• You cannot reply to this topic

Translations: Unclear strings & other problems Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

:good2: Peter, that will help me a lot :)

One thing in the Steam HUD is still unclear: The string "Adj:" has not been mentioned yet. Am I right to assume it´s something like "Adjustment"?

Also, there´s a problem with the indication for "Release" / "Rel" pressure in the HUD. In compound mode, the indication descriptor is localized from string "Rel", but in simple mode, from "Release" - the latter is, however, tied to the brake settings, and thus gives an incorrect translation.

However, I just saw some new items have also been added, but they seem to be hidden away in a special debugging HUD (as per the code), so, since I could mostly determine the meanings easily, I translated them right away.

below, I´ll post an updated list of strings that are not (yet) clear to me. Any help with any of these is appreciated.

Menu
  • Strings 5, 69 and 203 are duplicates ("Installation profile"; where are they used in the GUI and why are there so many duplicates?
  • Shouldn´t the sources of strings 56 and 57 be spelled "Open" and "Rails", instead of "open" and "rails", respectively?
  • String 133 contains a spelling error in the source "MSTS-Compatibile"

RunActivity (misc problems):
  • String 34 "Auto Switch": What does it change in multiplayer / dispatcher window?
  • String 47 "Penalty": What does it change in multiplayer / dispatcher window?
  • String 48 "Prefer Green" Where is it used and what does it change in multiplayer / dispatcher window?
  • String 91 "Stopped due to errors in route setting" is unclear - is it about an error in the Route (TDB, TRK or other file) or the path set?
  • String 146 "Adj:" - what does it mean in the steam loco info extended HUD?
  • String 409 contains a spelling error in the source "Will not ratate cab and land"
  • String 483 "GCs": What does it mean? (debug info extended HUD)
  • String 546 "Stability correction": What does it mean? (force info extended HUD)
  • String 547 "Axle out force": What does it mean? (force info extended HUD)
  • String 574 "wait": What does it mean (debug info extended HUD)

Contrib
(I know this is the lowest-priority item, but I add it for completeness. Please note, this contains only strings for the Trackviewer. See also here)
  • String 170 "Not to be used, template only": Used where and for what?
  • String 186 "Fix invalid node": Used where? Is an invalid node the same as a broken point in MSTS AE?
  • String 189 "Auto-fix broken nodes": Used where? Is a broken node the same as an invalid node? Is it the same as a broken point in the MSTS AE?
  • String 193, "Draw path until next broken point": Used where? Is a broken node the same as an invalid node? Is it the same as a broken point in the MSTS AE?
  • String 201 "Dangling siding node": What does this mean? Used where?
  • String 202 "Unknown": Used where and for what?
  • String 255 "Join and split": What exactly does this do? (Waiting point editing window)
  • Not exactly a problematic string, but more info might be useful in string 227 "Documentation is available" (in about trackviewer dialog) - where is it available?

Cheers, Markus

#12 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:05 PM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 25 April 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

Extended HUD, Debugging Info: "CPU", "GPU", string after "GPU"

I've sorted out the debug HUD in X3051 I believe, but a fair number of the strings will likely make no sense without checking where in the source they are used. Jumping to the source from Poedit will at least show you which line of the debug HUD they're from. Some of them may not need translating. Let me know if you're struggling with these.

View Postmarkus_GE, on 30 April 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

Menu
  • Strings 5, 69 and 203 are duplicates ("Installation profile"; where are they used in the GUI and why are there so many duplicates?

• Installation profile - label in options screen.
  • Installation profile: - label in main menu screen.
  • Installation Profile: - unused now so I've removed it. :good2:

• Shouldn´t the sources of strings 56 and 57 be spelled "Open" and "Rails", instead of "open" and "rails", respectively?

These are the text of the "logo" in the main menu, which we can't prevent appearing in the localisation files but I suspect shouldn't be translated at all.

• String 133 contains a spelling error in the source "MSTS-Compatibile"

Fixed.

• String 483 "GCs": What does it mean? (debug info extended HUD)

This is short for "garbage collections" and is a technical term for a specific bit of work done by the .NET runtime. May not need translating.

• String 574 "wait": What does it mean (debug info extended HUD)

This indicates how long a process spent waiting on other things to finish, rather than running itself. E.g. a process took 60% of the time to complete but 5% was spent waiting.

#13 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:46 PM

Hi Markus,

:good2: Peter, that will help me a lot :)

No problems, glad to help.

One thing in the Steam HUD is still unclear: The string "Adj:" has not been mentioned yet. Am I right to assume it´s something like "Adjustment"?

Your guess is correct in this instance.

Also, there´s a problem with the indication for "Release" / "Rel" pressure in the HUD. In compound mode, the indication descriptor is localized from string "Rel", but in simple mode, from "Release" - the latter is, however, tied to the brake settings, and thus gives an incorrect translation.

I would be happy to see this changed to "Rel" to be consistent across the different types of locomotives.

However, I just saw some new items have also been added, but they seem to be hidden away in a special debugging HUD (as per the code), so, since I could mostly determine the meanings easily, I translated them right away.

Yes these are only enabled by recompiling the code, and are not meant for "general usage".

I am happy to make some of the suggested changes now, but I would need guidance as to whether they can be done during the freeze period.

#14 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:28 AM

@ James: :good2: for the corrections :)

I translated all of the entries to the extent possible (in some cases, the German translation is equal to the English source string, only with different capitalization), or just pasted the source to the translation in cases of strings like "({0}x{1})".

However, two strings with spelling / grammar problems (highlighted bold red) in the source are still left (see list below).

RE the Open Rails label in the menu: That´s one such instance where the translation (of course) is the same as the source - except for spelling. My point in bringing this up is the capitalization: On the homepage, in the manual, and almost everywhere one looks for it, the project name is spelled "Open Rails" (capitalized), but in this instance it´s "open rails". It´s just something I noticed differs from what looks to me like common practice.

@ Peter: Now the steam info HUD translation is more or less complete :) (except for the "Release" / "Rel" problem, but I now know how to translate this, at least, so it only needs fixing in the code. Personally, I would consider such a change as a bug fix - but I´m not the one to decide).

RE the strings only visible with recompilation, I have already translated them (viewing the code, the meanings were easy to find in those instances), so I´ll probably leave it at that.

As said above already, here comes another updated list with strings still unclear / problematic.

Menu
  • String 250 "Delete of invalid saves" is a duplicate to string 257 "Delete all invalid saves in Open Rails" meaning-wise, and it´s grammar doesn´t look correct to me ("of" is not needed with the verb "delete" - it would fit with the noun "Deletion", however - AFAICT)

• String 34 "Auto Switch": What does it change in multiplayer / dispatcher window?
  • String 47 "Penalty": What does it change in multiplayer / dispatcher window?
  • String 48 "Prefer Green" Where is it used and what does it change in multiplayer / dispatcher window?
  • String 91 "Stopped due to errors in route setting" is unclear - is it about an error in the Route (TDB, TRK or other file) or the path set?
  • String 409 contains a spelling error in the source "Will not ratate cab and land"
  • String 546 "Stability correction": What does it mean? (force info extended HUD)

Contrib
(I know this is the lowest-priority item, but I add it for completeness. Please note, this contains only strings for the Trackviewer. See also here)
  • String 186 "Fix invalid node": Used where? Is an invalid node the same as a broken point in MSTS AE?
  • String 189 "Auto-fix broken nodes": Used where? Is a broken node the same as an invalid node? Is it the same as a broken point in the MSTS AE?
  • String 193, "Draw path until next broken point": Used where? Is a broken node the same as an invalid node? Is it the same as a broken point in the MSTS AE?
  • String 255 "Join and split": What exactly does this do? (Waiting point editing window)
  • Not exactly a problematic string, but more info might be useful in string 227 "Documentation is available" (in "about TrackViewer" dialog) - where is it available?

Cheers, Markus

This post has been edited by markus_GE: 04 May 2015 - 11:20 AM
Reason for edit:: Updated list to reflect changes done later (see folowing posts)

#15 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:52 PM

Hi Marcus,

I have added a patch to change release to "Rel", as well as moved BstReset to hidden debug.

#16 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:58 AM

Great, Peter :(

Cheers, Markus

#17 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

Can anyone help with the problems mentioned 3 posts above?

Cheers, Markus

#18 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:16 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 01 May 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

Menu
  • String 250 "Delete of invalid saves" is a duplicate to string 257 "Delete all invalid saves in Open Rails" meaning-wise, and it´s grammar doesn´t look correct to me ("of" is not needed with the verb "delete" - it would fit with the noun "Deletion", however - AFAICT)

I've fixed these in X3060.

#19 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

:bigboss:, James :byecry:

2 more to take off the list ;)

Cheers, Markus

#20 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

These are still in the queue of things I´m having troubles with:

• String 34 "Auto Switch": What does it change? (multiplayer dispatcher window)
  • String 47 "Penalty": What does it change? (multiplayer dispatcher window)
  • String 48 "Prefer Green" Where is it used and what does it change?

Contrib
  • Not exactly a problematic string, but more info might be useful in string 227 "Documentation is available" (in "about TrackViewer" dialog) - where is it available?

Anyone able to help, please? :cheers3: :dance:

Cheers, Markus

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users