• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are we missing blended braking in OR? Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:58 AM

from ver 3407 dynamic brake blending is available for electrics.
Can be enabled by the MSTS way: BrakesEngineControllers( "Independent, Train, Dynamic, Blended" )

There are two new parameters for Engine ( ) block:
-OrtsDynamicBlendingOverride ( 1 ) eng parameter makes dynamic brake lever always override blending command if, the lever is not at 0. If this is not enabled, the higher command is applied, for example: blending command is 40% and the dynamic brake lever is at 60%, then the dynamic brake percentage will be 60%.

-OrtsDynamicBlendingForceMatch ( 1 ) parameter makes the dynamic brake blending alorithm to try to achieve the same dynamic brake force as the airbrake would have (in case of bailoff)/ or has. for example: if the airbrake force would be 28 kN, then the dynamic brake force will try to hold the same force.

The dynamic brake blending uses "virtual cylinder pressure" so the bailoff, does not affects it, so you're free to use that.
Brake_Dynamic block (which defines dynamic brake lever) is not needed to make blending work, as there are locomotives that don't have DB lever, but have blending.

Example eng for Acela HHP Attached File  acelaHHPblendingexample.zip (4.58K)
Number of downloads: 275 (note, acela has a very narrow dynamic braking range, which fades completely over 100 km/h)

#42 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

Using the HHP train brake, the dynamic brake follows the curve until the minimum speed of 5 mph. However the air train brake does not function once this speed is reached.

Is this correct ?

Thanks

#43 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:24 AM

Hi.
No. When dynamic brake stop work, air brake start work. Increas pressure in brake cylinder according to pressure in brake pipe. The lokomotive can not be without braking.

#44 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:33 AM

View PostCoolhand101, on 06 January 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

Using the HHP train brake, the dynamic brake follows the curve until the minimum speed of 5 mph. However the air train brake does not function once this speed is reached.

Is this correct ?

Thanks

Yes it is, as DynamicBrakeHasAutoBailOff( 1 ) is set. And it bails off the airbrake when dynamic brake is activated, which does not depend on speed. This isn't changed at all.
Compensating airbrake is a different story, for the future.

#45 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:20 AM

Hi.
If the engineer applies brake, the pressure in the brake pipe goes down e.g. from 5 to 4.7 bar. As soon as the dynamic brake starts working the pressure in the brake cylinder goes down to 0 bar (DynamicBrakeHasAutoBailOff( 1 )). This is all right in OR.

If he applies brakes again from 4.7 to 4.3 bar, the pressure in the brake cylinder doesn't increase anymore. It stays on 0 bar. This doesn´t work corretly in OR. Because the pressure in the brake cylinder grows up and then goes down.

At speeds when the dynamic brake stops working (according to dynamic brake curve) the pressure in the brake cylinder grows according to the pressure in the brake pipe.Did you mean this by compensating airbrake?

#46 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:-

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:07 AM

Hi disc, thanks for the news.

It is normal that on a unit or even locomotive that has only one handle to control the power and brakes, when the dynamic brake is being applied and the train is coming into a stop, air brakes will be applied as soon as the dynamic stops having effect. Some rolling stock does indeed compensate the dynamic braking with the air brakes.

#47 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:-

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:28 AM

Disc, FYI, the problem with the Czech rolling stock I had mentioned before, does not exist anymore. It works as it should as far as I can hear and see. Only that the Dynamic Brake shows 0% when being used but I am sure it is being applied more than 0% when I am using the blended controler.

Thanks! :)

#48 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

Dynamic brake % shows the controller position, which is not changed by blending, only by the player. Yes the compensating brake is when the dynamic brake fades or not available, then the airbrake complement the brake force.

#49 User is offline   alexmorph3us 

• Hostler

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

View Posthroch, on 09 January 2016 - 05:20 AM, said:

Hi.
If the engineer applies brake, the pressure in the brake pipe goes down e.g. from 5 to 4.7 bar. As soon as the dynamic brake starts working the pressure in the brake cylinder goes down to 0 bar (DynamicBrakeHasAutoBailOff( 1 )). This is all right in OR.

If he applies brakes again from 4.7 to 4.3 bar, the pressure in the brake cylinder doesn't increase anymore. It stays on 0 bar. This doesn´t work corretly in OR. Because the pressure in the brake cylinder grows up and then goes down.

At speeds when the dynamic brake stops working (according to dynamic brake curve) the pressure in the brake cylinder grows according to the pressure in the brake pipe.Did you mean this by compensating airbrake?

You are correct, sir! I did a test for myself and I've noticed the same thing.The air pressure should go up immediately once the dynamic is fading out, but it doesn't so that the train could stay in position safely.I'm starting to think that the implemented blending algorithm in OR might not work properly without compensating air brakes at the end.

#50 User is offline   alexmorph3us 

• Hostler

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

In the meantime I did another test without auto bail off where the two (dynamic braking and air braking) started working together and I've found the end result is much more satisfying as the train started slowing down much smoother this way.So I'd recommend leaving out the option DynamicBrakeHasAutoBailOff until a better solution will be found for compensating airbrake at the end.Cheers :)

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users