• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails 1.5 is coming soon Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 21 August 2022 - 11:18 AM

Interesting observation that I was just able to reproduce.

I have OR set to show shadows on all objects and dynamic shadow. In the top photo, the one that shows all the rolling stock in Lap, the shadows show up. If you look at the shots where the cars are in emergency, there are no shadows showing.

I can now open an activity, go to view 2 and see if there are shadows or not, and know before I couple to the rolling stock in the yard whether the Triple Valve is going to be in Lap or Emergency.

Might be a hint.

Paul :-)

#42 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 21 August 2022 - 11:50 AM

Well, an old problem that still needs to be fixed, stopping on a switch and hitting "G" to throw the switch ahead of you but instead, the points under you on the switch you are sitting on throw. Also note that the Switch Monitor isn't seeing the switch ahead for some reason.

https://images2.imgbox.com/4a/39/dBq1fX9l_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/ae/24/ChfLfMK8_o.jpg

#43 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 21 August 2022 - 11:54 AM

Another new problem that wasn't a problem in v1.4, transfers flickering. I notice this just now while running up to take the switch shots. The first 10 to 25% of the transfers I've been using for years now flicker. It appear to be on the north side but no problem on the south side of the transfers. I did try to take a few screenshots but they appear normal. If someone downloads the route and takes a run up the hill past any of the farmland, it will be very obvious.

#44 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 21 August 2022 - 02:35 PM

Well, they wanted 1.5 beta tested so I too the day off from other things and beta tested, probably overstayed my welcome here though!

I've been having screenshots go missing in 1.5 so I though I would run a test. The first test opened with the proper shadows showing, I went up the hill taking a screen shot for every mile post I passed until MP 10 and stopped. Other then a bit of strange numbering on the shots in My Computer>Pictures>Open Rail (instead of being sequential, the go: 05-55-20, 05-56-20, 05-57-11, 05-58-00, 05-58-44, 05-59-30)... but they all showed up in the folder.

I started wondering if the missing screenshots had anything to do with the lack of shadows that some tests had. I deleted the 10 screenshots from the folder and started the activity over again, getting lucky the first time when there were no shadows. Got to MP 3, took the shot, then crashed to desktop with OR posting this error message:

https://images2.imgbox.com/77/b3/Yf0e7jtN_o.jpg

Oddly enough, three screenshots were in the OR folder including the one for MP 3 where the crash occurred.

#45 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 21 August 2022 - 02:50 PM

I like that wallpaper, sorry for ff top :)
[/quote]

I've had this for years, great shot even if you don't like snow!

Attached Image: ONR_Plow.jpg[quote name='Weter' timestamp='1661121812' post='288049']

#46 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 21 August 2022 - 03:39 PM

Did you want my trackside vegetation? I think I zipped it up a couple of years ago.

#47 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 August 2022 - 03:52 PM

Thanks very much: IIRC, I've got it this winter (but didn't use yet, as there is a lot of track work ahead)
Trees on photo above look a lot suitable for my purposes.
Yes, good autumn textures are appreciated, but what if we'll continue via PM for not to litter in version 1.5 discussion? ;)

#48 User is offline   A D REID 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 August 2022 - 02:22 AM

charland, on 21 August 2022 - 11:54 AM, said:

Another new problem that wasn't a problem in v1.4, transfers flickering. I notice this just now while running up to take the switch shots. The first 10 to 25% of the transfers I've been using for years now flicker. It appear to be on the north side but no problem on the south side of the transfers. I did try to take a few screenshots but they appear normal. If someone downloads the route and takes a run up the hill past any of the farmland, it will be very obvious.

While running an activity on the Corbin-Knoxville route (kdsub_wrap.zip) I noticed a sand-coloured strip on each side of the track that flickers. I didn'nt realize this might be v1.5 issue until I tried the actiivity with v1.4 (the was no flickering with the previous version).

Regards,
Dan Reid

P.S. While running that activity, I experienced at least six random (non-repeatable) crashes.

Is anyone else experiencing frequent or undeserved crashes?

#49 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 August 2022 - 06:04 AM

Sometime after the v1.4 release a change was made in the testing version that started the displays in my 3D cab views to start flickering / Z fighting. I have found that this occurs where there are 2 planes of geometry that are within 2mm of each other with their normals oriented in the same direction.

I have a suspicion but no evidence that this started around the time a change was made to stop a z fighting issue with signal lights.

The issue persists in v1.5. I am not expecting this to be fixed as I have work arounds. I bring this to the attention of readers of this thread as this may also explain the flickering transfer issue that Paul and Dan are reporting.

Cheers,

Marek.

#50 User is offline   A D REID 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 August 2022 - 07:31 AM

Marci, on 21 August 2022 - 04:02 AM, said:

Hello.
Together with several others, we started a multiplayer session on the test version. Basically, it's relatively good, compared to the previous stable OR version. On the other hand, the trains of other players I have seen move in jerks, in fact they lag. And other players in the session experienced the same thing. As a result, it cannot be completely ruled out that this increases the risk of freezing or the server falling apart.
Sincerely,
Marci

While running an activity on the Long Island Rail Road (lirr_install.zip), I noticed jerky motion, so I changed the video options (removing the checkmark from Vertical sync), and this reduced the stuttering to a level that was barely noticeable (FPS 55).

Regards,
Dan Reid

P.S. If I remove the checkmark from Logging on the startup screen, frame rates increase significantly (FPS 90) and there is absolutely no stuttering (but Open Rails does not write to that "important" file that's needed for investigating problems).

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users