Elvas Tower: "Building" Water - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Building" Water Tips for making creek or river beds and using the water feature Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 24 January 2023 - 03:30 PM

I've been doing a lot more fiddling with moving water, with some success. There is a thread on this subject that got me started, it does have the "how to" instructions.

I went for a slightly murky look to match a river I'm trying to model. When the ripples are in motion, the slow moving water is very believable!

Attached File  warves ripples.jpg (107.11K)
Number of downloads: 11

There is no problem with overlapping a 2nd carspawner. The tugboat in the distance is still moving away from us, slightly faster than the water surface.

Attached File  shoreline ripples tug.jpg (84.14K)
Number of downloads: 10

#22 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 January 2023 - 05:02 PM

View PostSVRy_Steve, on 24 January 2023 - 03:30 PM, said:

I went for a slightly murky look to match a river I'm trying to model. When the ripples are in motion, the slow moving water is very believable!

Beautiful, it’s almost like the poles are reflected on the water surface. Just curious, does the moving water also go underneath the structures, in between the poles?

#23 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant

Posted 24 January 2023 - 05:15 PM

Yes, it is really just an 8 bit alpha texture on a large flat plate. Each one is a "car". It goes through everything within its area. The piling actually extend down to the bottom and show through the texture, but it does look like reflections. I just ran a train along the river, while the tugboat came past.

One thing about the flowing river, it starts at the beginning of the carspawner and slowly covers the river bed, a slow motion flood. So if the river flows slow and you make the path long, it can be quite a wait for the river to arrive.

#24 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 January 2023 - 06:03 PM

View PostWeter, on 24 January 2023 - 09:09 AM, said:

That's why many authors use berms, made as an *.s-model, but not by terraforming.

To flatten something, You can use FixedHeight mode of TSRE. For making smooth hills - make curve, as on maps, of dynamic track, then shooth it across future slope, altering it's height, and pulling ground to track on every stop, as was said before (action, looking like brushing hair)

Also, You can open tile *.raw-file in graphic editor (it'll appear as a square image in grayscale) and paint relief, then save. This

I have to play more with fixed height mode. Not sure if that can work localized or if it would destroy the height map that I loaded. I like the brushing hair technique and will try that out. I think though for the small scale I am trying to work on the berms idea could work. Are the berms objects in the shape of a river bank that are half underwater so to speak? Would it for instance be possible to make a half-pipe like object (as in snowboarding) and fill it halfway with water?

#25 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 January 2023 - 06:28 PM

Fixed height is mode of brush terraforming, when time of button pressing doesn't affect height/depth of supface pulling.
You set desired height and brush will flatten the ground beneath its tip to this value. Nothing happens with rest surface.

Sure, author can model everything. Look Lamoille county route topic as an example.

I'm currently use multi-pass technique: one pass with 3-10(20) brush to lower river bottom down to desired fixed height, then careful multi-step gradual lifting banks with thinner brushes and higher fixed height. Step by step, meter after meter.
Finally, pinpoint correction of "saw-teeths" by 1-sized brush, after water surface turned on at desired level.

Steve, that's another wonder by Yourself (with piles) bravo!

#26 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant

Posted 24 January 2023 - 06:49 PM

To illustrate using fixed height, I used a 20 size brush to level a large area at 8' elevation, then used a 2 size at 4' to dig the trench for the river, following a path that made use of the grid shape. There was still some tweaking of individual jaggies, but not very many. Then I selected each tile and toggled the water, which I'd set to 6'.

Attached File(s)

#27 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant

Posted 24 January 2023 - 06:51 PM

For what it's worth, the route I'm experimenting on was done back around 2003, so the structures are rather dated in quality!

#28 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 24 January 2023 - 10:07 PM

View PostSVRy_Steve, on 24 January 2023 - 03:30 PM, said:

I've been doing a lot more fiddling with moving water, with some success.

Holy moley!!
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jawdrop2.gif

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users