Elvas Tower: Extended AI train shunting - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Extended AI train shunting Rate Topic: -----

#111 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:09 AM

Metro,
your activity file has a strange format. Notepad won't read it directly, and if I read it with Writer I see a bunch of spaces and newlines (or special characters) in it.
Such file for sure woulnd'be understood by OR.

#112 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:52 AM

Yes I have no idea what happened to it. I'm just going to re download the original activity and modify it again and see if I can reproduce the same errors. Even before the terrible reformat I was still getting errors in OR.

#113 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

Success! I modified a fresh demo activity and the results were amazing! Seeing custom locos and cars switching around a yard, building and taking away is amazing. The sights, the sounds! Alas, until an OR activity editor is made I won't be able to create any shunting activities. I think after 1.0 an AE should be a top priority. There are those of us who's MSTS has pretty much locked us out with errors. Anyway, great addition another game changer.

#114 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

I'm happy you had success and enjoyed it! But pls. don't despise too much the MSTS AE. With all its limitations, it still allows to generate OR-ready activities ( in conjunction with a generic editor only in the cases where OR-specific keywords are used).
Of course an OR AE would be better.

#115 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

Unfortunately things have gotten to the point where I can't open an activity without using Train Store to store everything but the activity I'm editing. So I can't create new activities. Maybe if I move the consists folder it'll load. I'll try it later.

#116 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:49 PM

I'm using Train Store too. However I need Train Store only when I run MSTS itself. MSTS editors and tools load and run correctly even with everything unstored (they are only a bit slow to load). Maybe this could be also your case?

#117 User is offline   KiwiPeter 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Open Rails X

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:36 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 19 February 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

In activity Testhelper_player the same occurs, but this time you are the driver of the freight train. Wait until the two helpers have coupled at the rear of your train, and start. (Pls. notice that the power of your locos is hardly sufficient, so run a bit faster than max allowed speed, especially in the last ramps, to avoid remaining stuck). When you reach the plateau, you get a message telling you where to stop (about the same place where the AI train stopped in the other activity).

Thanks for creating this. The first one worked very well, but I seem to have found a few bugs with the 2nd one.

The first bug has nothing to do directly with this new feature. I was using camera 3 on the helper locos until they coupled to my train. I then tried to use Ctrl-Alt-PgUp to move the camera along the train. This caused the program to fail. It had obviously not been anticipated that somebody might want to do this.

The second is more obscure and I may have caused it by stopping in the wrong place. When I disconnected the helpers they sat there, facing a red signal. Using the dispatcher I changed the signal to Green. The engines let out a hiss, as if letting the brakes off, but they just sat there. The waiting time was not up yet. But when it was they still would not move. It was then that I noticed that there was no path visible in the dispatcher. I attach a screen shot with dispatcher HUD.

Regards,
Peter.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Image 1.jpg

#118 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:31 AM

Peter,
referring to your second problem, I assume you stopped the train too early, and the helpers were in the "forbidden" section before the signal (which is 30 meters or 15 meters, i don't remember) (although this should not cause a stop, but it would be quite complicated to intervene).
So next time I suggest you
- either to have the camera on the helpers when you arrive near to the decoupling point, and to check that they are already at least 30 meters away from the signal
- or, if you are in the cab, to stop a bit after next signal.
I believe to know what happened here: the train has become longer since the time I developed the activity! I developed it when the US2BnsfCar wagons were not loaded due to this bug http://www.elvastowe...o-more-loading/ , and the player consist has a certain amount of such wagons. So at that point the train was shorter and you could stop also at some distance before such next signal. Now you have to stop further on and I should change the pop-up message in the activity... I've just added a note in the post you mentioned.

#119 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

In release x.3034 I fixed the crash on changing car attached to camera after train merging.

#120 User is offline   KiwiPeter 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Open Rails X

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:51 AM

Very good, Carlo. Thanks for the explanation and for fixing this so quickly.

Regards,
Peter.

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users