• Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:15 PM

You guys really overthink this at times, don't 'cha? :lol2:

#142 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:53 PM

Well, when they gave me a choice for the comprehensive exam track or the thesis track, I chose the latter...

#143 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:41 PM

at the days, brakeshoe were made of wood, long-long ago...

#144 User is offline   AuzGnosis 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 19 April 2021 - 04:15 AM

G'day from Auz.

While I have been asking question & commenting here for a year or more now my engagement has been primarily focused upon modelling some 1890's Baldwin exports to the NSWGR. Hoping to add 3d cab controls along with a compound-locomotive running on Great Zig-Zag layout from Coals-to-Newcastle by Peter Newell. My first big hitch was trying to running Open Railways [OR] on a Windows10 computer that I inherited from my son via my grandson (who had be using for his game-machine). There was no problems installing OR on this box, but my word-processor that I installed on the same box definitely would not behave as expected. At which I discovered that the keyboard I got with the computer was definitely not running a USA standard keyboard but a European standard with very non-English characters mapped across the keys. Found a Microsoft USA keyboard solved most of my problem besides not having any copy or experience with MSTS before starting.

So most of the year I have just been enjoying watching Peter's collection of different consists running over the Great Zig-Zag. Not too concerned with learning the keyboard short cuts to do any more complicated driving than the 2D cab provides with just a mouse. Today opened a whole can of worms.

Searching Elvas Tower for help on the term Keyboard I found;
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34155-or-not-performing-on-windows-10/

While an accurate title for my initial predicament that was not my problem when I finished my debugging.

These next two highlighted the reason as to why I think this is important especially if you want to get Open Rails beyond an English user-base.
The next find displays exactly what tripped me up, thence my concerns.http://www.elvastowe...-on-line-manual & page 4 of the same thread

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34292-cab-view-keys-1-and-alt1/ Was the clincher for it was only when I saw
"Debug Precipitation Increase Alt + = Alt+0x0D" in the Open Rails Keyboard text file (saved to my desktop) did it twig the short-cut was not suppose to be read as a sequence of the "Alt" with a white-space delimiter implying a separate character "+" followed by another separate character "=", because the Alt+ was only followed by a single hexadecimal character.

So despite IBM & Microsoft once long ago recommending short-cuts be so written the practice of attaching the plus sign to the first keystroke as in the program-coding "Alt+" is a lot easier for dyslexics (such as me to unambiguously comprehend) as well as being a lot easier when you come to trying doing a machine translation of the OR Manual.

Many thanks, W'Shawn Gray

#145 User is offline   Hannes44 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:13 PM

Editors for signal-files!

#146 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:06 AM

View PostHannes44, on 21 April 2021 - 11:13 PM, said:

Editors for signal-files!

The SigMex graphical signaling programmer installer can be downloaded from this link. Unfortunately, the new OR functions are not known, they have to be traditionally typed in "Notepad".
I haven't tried Win 10, it works great down there.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Sincerely, Laci59

#147 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 25 April 2021 - 04:06 PM

Regardless of what is technically correct, both "Engine" and "friction bearing" are in common use on the railroad. Frankly, alongside a number of examples of verbiage and grammar not otherwise in circulation account railroaders not getting out too much beyond their own circles. (Did you see, I slipped in an example? Go pound sand.
Christopher

#148 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:18 AM

Another visual effect I'd like to see is an automated catenary/third rail spark effect for electric locos and EMU's.

Even though some OR/MSTS electric locos and EMU's have catenary spark effects encoded in their lighting sections, they're not aware of things like train speed, joints and junctions in the catenary, etc. In many cases the spark effect plays even when the train is at a standstill!

My proposal for a catenary spark effect varies the flash rate with train speed, and plays automatically when the train traverses junctions, switches, crossovers, etc--kind of like the automatic track switch sound FX.

Do you catch my drift?

#149 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 26 June 2021 - 01:24 AM

i wish for speed limits per train type.

in order to have full speed limit regulations implemented for my region, I would need to set different speed limits in my route according to the following differences:

-by type of traction:
--train (loco+coaches)
--trainset
-by brake type:
--vacuum braked
-- other brakes
-by traction energy:
--electric powered
--other power type

#150 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 01 July 2021 - 09:10 AM

View PostAldarion, on 26 June 2021 - 01:24 AM, said:

i wish for speed limits per train type.

in order to have full speed limit regulations implemented for my region, I would need to set different speed limits in my route according to the following differences:

-by type of traction:
--train (loco+coaches)
--trainset
-by brake type:
--vacuum braked
-- other brakes
-by traction energy:
--electric powered
--other power type

I kinda agree with you. Similarly, for UK railway freight trains, there should be a speed limit automatically determined by the ratio of fitted, piped and unfitted wagons. It would also change whenever new wagons are coupled or existing wagons are uncoupled.

Here's an example--see "Freight Train Speeds"--second topic from the top.

...Yes, I know you can do this by editing the consist file, but it doesn't reflect coupling and uncoupling like I just described.

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users