Translations: Unclear strings & other problems Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

Hi Jeroen,

first of all, :derisive: for your time explaining this all :)

Secondly, am I save to translate both "invalid" and "broken" "nodes" and points as "broken point" (according to the MSTS AE use)? Also, in the German MSTS AE, broken points are actually called "disconnected points" - is that more accurate to what the term actually describes?

Dangling in this case means "not reconnected", right?

As for the localization problems shown in the pictures above, I fear I was not quite clear on them: Most of the strings already are contained in the translation files and (at least in German) are already translated. However, instead of the proper translation, the source string is shown (all above pictures were taken with TrackViewer set to German).

Yes, changing translatable strings in the code will change other people´s translations, in ways depending on the type of change. Fortunately, the *.POT / *.PO system, used with POedit is very flexible in this regard, so that adverse effects are kept to a minimum.
  • If a string is removed from the source, it will also be removed from the translation files, if the same translation is not use in another place in the code.
  • If a string is changed in the source, but not removed, the translation will be marked as "fuzzy", because it might no longer reflect the meaning of the original string. However, a string that has already had a complete, non-fuzzy translation will always be considered "translated" by launchpad´s translation statistics. The string will only need another look by the translator to check if the translation is still correct (in the last such cases, this was always true, because these changes only dealt with typos).
  • If a string is added in the source, it will also be added to the translations as a new, untranslated entry.

Cheers, Markus

#32 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

Markus,
I updated TrackViewer and the .pot file. I used the pseudo-localization for testing and it seems to work (Hence the .po file is also updated).
I hope this is working on your side as well (it was the first time I used Update.bat and the pseudo-localization script).

Dangling is not the same as not-connected (because one side is actually connected). In German it might be 'baumeln'.

'Disconnected' is also not perfect for broken ('broken' is perhaps also not very good). A broken point might be still be connected to a previous and a follow-up point. Nevertheless, it might be disconnected from the track (the track could be changed after the path was created; the path uses the location for the definition of the points. And if such a location is no longer on the track, the point is broken. 'off-track' might be a good replacement for many 'broken' points, but not all (in particular the dangling node).

I think in the MSTS AE you can actually 'mark point as broken'. If you mark it as this, it becomes 'invalid'. The term 'invalid' might not be a MSTS name. I got it from the property IsInvalid in the class TrackPDP. So saying 'broken' instead of 'invalid' is fine by me. The fine difference of course is that if a point is marked as broken, it just sets a flag that can be ignored to 'fix' it, to make it not-broken. Which is exactly what the action is doing.

Let me know if you miss something (or, worse, in case I 'broke' something).
Jeroen.

#33 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

Hi Jeroen,

:sign_sorry: for the help, it´s very much appreciated :)

I will check the results tomorrow when I come home from work.

WEell, "baumeln" would be the same as "not re-connected" (as I wrote in my above post - you might have missed the "re" in "re-connected" :D )

"Disconnect" in this case was just the English translation of what Microsoft though is an acceptable German translation for "broken point" - I´ve never thought this to be a good one, I just wanted to be sure I´m right :)

Yes, in MSTS AE, the possibility to mark a point as broken exists. However, I have no idea what this was intended for.

Anyway, I now feel I have a much better understanding of what all the different things actually mean, and will be able to translate them accordingly. :bigboss: again for your help :)

Cheers, Markus

#34 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

OK, now also TrackViewer should be translated completely to German :sign_thanks:

Cheers, Markus

#35 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:43 AM

Quickly looking through the translation again today, some more strings have been added to RunActivity´s translation. It seems to me like all of them are in the Steam Usage Debugging HUD, but nevertheless, if some one (preferably Peter, as he seems to be the one who included the new strings) can help me a little, I´ll translate them, too ;)

• 203, "SwpVol"
  • 204, "RelVol"
  • 205, "CompVol"
  • 206, "RawSt"
  • 207, "CalcSt"
  • 208, "ClrWt"
  • 209, "CutWt"
  • 210, "TotWt"
  • 211, "SupFact" (has had a translation, but it seems to have been filled from POedit´s translation memory, as it really didn´t fit)
  • 212, "CondFact"
  • 213, "CondSp"

Any help appreciated :bigboss:

Cheers, Markus

#36 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:55 AM

Anybody wanting to help?

Cheers, Markus

#37 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

markus_GE, on 17 May 2015 - 02:43 AM, said:

Any help appreciated :lol:

Looks like these are all purely debugging things which never get shown (users can't even turn this thing on). They shouldn't be localised at all, so I'll fix up the code and they'll disappear.

#38 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

:whistling:

I´m fine with anything that helps me to get these from my plate (either by translating or removing them) :sign_thanks:

Cheers, Markus

#39 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

Thank goodnes, tearing up old threads is not a problem here, so I would like to "recycle" this thread for questions that have surfaced during my latest pass of updating the German translations for ORTS ;)

This list is by far not complete, but encompasses the most urgent "problem children" in the translation, which I need explanations to, as noted (mentions ordered by POT file name and file order)

Contrib: Same info needed for all of the following: Context? When used? Where?
  • "AI train request to pass red signal"
  • "Save the data of the chart in json format into a .js file.The saved data can then be used to show the chart on an HTML5 canvas."
  • "Save json"
  • "Save the data of the chart in json format into a .js file."

Menu:
  • "Speed control" - Context? Exact functionality?
  • "Log Steam performance data" - Context? Steam = seam loco or other more precise category?

ORTS.Settings:
  • "Game Suspend Old Player" - Context? Exact functionality?
  • "Control Circuit Breaker Closing Order" - Please explain to me the circuit breaker concept; Exact functionality? Used when?
  • "Control Circuit Breaker Opening Order" - see above
  • "Control Circuit Breaker Closing Authorization" - see above
  • "Control Cab Radio" - Context? Exact functionality?
  • "Control AI Fire On" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Control AI Fire Off" - see above
  • "Control AI Fire Reset" - see above

ORTS.Simulation:
  • "Cab Radio" - Context? Exact functionality?
  • "Train can't be suspended with speed not equal 0" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "To return to static train speed must be = 0" - see above
  • "Player train has been included into train {0} service {1}, that automatically becomes the new player train" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Train slipped into non aligned {0}" - see above
  • "Train front on {0}" (and similar) - see above
  • "Join success: Train {0} service {1} has been incorporated into train {2} service {3}" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "You cannot use this command for pathless trains" - see above
  • "Circuit breaker closing not authorized" - Please explain to me the circuit breaker concept; Exact functionality? Used when?
  • "Waiting for train to attach : " - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Waiting for transfer with train : " - see above
  • "Waiting for train to arrive : " - see above
  • ", backward" - see above
  • ", forward" - see above
  • "Train is ready to attach to : " - see above

RunActivity:
  • "Auto Switch" - Context? Exact functionality?
  • "Waiting for transfer" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Train inactive." - see above
  • "Train static." - see above
  • " Activation time : " - see above
  • "Transfer units at next station with train " - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Transfer units with train " - see above
  • "Train is to attach to : " - see above
  • " ; other train not yet ready" - see above
  • "Train is to pickup train at end of path" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Pick up train ahead" - see above
  • "Transfer units with train ahead" - see above
  • "This portion will continue as train : " - see above
  • "portion will continue as train : " - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "This portion will form into train : " - see above
  • "portion will form into train : " -see above

Any answers are appreciated, as they allow me to work in as many correct translations as possible until FRI, which is time I have been allowed to during which I can still do this via SVN.

Cheers, Markus

#40 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

For the "Speed control", it disables completely the speed control part of the Train Control System.

For the circuit breaker, please look at this first : https://blueprints.l...circuit-breaker
If you have questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users