Translations: Unclear strings & other problems Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

Let's have a go...

markus_GE, on 16 August 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

Contrib: Same info needed for all of the following: Context? When used? Where?
  • "AI train request to pass red signal"
  • "Save the data of the chart in json format into a .js file.The saved data can then be used to show the chart on an HTML5 canvas."
  • "Save json"
  • "Save the data of the chart in json format into a .js file."

• This is a checkbox in the waiting point dialog for path editing in the Track Viewer. It designates the waiting point as a special one which makes an AI train virtually press Tab, to try and get permission to pass the next signal if it is red. I presume this is for shunting.
  • From a similar place, but is the tooltip for the "Save json" button on the Path-Editor > Show chart dialog.
  • This is the label of the same button.
  • Not sure why this is separate, it might be a bug in the localisation extraction: the tooltip in item 2 is two lines.

Menu:
  • "Speed control" - Context? Exact functionality?
  • "Log Steam performance data" - Context? Steam = seam loco or other more precise category?

• Menu > Options > General. Not a clue what it means though, this needs a better label in English as well. :(
  • Menu > Options > Data logger. Steam refers to the type of locomotive I believe, presumably it will log extra things like boiler pressure, water level, etc. that are specific to this type of loco.

ORTS.Settings:
  • "Game Suspend Old Player" - Context? Exact functionality?
  • "Control Circuit Breaker Closing Order" - Please explain to me the circuit breaker concept; Exact functionality? Used when?
  • "Control Circuit Breaker Opening Order" - see above
  • "Control Circuit Breaker Closing Authorization" - see above
  • "Control Cab Radio" - Context? Exact functionality?
  • "Control AI Fire On" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Control AI Fire Off" - see above
  • "Control AI Fire Reset" - see above

• Keyboard command (Menu > Options > Keyboard > Game, just before the next section). If this key is pressed when you select a new train from the train list window, it will suspend the previous one (i.e. become static instead of AI driven) IIRC.
  • These three are keyboard commands for electric locomotives. I am not sure if they are worded correctly in English, though (it feels like "Open Circuit Breaker" and "Close Circuit Breaker" would make more sense). AIUI, the circuit breaker in an electric locomotive is somewhat like the main on/off switch (but with some safety features).
  • see above
  • see above
  • Another keyboard command. Probably should be "Control Cab Radio Toggle", as it toggles the radio on and off in the cab (this is a new feature).
  • These are three more keyboard controls. They are also new, and control the AI fireman when you are driving a stream locomotive. Possibly also not labelled very well. "AI Fire On" tells the AI fireman to start adding fuel to the fire.
  • "AI Fire Off" tells the AI fireman to stop adding fuel to the fire.
  • "AI Fire Reset" tells the AI fireman to go back to automatic operation.

ORTS.Simulation:
  • "Cab Radio" - Context? Exact functionality?
  • "Train can't be suspended with speed not equal 0" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "To return to static train speed must be = 0" - see above
  • "Player train has been included into train {0} service {1}, that automatically becomes the new player train" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Train slipped into non aligned {0}" - see above
  • "Train front on {0}" (and similar) - see above
  • "Join success: Train {0} service {1} has been incorporated into train {2} service {3}" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "You cannot use this command for pathless trains" - see above
  • "Circuit breaker closing not authorized" - Please explain to me the circuit breaker concept; Exact functionality? Used when?
  • "Waiting for train to attach : " - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Waiting for transfer with train : " - see above
  • "Waiting for train to arrive : " - see above
  • ", backward" - see above
  • ", forward" - see above
  • "Train is ready to attach to : " - see above

There are a lot of poor strings in this list, so I would like to remind all developers of the following rule for localised text: Do not concatenate separately-translated words, phrases, or sentences to form a final piece of text. You must also aim to localise the entire string at once; if items within the string vary, they should either be replacements (e.g. "{0}") or you should translate the whole string multiple times.

It is better to translate "AI Fireman has started adding fuel to fire" and "AI Fireman has stopped adding fuel to fire" (this is an example where we've done it right) than to translate "AI Fireman has", "started", "stopped", and "adding fuel to fire".

• This one is for the message that appears on-screen when you turn the radio on or off. "Radio" should not be capitalised. :(
  • When you try to suspend a train (by switching to another train and holding down Shift), it will fail with this message if your train is not stationary. Yet another message we can write better in English, unfortunately.
  • This is pretty much the same, but I believe this happens when you are switching away from a train that was previously static (rather than AI) so it cannot be transfered to AI control.
  • This message seems to occur when your train and an AI are coupled, and the game has chosen the AI's train as the one to keep (may depend on which one is at the front, how the timetable is written, etc.). The cab view will likely change when this message appears, as the player will move to the new front-of-train cab.
  • This is a turntable-related message. I believe it occurs if you drive a train into a moving turntable (or perhaps off a moving turntable?).
  • These are positional turntable messages. I believe they occur as you drive on/off a turntable to ensure you know when you are fully on, etc.
  • This seems to be something to do with AI trains coupling together, but it's not clear to me why this is a message shown to the user.
  • This error appears when you try to switch to manual mode in a train that used to be a static consist (and thus has no pre-defined path to follow).
  • Not entirely sure; this seems to be hooked up to the train control system (TCS) scripting system and I don't understand circuit breakers enough to know why you wouldn't be authorised. An example might be something like "You are not allowed to turn the locomotive off while it is moving" though.
  • Timetable-related messages. I believe these are all related to station departures; e.g. you cannot depart the station yet because you are waiting for another train to arrive and attach to yours, etc.
  • see above
  • see above
  • These three go together. The full message is "Train is ready to attach to : {train name}, {forwards or backwards}".
  • see above
  • see above

RunActivity:
  • "Auto Switch" - Context? Exact functionality?
  • "Waiting for transfer" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Train inactive." - see above
  • "Train static." - see above
  • " Activation time : " - see above
  • "Transfer units at next station with train " - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Transfer units with train " - see above
  • "Train is to attach to : " - see above
  • " ; other train not yet ready" - see above
  • "Train is to pickup train at end of path" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "Pick up train ahead" - see above
  • "Transfer units with train ahead" - see above
  • "This portion will continue as train : " - see above
  • "portion will continue as train : " - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
  • "This portion will form into train : " - see above
  • "portion will form into train : " -see above

• Checkbox in the dispatcher view, which seems to control switches auto-aligning to trains approaching them.
  • Shows up in the next station window, at the bottom. This goes for many of the strings here. I don't really know what transfers are in timetable mode, though.
  • I believe these three are for when the player's timetable train has nothing to do (inactive) until later (the activation time), or has become a static train.
  • see above
  • see above
  • More timetable transfer stuff. Rob will definitely know what transfers are, and it might be in the manual.
  • see above
  • The rest are all timetable join/split functions (where a train splits in two or two trains join to form one) or more transfer stuff.

Any answers are appreciated, as they allow me to work in as many correct translations as possible until FRI, which is time I have been allowed to during which I can still do this via SVN.

Not that much of a rush from our side; they'll be at least a couple of weeks notice of the switch to Git.

Hope that helps get some of these translated; however, it looks like a large portion of those mentioned here need to be redone from the code or English side as well. Perhaps we should get a dev to clean up all the concatenation going on, then a native-English speaker to go through all the phrasings/language.

#42 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

James Ross, on 17 August 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

[...]

Not that much of a rush from our side; they'll be at least a couple of weeks notice of the switch to Git.

Hope that helps get some of these translated; however, it looks like a large portion of those mentioned here need to be redone from the code or English side as well. Perhaps we should get a dev to clean up all the concatenation going on, then a native-English speaker to go through all the phrasings/language.

:sign_thanks: a real bunch for your efforts, James. I'll try and work as many of these into the translation tomorrow.

Well, I know that the switch will not happen immediately, but a few weeks could mean that it's been done when I can next work on the translation, because I'm going on a 3-week vacation on SAT :)

Cleaning up those translations would really be a great idea. Not splitting up strings the way shown above a few times could already help a lot, as could proper English wording. That's not criticize any of the non-native English speakers among the developers (if I were to develop, I'd likely be "guilty" as well), but just telling the facts. And, to be clear, programming progress definitely is more important than proper English in the PO files ;)

Cheers, Markus

#43 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

I'm done working the above info into the German translation, t least, where possible. Below is an update and consolidate list of the entries from the above list, including James' comments, where applicable. All comments are appreciated and will be worked into the translation eventually, even if it may take some time :)

Serana, on 17 August 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

For the "Speed control", it disables completely the speed control part of the Train Control System.

For the circuit breaker, please look at this first : https://blueprints.l...circuit-breaker
If you have questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

:sign_thanks: Serana, that was the missing bit of information :)

RunActivity:
  • "Waiting for transfer" - Context? Exact functionality? When used? Where?
    James: Shows up in the next station window, at the bottom. This goes for many of the strings here. I don't really know what transfers are in timetable mode, though
  • "Transfer units at next station with train " - see above
    James: More timetable transfer stuff. Rob will definitely know what transfers are, and it might be in the manual.
  • "Transfer units with train " - see above
    James: see above
  • "Transfer units with train ahead" - see above
  • "This portion will continue as train : " - see above
    James: The rest are all timetable join/split functions (where a train splits in two or two trains join to form one) or more transfer stuff.
  • "portion will continue as train : " - see above
  • "This portion will form into train : " - see above
  • "portion will form into train : " -see above

I'm now off for holiday - will report back when home again :)

Cheers, Markus

#44 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:53 AM

Reputable colleagues!
Let me report back about Russian localization of ORTS progress:

Now,
-the whole "MENU" and small parts are translated;
-"Contribute" part leaved intact;
-"Run activity" and "Simulatiom" are ready for 80-90%;
-"Common" part is reday, exept the physical suffixes, that seem to be used only in British-speaking part of World.
-I discover some things, looking like mistakes, or out-to date in "Common" part (Signal Picked)
-I encountered, the form of representation of key commands, that make arrangement of translated strings more complex, as Russian uses more letters.

Questions:
Is "Physics Form" available actually(I press Alt+F3, but nothing happens)
Are the suffixes, not in use in Russian have to be translated? (They'll demand much more letters=more space in HUD)
I missunderstand some of them, because I never seen them before (BTU for example).

I'm going to post non-clear strings, like Markus started HERE, so I hope, the assistance from you will be done.

#45 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 10 June 2020 - 02:27 AM

Hi Weter,
yes, you can attach your translation files here, and someone will provide for its insertion in the OR source pack.

#46 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:04 AM

So, exept sayed suffixes, Questions inside ORTS.Common are:

1.Game Signal Picked It seems, there's universal command to show choosed switch and signal in gane, and This-not works.
2.Debug Lock Shadows Don't understand meaning/context
3.Debug Log Render Frame Think, this thermin hasn't translation to Russian
4.Debug Physics Form Already told-can't see such window in game
5.Camera Scroll Right/Left What it exactly means?
6.Control Cylinder Compound Don't understand meaning/context
7.Control Firing Don't understand meaning/context

#47 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:16 AM

Weter, if you are already in contact with Markus, I'll leave it to him to do the actions for insertion of your work into the official OR versions. I'll only insert it into OR NewYear MG.

#48 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:18 AM

HUD:
1. QR,BC,BP,EOT,etc. (TB and LB status strings) can't be found in *.pot anywhere;
2. Left/Right (Doors status string) -as above;
3. DISPATCHER INFORMATION : active trains : I've translated, but it still displayed in English
4. Info in string about Wind resistance-can't be found in *.pot anywhere

#49 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 10 June 2020 - 12:37 PM

Russian locales now available in OR NewYear MG rev. 65. Thanks to Weter.

#50 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 10 June 2020 - 02:41 PM

Csantucci, on 10 June 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

Russian locales now available in OR NewYear MG rev. 65. Thanks to Weter.

I just added them to my latest PR (#211) that is awaiting review (Finally, the Appveyor CI build no longer stalls on my updates to the German locales :) ).

Csantucci, on 10 June 2020 - 05:16 AM, said:

Weter, if you are already in contact with Markus, I'll leave it to him to do the actions for insertion of your work into the official OR versions. I'll only insert it into OR NewYear MG.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif Carlo. Let me add a quick explanation for my late reaction, though.

Weter cannot sign up at GitHub due to problems with his eMail account, but Chris is currently working on a solution for this problem so Weter can contribute in the usual way - so me (or anybody else) uploading Weter's work from a ZIP file should be a one-of-a-kind measure.

Cheers, Markus

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users