Elvas Tower: Debate: Distribution methods: zip files vs installers vs ? - Elvas Tower

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Debate: Distribution methods: zip files vs installers vs ? Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 December 2023 - 08:04 AM

Anything we do for new files has to be able to be retrofitted for existing files.

If somebody wants to develop a file layout for the config, I can build a form into the uploader at trainSim that can generate and insert a config file into the archive or deliver it with the download zip.

It seems you might need two pieces to that puzzle however - The source and the destination.

#42 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 13 December 2023 - 11:14 AM

Hello.
As Bernard have said:

i have a common ORTS Trainset folder where every piece of rolling stock and locomotives is stored so that i only have 1 place to go to update stuff, yet all of them are available to any route, by just putting the consist in the consist folder of that route

My question is: is it really possible to use links inside *.con-files to call rolling stock units from remote folder, common and single for all ORTS installation profiles?
What should I do for getting an effect with that? what will be proper syntax?

#43 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:49 PM

View PostJack@Elvas, on 13 December 2023 - 06:36 AM, said:

What can I do to help push this forward?

Calling here James Ross to share his vision, as I know there might be one. About the VFS part, please read the discussion at github PR: https://github.com/o...nrails/pull/541

#44 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 December 2023 - 10:51 AM

The core problem is stated rather simply: It's a many to many relationship and Windows doesn't do that very well, if at all. By this I mean a .wag is found in many .con files and a .con file has many .wags and both can be found associated with many routes; There isn't anywhere you can go look to see how many .con files are there holding this .wag? At least you can look in the .con file and see its .wags.

The same problem occurs with all shapes and routes.

Technically, this is a trivial problem for a decently designed database and it would not be that difficult to design such a database for OR. The risk is, of course, the ease with which end users can screw things over totally with a file structure they don't understand at all... just imagine, we put everything into a single place and darn near every one says "Backups? I don't need no stinking backups!" and what that will lead to. :wallbash:

#45 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 14 December 2023 - 10:58 AM

Another thought: IMO it is a shame route developers never bothered adding 2 directories to their route tree named "[routename} Consists*" and "[routename} Trainsets*". It would have helped us all manage our install environment when one decides to move or drop a route -- you'd know what to look for inside of \trains.

* list of file names only.

#46 User is offline   Peter B. 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 15 December 2023 - 06:55 AM

Hi Dave,

you wrote: There isn't anywhere you can go look to see how many .con files are there holding this .wag? [...] Technically, this is a trivial problem [...]

At least GokuMK has solved this problem in TSRE's Consist Editor. Although the function is listed under Eng - Find Consists it also works for .wag files.

So, theoretically one might be able to port this functionality from Goku's sources.

Regards, Peter

#47 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 December 2023 - 08:53 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 14 December 2023 - 10:51 AM, said:

The core problem is stated rather simply: It's a many to many relationship and Windows doesn't do that very well, if at all. By this I mean a .wag is found in many .con files and a .con file has many .wags and both can be found associated with many routes; There isn't anywhere you can go look to see how many .con files are there holding this .wag? At least you can look in the .con file and see its .wags.

I did add a WAG/CON search on Trainsim a few months back -- that's done by cataloging all of the related files out of the ZIP archives.

You can find it under the advanced search options.

#48 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 17 December 2023 - 04:20 PM

View PostWeter, on 13 December 2023 - 11:14 AM, said:

Hello.
As Bernard have said:

My question is: is it really possible to use links inside *.con-files to call rolling stock units from remote folder, common and single for all ORTS installation profiles?
What should I do for getting an effect with that? what will be proper syntax?

here is one of my sample con files, obviously the format depends on where you have placed all of the files but i have a 2TB drive and all of the routes and the Common Trainset folder are on that one drive so this works, and of course if you want activities to work you have to also do this in the act files, which i have done many times and all the acts work as well. I can copy that con file to any consist folder on any route and it will work from that master setup

Attached File  SP SD45T-2 55car WB EURVQ.con (16.45K)
Number of downloads: 41

#49 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 17 December 2023 - 08:29 PM

Bernard, this command

..\\..\\..\\ORTS_Trainset_Master

am I correct in understand the double dots means this:

\trains\miniroute home level\some higher level directory\ORTS_Trainset_Master? As in up\up\up\down.

#50 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 18 December 2023 - 04:10 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 17 December 2023 - 08:29 PM, said:

Bernard, this command

..\\..\\..\\ORTS_Trainset_Master

am I correct in understand the double dots means this:

\trains\miniroute home level\some higher level directory\ORTS_Trainset_Master? As in up\up\up\down.

I really do not know, it definately makes it find the right folder and engine or wagon, i tried lots of combinations at the beginning and this is the only one that works for the con files

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users