New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#921 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

View Postjovet, on 19 September 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

The MSTS Route Editor is a definite mixed-bag on the "intuitive" scale. But it has other problems that drag it down and make people rip their hair out.

It's so terrible on so many levels... an awful UI and uncontrolled situations leading to both aborts and route trashing. It could hardly be worse.

Repeating myself from many other posts -- Both KUJU's and Goku's route editors are completely analogous to TSM, Blender, Sketchup et all (see Joe, I didn't call it CAD :give_rose: ): you select from a library of meshes, you place them, move them, rotate them, snap the together, and delete them just as those other programs do the same basic thing. Our specific editors do not need to everything those other products do and for game data they need to do more. But fundamentally they're all congruent. So the functional list of requirements at that level in any one of those programs can and should be compared to any of the editing programs we use for both ideas in general and how the software affects work flow in particular.

To take one example, I go nuts using a modeling program that doesn't provide for keyboard mnemonics and data entry. I regard both as minimal requirements and on that score alone the KUJU RE sux. Anyone who has raised the pitch of roads or tracks to anything not divisible by 150 knows this. And the list doesn't end there. Can anyone explain why KUJU uses the Y or J keys for what they do? Or why the terrain undo keystroke involves the ~ key? It's all bizarre.

For another, in Sketchup I can grab a 360 protractor icon and use it for my cursor, select a point, start to turn it left or right and either click somewhere or type in a real number to convey a specific number of degrees... and the the software draw what it calls a construction line. I can then grab anything else and by moving my (now regular) cursor over to that construction line move the cursor along line (thereby moving the selected object too) and finish the movement by either clicking the mouse or typing a real number. So let's discuss that functionality to our world editors: Wouldn't you like to start with the direction of a road or track and move another object a fixed distance relative to that direction? 90d. 45d. 15.5m. The possibilities are endless. Is it a necessary function? No, you can spend a lot of time in the object rotator spreadsheet and accomplish the same thing. But stuff like that is found in those other programs and having something similar in our editors would be a big step forward in both what one can do and the ease in which it is accomplished.

And so when Goku showed up with his work product everyone, including myself were hopeful. What we got was a work still in development -- ok, set expectations properly and use very carefully -- and until very recently there was nothing to guide us thru the work flow (e.g., to get this done do a, b, c in these ways). If you just dabble with route building I suppose what we got was good enough and now at least there is some documentation, which does help. But if you've got years of work into a project you're going to be a bit more cautious -- remember all those folks who lost their work by adding interactive too soon? They didn't know it wasn't safe to do. Their ignorance killed their project. My take away is even with regular backups you need to be very careful about what you are doing as the snake you unknowingly introduce today may not bite for many months (been there, been severely bit).

Goku has a valid point when he says he needs more feedback. On our side -- the route builders side -- there is the problem of there not being too many of us anymore, of caution built up by years of being screwed over by KUJU's crappy software, and by not knowing the work process of the new software. And so it's rather easy to be thinking of that old TV commercial that went something like "Let Timmy (try) it. He'll (try) anything", which, if everyone has the same thought, doesn't help Goku at all.

There is the another blocking fact... not everybody is in a position to be dabbling with every feature. I'm not ready for most interactives and so I've neither the expertise or the inclination to try that stuff and provide feedback. As a suggestion, if GOKU's software will allow somebody to edit a section of track within a signal circuit, first in replacing track shapes and second by adding a turnout -- and everything still works -- that would be something a lot of people could try and if it all works be a huge gain because KUJU's software will crush your route when you try that.

Lemme finish by reiterating one point: On our side we users have a work flow. To change programs we have to learn a new workflow. Sometimes that's intuitively easy to do but not always. Stuff like toolbars and function buttons help of course but mixing in moves to the upper menu or undocumented keystrokes really gets in the way of a rapid change over. What I'm getting at here is a products success is not just the functions it has but in our ability to learn and use those functions more efficiently than whatever tool we were using before. Part of that is documentation, part of that is the UI. IOW, functions alone will not necessarily help us cross over from old to new.

IMO to whatever extent Goku (and contributed help) can address the learning and creating efficient workflow will be steps towards a wider acceptance of his product.

And I am trying to be constructive here.

#922 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:59 AM

Feedback. 4 items, some maybe my fault.
1) If you lay track close to a tile border (e,g 10m away) and your next track piece crosses into the next tile, sometimes you can not connect more track in the next tile. If you persist trying you will crash TSRE5. Thankfully the tdb is not damaged. Switch to MSTS RE and you can complete the track. This problem is repeatable.

2) The curved exits of turnouts are difficult to connect. Frequently they "stick" misaligned. Curved exits can only be connected incidentally, and not as the sole point of connection.
3)If you click in the sky with "place new" a distant object results which can`t be selected, and does not appear to be recorded in the tile where it is located. My fault, but I was in the habit of clicking the sky to deselect before saving in RE.
4) I don`t know how to extend a platform marker. There is a length data field but it isn`t selectable
Not many problems, for 30 route miles completed (much more track of course). TSRE5 is my route editor of choice, only using MSTS RE when forced. Absolutely stable, and no known tdb damage.

I`m not going to comment on Dave`s post above. Clearly he works at a much more advanced level than myself, and I frankly don`t understand many of his techniques!
(this isn`t sarcasm - I always enjoy reading Dave`s posts)

I would like to say that TSRE5 is the only route editor we are likely to get. It is being developed at an astonishing pace, and Goku is willing and responsive to the community.
It is superior to MSTS for the "ordinary" user, and the ease of setting up a new route makes it the editor of choice for the new user.
As there appear to be no compatibility issues, it is entirely feasible to start a route in TSRE5, complete track, and switch to MSTS for placing interactives.
It is not fair to expect functions such as mileposts and signalling when these items are not even complete in ORTS.
Rick

#923 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:20 AM

View Postrickloader, on 20 September 2016 - 12:59 AM, said:

1) If you lay track close to a tile border (e,g 10m away) and your next track piece crosses into the next tile, sometimes you can not connect more track in the next tile. If you persist trying you will crash TSRE5. Thankfully the tdb is not damaged. Switch to MSTS RE and you can complete the track. This problem is repeatable.

Old versions had this issue, but I fixed it. Now I can't duplicate this issue.
Can you provide me an example for testing?

2) The curved exits of turnouts are difficult to connect. Frequently they "stick" misaligned. Curved exits can only be connected incidentally, and not as the sole point of connection.

I don't understand this. Example?

4) I don`t know how to extend a platform marker. There is a length data field but it isn`t selectable

Select one of platform ends, press T and use keyboard to move it.

#924 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:59 AM

Some examples using Lyme Regis Branch as a test route (ukts1275) and ukfs track. TSRE5 v0.623
1) Connecting tracks across tile boundaries. Here 25m track sections are being extended to span a tile boundary ( in red). The tdb has been created (yellow line) and the blue pole shows the end of the track inside the adjacent tile. You can not add any further tracks to the blue pole. If you delete all these tracks and try again the same problem recurs. It is a bit feint but I trhink you can just see

Attached File(s)

#925 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:06 PM

2) Connecting the curved exits of turnouts. Here you see 2 attempts to connect the curved part of a turnout (points) On the left a ukfs7d13 turnout won`t connect to plain track. On the right an attempt is made to make a crossover by connecting 2 curved exits together. Pressing X will align the straight parts, but not the curved.
4) Thanks for the advice about extending platform markers. Seems obvious now!
Rick

Attached File(s)

#926 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

Ok, I managed to duplicate this rare issue (1). I will fix it in the future.
Here is solution you can use now:
When it will happen next time, delete last track and remember to move the camera to the tile where you want to place new track (second image). The bug occurs only sometimes in rare situations when track is placed from another tile (first image).

http://i.imgur.com/pYhmYZS.png

Edit: in sone cases moving the camera does not help. Better solution is to click on the track shape:

http://i.imgur.com/BzGSUxf.jpg

#927 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. I have deleted and relaid the track, and can not now repeat the problem - no matter where i put the camera. Anyway, you seem to know of the issue, so we can leave it there.
thanks again. Rick

#928 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:12 PM

The (1.) bug is fixed in new version :)

----

Second problem .. I know that in some cases complex shapes are difficult to connect, but if you use proper "frog" shapes between switches it becomes very easy:
http://i.imgur.com/mEsQbSa.png

#929 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for your reply. I don`t like your "proper frog shapes" solution because they would very likely have to be special custom shapes. In ukfs (which I only use) there are a few such shapes mostly having a "g" prefix. But they don`t cover many track layouts. In many cases you would have to lay your proper frog shape in advance to get your turnout in the correct location, delete the proper frog shape, and lay your final track up to the turnout.
This could be very tricky.
The second example of a crossover won`t work. The extra shape will increase the spacing so that the crossover won`t connect to double track. In this case you can add extra straight pieces to the double track so that you connect to the straight exits, and the curved parts just fall into the correct place. But this is still a work around.

Goku, when you are able, I think it would be very desirable to have the curved parts to snap or stick to tdb, on pressing x. The same as the straight exits.
Thanks, Rick

#930 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

Ok, try this version: http://koniec.org/ts...SRE5_v0.624.exe
It has fix for your 1 and 2 problems.

http://i.imgur.com/wsjy9iD.png

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »