• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blender 4.0 Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#1 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 09 November 2023 - 05:03 AM

With Blender.org's imminent release of 4.00, I have tested the S file exporter and can report, with minimal testing... that there are no issues with upgrading to the latest Blender version 4.0 and using the Exporter.

I have only tested with the Beta release... but there should be no changes next week when Blender 4.0 gets relased officially.

I do recommend that people stick with the LTS releases of Blender though...

#2 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 November 2023 - 07:57 AM

https://wiki.blender...lease_Notes/4.0
Due to driver issues, support for Intel HD4000 series GPUs has been dropped.

There goes my idea of running Blender on a Intel NUC. But I will see if that has been completely broken. Not having a supported GPU slows things down in Blender, but it would still run. Not having to use an Nvidia 4090 to do basic CAD/Modelling is still of value in my opinion. Low power/heat options, in the heat of the summer makes this interest doable.

I still have yet to comprehend EXACTLY what levels of backwards compatibility are built into the code for older .blend files which is truly sad. So much work has to be redone when "importing" older .blend work. Why there is no conversion unit is beyond me.

Something to explore, when I have the time and health to do it with.

For those who are given to do so, take a look at some of the Hacker News: https://news.ycombin...tem?id=38262315
With the recent musings for updating OR with payed developers, the history of Blender is in stark contrast. All of that because the user base is so much larger.

Steve

#3 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 November 2023 - 10:16 AM

support for Intel HD4000 series GPUs has been dropped

Thats really a shame... new features and improvements are coming at a really rapid pace.

Are you needing to always downgrade blend files from newer to older versions? Which version are you stuck at?

#4 User is offline   Jack@Elvas 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:All

Posted 14 November 2023 - 04:46 PM

View Postpwillard, on 14 November 2023 - 10:16 AM, said:

Thats really a shame... new features and improvements are coming at a really rapid pace.

Are you needing to always downgrade blend files from newer to older versions? Which version are you stuck at?

NUC's are discontinued now - were all of them stuck on the 4400 graphics, or did some of the more recent GPU's?

Looking at https://en.wikipedia...hics_Technology
it looks as if the 4400 is quite old, released 10 years back.

I'll assume you've checked your NUC and you have a 4400, but if not, it could be worth checking.

#5 Inactive_Hidetoshi6721_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 16 November 2023 - 06:15 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 14 November 2023 - 07:57 AM, said:

https://wiki.blender...lease_Notes/4.0
Due to driver issues, support for Intel HD4000 series GPUs has been dropped.

There goes my idea of running Blender on a Intel NUC. But I will see if that has been completely broken. Not having a supported GPU slows things down in Blender, but it would still run. Not having to use an Nvidia 4090 to do basic CAD/Modelling is still of value in my opinion. Low power/heat options, in the heat of the summer makes this interest doable.

I still have yet to comprehend EXACTLY what levels of backwards compatibility are built into the code for older .blend files which is truly sad. So much work has to be redone when "importing" older .blend work. Why there is no conversion unit is beyond me.

Something to explore, when I have the time and health to do it with.

For those who are given to do so, take a look at some of the Hacker News: https://news.ycombin...tem?id=38262315
With the recent musings for updating OR with payed developers, the history of Blender is in stark contrast. All of that because the user base is so much larger.

Steve

Honestly speaking, I hate the compatibility policy too. Hope someone makes an add-on for that. The only way right now is to either have Blender 3.6.x LTS only and miss on the latest features, or get both Blender 4 and 3.6.x LTS, needing unnecessary storage space.

#6 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 November 2023 - 09:35 AM

View Postpwillard, on 14 November 2023 - 10:16 AM, said:

2.65->2.79-fail-2.9 and above

I am not trying to do the reverse.

Steve

#7 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 December 2023 - 05:55 PM

I am just getting to experiment with Blender and coming from working with TSM for years I was curious if there was a way I could import my TSM files to Blender?

Thanks

Brandon

#8 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 05 December 2023 - 02:27 AM

Hi Brandon,

The conversion is via 3DCrafter, which can import .dst files from TSM.

Then in 3DCrafter, the model is exported to .3ds (3dstudio format), which can be imported by Blender.

Things like animations and texturing will need to be done again, and I had to re-scale the whole model by a factor of ten.

If you would like to PM me, I would be happy to try and convert a model for you.

Geoff

#9 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:28 PM

Well everyone! I was successful in importing one of my models into Blender tonight! The NYC 4-8-4 Niagara! I did this as a test to see if it worked and to make sure I was doing it the right way! Now the long tedious task of doing all of the rest of my projects! I want to thank everyone and especially a few of you (You know who you are) for the support and help as I make this journey to "The Dark Side" or "Bright Side" however you want to put it!

Brandon

Attached File  Screenshot 2023-12-06 205703.jpg (314.81K)
Number of downloads: 16

#10 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 07 December 2023 - 03:56 AM

And yes, I know, I need to buckle down and do more work on the Blender Content Creation Notebook...

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users