Elvas Tower: Extended AI train shunting - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Extended AI train shunting Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

Nice, two shot at the price of one! :)
Steve, pls. don't stress yourself too much to find another negative test...

#102 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:03 PM

Hi Carlo/Steve,

You guys are funny...
:)

Regards,
Scott

#103 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

Hi Carlo,

Man - I've been creating some pretty crazy activities - two switchers - each working a different ends of the yard - assembling and breaking down trains as they come and go - while my player train departs the yard... WOW - and if anyone can still recall MSTS 1.0 where we couldn't even use the front coupler - we've come so far...

I am trying to implement your "helper" service and I've looked at your example... I can get the helper to automatically join the back of my train (if only we had real triggers) - although I think I have to disconnect and reconnect the MU status to get it to take... In my first trial run the helper was attached but seemed to remain at idle and wasn't actively pushing causing my train to stall out - since cycling the MU connection after they connect - it seems to work well now... As I understand it - the helper path needs to follow the player path to the top of the hill - at which point you stop the player train while the helper is still on it's path - and disconnect the helper... I had a reverse point slightly ahead of the helper - as you did - that was triggered when the train passed over it... While I disconnected the helper and a caboose from the back of the train - the helper doesn't start back down the hill - it doesn't move again just sitting there... Am I missing any steps to implement this service ? In your example of a helper on a player train - the helper path seemed to be broken at the reverse point - not sure if that was intentional or not - the reverse point has a small red "X" over it in Track Viewer...

Thanks for all you do !!!

Regards,
Scott

#104 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

Hi Scott,
nice that you could implement some AI yard shunting!
Referring to helper operation, I assume you have taken as example my Marias Pass activity Testhelper_player. Two points:
1) have you inserted the WP with waiting time 60001 in the path of the helper, before coupling to the player train?
2) you are writing that you see a reversal point near the location where the two trains should uncouple; you shouldn't see that reversal point, because it is on the path of the helper train (path Testhelper_helper_1WP in my test activity), while the player train has path Testhelper_helped, that has no reversal point. This because it is the helper that must reverse and return downhill, and not the player train.

#105 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

Hi Carlo,

Item #1 - why do I need the waiting point before having the helper connect to the player train? It seemed to work without it... Once connected - it assigned the name of "Player" to the helper when viewed in the car operations window.

Regards,
Scott

#106 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:33 PM

View Postscottb613, on 22 March 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Hi Carlo,

Item #1 - why do I need the waiting point before having the helper connect to the player train? It seemed to work without it... Once connected - it assigned the name of "Player" to the helper when viewed in the car operations window.

Regards,
Scott

The answer lies in the problem you found: only that waiting point lets OR know that the helper train must still be present - as a "ghost" - ready to be resuscitated when the two trains are separated, and then to move autonomously! Else the helper train would disappear at all in the internal train tables - it would completely "die". In such second case the uncouple would only create a static consist.

#107 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:21 AM

Hi Carlo,

As you stated 60001 solves all my issues - amazing stuff you created here...

Regards,
Scott

#108 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:47 AM

I tried the demo activity and I must say that it is top drawer stuff. Even the default stock looked cool shunting and being shunted. However, I tried to swap out cars and locomotives for a better experience and OR was just not having it. Got a load error on the drop down menu. I assume that AI shunting is set up in such a manner that these activities cannot be modified once they have been set up?

#109 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

Thank you. No, in general activities may be modified replacing rolling stock. If however train length changes, some attention must be paid to the position of waiting points and reverse points, that in some cases should be modified.

#110 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:24 PM

Welp, tried it again. Since my MSTS AE is basically kaput I had to manually edit the cars in via the .act file. Everything was okay until the last line. OR won't load until I fix whatever that issue is. Here is the OR log and copy of the .act file (modified).

Attached File(s)

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users