Elvas Tower: Debate: Distribution methods: zip files vs installers vs ? - Elvas Tower

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Debate: Distribution methods: zip files vs installers vs ? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Jack@Elvas 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:All

Posted 09 December 2023 - 01:55 PM

I had a nice talk with Geoff about how to install his Engine with a 3D cab.

It had me thinking about a problem we all face: Distribution.

We seem to have 2 distribution methods and both have downsides:
Zip Files
Installers

We don't currently have this for OpenRails but a package manager type tool could be a 3rd option.
That might be something I'd be willing to put some development time into, has there been any discussion about such a thing in the past?

#2 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 09 December 2023 - 04:49 PM

My preference is for zip files as I like to see what I'm getting before I put it on my computer. More importantly it allows me to customise install locations and naming conventions of the content to suit my environment which is not identical to other environments.

A package manager can still be created to process zip files for those who prefer a one click install experience.

#3 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 December 2023 - 06:18 PM

My answer would match with Marek's, except, I don't know, what package manager is.
Having installer, I have to perform redundant steps: installing in safe location (sandbox), then uninstalling.
Note, there is no guarantee, that no traces in registry or so still persist.
This gives an idea about "dirty" netbook, with internet access for downloading, AV scanning and sorting new files.
Between those steps - I do the same, as with unzipped package - review files and replace them, if needed - into my working folders.

OTOH, for unexperienced users, or for those, who just wants to play - the lesss actions seems the best choise.
Like ORTS, which automatically goes to Internet, chacks for updates and reniews itself.
The latter means - there would be no universal approach, fitting everyone's tastes.

#4 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 10 December 2023 - 03:23 AM

It's 2023, and we have clearly seen the issues that *aged* installers create. A ZIP file with GOOD instructions is really all we need. By now, nearly everyone online has a clear concept of what a ZIP file is. Installer developers for our products are forced to either make assumptions about your setup or enforce their own ideas about where things need to go (IE, TrainSimulations, for example)

Content installation for OPEN RAILS, unlike MSTS, has no specific requirements for the actual location where it must be installed so there is hardly a NEED to have an installer do it for you.

Windows Registry for MSTS was littered with details you could retreive... like where your "installed base" for the program was installed so you could infer where the content needed to go... not the case with OPEN RAILS, in fact, the opposite is true... you NEVER want to place your content under the OPEN RAILS installation folder. OPEN RAILS (apparently) only keeps track of the its own Executable Details in the Windows Registry, but not where you installed your various content folders, so a Registry Based installer will have no clue about it.

In other words, I'm having a hard time justifying using an "installer EXE".

So, my vote is: ZIP file distribution... and you can use a PASSWORD PROTECTED ZIP file, if needed.

Let "Installer EXE's" fade to oblivion.

#5 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 December 2023 - 06:48 AM

The problem with writing good instructions is nobody ever reads them. I don't know how many times I have to bold and repeat DO NOT MODIFY FOLDER STRUCTURE, UNZIP ALL FOLDERS DIRECTLY INTO THE TRAINSET FOLDER before people will stop trying to put things in random folders and then go on Trainsim and post about why things don't work. Sometimes I do wonder if an exe might create fewer opportunities for people to install things wrong, but then I remember that zipping files is easier and I'm lazy.

#6 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 10 December 2023 - 09:19 AM

I've never liked running .exes from random people on the internet. Especially from certain parts of the planet.
I've gone as far as running then on an old air gaped computer and then copying them over, if it's something very intriguing.

Randy

#7 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 10 December 2023 - 12:52 PM

The same people that can skip your instructions about folder structure will be able to fsck up an exe install... I have no doubts. Some people just have a knack for doing nearly everything... wrong.

I'm just coming back from a 8 day river cruise... with a very competetent cruise director... who explainms things VERY CLEARLY... and at times it was still like he was herding cats. My faith in humanity was tested... and I'm starting to think we are doomed.

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 December 2023 - 01:02 PM

Zip files, most definitely -- for all the reasons previously mentioned. ....and no matter what one does, how many instructions and readmes are provided, how easy it is to unzip --- install --- whatever....some two-legged critter is going to bollux it up...period. No cure for it. We cannot prevent it.

#9 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 December 2023 - 03:14 PM

James Ross would like to develop a new method... AFAICT something inspired by how one or more flight sims does it. Based on the descriptions I'm not a fan but I could be wrong. Wait and see.

#10 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 10 December 2023 - 04:19 PM

Zip files, for everything above. Installing random exes don't sit well with me these days, and there's a special place in h3ll for those single-item (like a wagon or a scenery object) installers that add a folder structure with an uninstaller!

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users