OR not performing on Windows 10 Strange symptoms Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:59 AM

Hi,
I've been given an old 4GB 32bit Windows 10 PC which means I can experiment without mucking up my everyday systems. Inevitably I installed Open Rails on it and am now getting some very strange behaviour which I can't explain.

The graphics comes up fine, either full-screen or in a window, but it's not responding to the keyboard or mouse, or not often. If I press Escape a lot then OR will move beyond the initial menu and if I press the 2 key a lot, then the camera will change the view. It's as though most of the mouse and keyboard events are being consumed, but there's nothing else running.

I can always add Visual Studio and try to monitor the code, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts about what might cause this and where to look for a problem.
The CPU is running about 50% to support the Open Rails graphics.

#2 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 19 June 2020 - 11:10 AM

cjakeman, on 19 June 2020 - 09:59 AM, said:

Hi,
I've been given an old 4GB 32bit Windows 10 PC which means I can experiment without mucking up my everyday systems. Inevitably I installed Open Rails on it and am now getting some very strange behaviour which I can't explain.

The graphics comes up fine, either full-screen or in a window, but it's not responding to the keyboard or mouse, or not often. If I press Escape a lot then OR will move beyond the initial menu and if I press the 2 key a lot, then the camera will change the view. It's as though most of the mouse and keyboard events are being consumed, but there's nothing else running.

I can always add Visual Studio and try to monitor the code, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts about what might cause this and where to look for a problem.
The CPU is running about 50% to support the Open Rails graphics.

try F5 to see what the framerate is?
Input capture is running in sync with graphics update, and on low framerate (<10, probably even less) input events may get lost. I've seen the same on similarly low spec'ed machine.

#3 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:40 PM

First thing to do is use use the Windows key + x to get to a menu that includes Task Manager. Then take a look at the other processes running on the machine. It sounds like either your CPU or memory is bottlenecked, so OR appears unresponsive. Also check the AV software, if any. It may be scanning files as they are called by OR.

#4 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:08 AM

perpetualKid, on 19 June 2020 - 11:10 AM, said:

try F5 to see what the framerate is?
Input capture is running in sync with graphics update, and on low framerate (<10, probably even less) input events may get lost.

Good thought.

The framerate is 133 (and more with the Windows 10 virus checker disabled), so it's not that.

I guess I'll have to add a keystroke logger and find out what RunActivity.exe is seeing. Seems very odd behaviour to me.

#5 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:49 AM

Noticed that this PC only had 2 DLL files for DirectX 9 in C:\Windows\System32

d3dx9_31.dll
d3dx9_33.dll

I think XNA v3.1 prefers d3dx9_43.dll but not certain.

Used the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer to add all the other DLLs but made no difference.
Re-installed XNA v3.1 Redistributable but made no difference.

I'll probably stop there and just re-install Windows 10 to start from a known condition, rather than an arbitrary condition I just inherited.

I was investigating this because it seemed very strange to have graphics working but with broken input. I thought it might be useful to know how this arises and might be fixed (principally because I get support calls via www.openrails.org).

#6 User is offline   BB22210 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:OpenRail

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

Hi,
Is anybody have encountered issues with the 1903 windows10 update with ORTS 1.3 like blue screen ?
rgds
BB

#7 User is offline   sburr 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS-Open Rails

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:20 PM

BB22210, on 01 October 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

Hi,
Is anybody have encountered issues with the 1903 windows10 update with ORTS 1.3 like blue screen ?
rgds
BB

I might have. My computer went crazy with it and I almost had to do a reinstall. It would either not boot, give me an error message, or take up to 15 - 30 minutes t9oo get up and running. Finally got it stabilized, but it began to be apparent that Open Rails took a hit. Some of my routes did not show up in the menu, although they were installed. I even reinstalled a couple. but they failed to show up. Appears that a lot of rolling stock also shows up as missing in the menu, but it's still there. Finally, signals have been affected, now glowing like a floodlight from a distance and as you draw closer, it comes up as a giant yellow circle with a square in it. Tried reinstalling Open Rails, including deleting and starting over, but nothing changed. Also affected my Raildriver too. Anyway, I can't run steam from raildriver or manual operation.

This is a mess.

#8 User is offline   BB22210 

• Fireman

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:04 PM

Hello,
I do not encounter any more issue with ORTS, I would say it is the paradise with Monogame now.
Have a look of the route I am building :
http://chbozon.free.fr/MSTS/MA101.jpg

My issue now is the TSRE5 usage for signal and road positionning and move :(
I am looking for an TSRE5 tutorial

Rgds
BB22210

#9 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:15 PM

BB22210, on 20 November 2020 - 03:04 PM, said:

My issue now is the TSRE5 usage for signal and road positionning and move :(
I am looking for an TSRE5 tutorial

Rgds
BB22210

Please see this thread for TSRE tutorials and manuals ( post #5 ) >>> TSRE Tutorials

#10 User is offline   BB22210 

• Fireman

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:33 AM

Thanks I will check ;)
Rgds
Christophe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic