it to stop just by rotating the camera about 30 degrees away from being parallel to the tracks. It's been this way for years and I have asked about it before. While running a couple of activities I'm creating for the FJGv2, I found with rain turned on I gen little to no wheel slip or wheel slip warning buzzer.

With a very noticeable difference I don't imagine it's my engine files. Remember, I'm doing a lot of switching, not just running a train from point A to B. I'm rotating the cameras every time I move into or out of a siding.

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users